BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2013 4:32 pm  #1921

Re: Finally: The Sherlock/John picture thread

ancientsgate wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

...testing restaurants

Both are fabulous actors, but IMO Ben is a genius. Look at his body posture here-- look at Sherlock's intensity, impatience, and single-minded focus. I am in awe of the man (Ben, not Sherlock, although it's hard to separate the two when Ben's doing his Sherlock thing).

You are absolutely right, AG. Ben is just amazing as Sherlock. Nobody could have played Sherlock better then him. Everything about his character from the way he walks, talks and uses his facial expressions is so beyond perfect for the character Sherlock. Ben does a stunning job pulling off a very cerebral, emotionally detached detective. And later in season 2 how he portrays Sherlock becoming more 'human' is amazing!

But while we are on the topic I would also like to give Martin a little shout out here too. Martin Freeman is an unbelievable actor. The emotion he conveys on his face is breathtaking.

And I also want to note the sheer perfect chemistry Ben and Martin have on screen. They each play their role so phenomenally because of their own talent and because of each other. They make each other better.

I tell you right now, if something ever happens and one of them and they can't continue with their role, it'll be over. I am pretty sure the BBC would not replace Ben or Martin, but even if they did, I think it would kill 95% of their viewership for the show.

Benedict Cumberbatch IS Sherlock Holmes.

Martin Freeman IS Dr. John Watson.

And for me personally, even if they did yet another adaptation of the show, I would have no need to watch it. I don’t even watch Elementary. If it’s not Ben and Martin, it’s not Sherlock and John. Period.

----------------------------------------------------------
You're on the canon ground, I'm up in crack ship space
Let's start a shipping war, don't care if I get hate.
Don't like my pairings, well, then you can hit the bricks.
This is my OTP, I'll go down with this ship!

November 29, 2013 4:35 pm  #1922

I find it difficult to disagree with any of this.
All hail BBC Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 29, 2013 4:39 pm  #1923

I quite agree with you, Neptune. Ben and Martin are a wonderful, absolute lucky choice!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 29, 2013 4:40 pm  #1924

besleybean wrote:

Benedict's favourite shot of them.

Which?  Some context would be nice for your comments, bb. I'm intrigued, so here I am asking. I wonder which one is B's fave.

November 29, 2013 4:40 pm  #1925

Benedict was a totally deliberate choice.
Martin took  a little longer...he beat Matt to the part!
EDIT:  oh and I referred to the picture above my comment!

Benedict said on the DVD commentary, this was his favourite shot of him and Martin, in The Great Game.

Last edited by besleybean (November 29, 2013 4:42 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 29, 2013 4:46 pm  #1926

Neptune Centari wrote:

....Benedict Cumberbatch IS Sherlock Holmes. Martin Freeman IS Dr. John Watson. And for me personally, even if they did yet another adaptation of the show, I would have no need to watch it. I don’t even watch Elementary. If it’s not Ben and Martin, it’s not Sherlock and John. Period.

I agree about how they're irreplaceable. I think everyone agrees about that, including the actors themselves. It would be do the show with them, or don't do the show. Nothing in between would do.

I've actually come to enjoy Elementary. The first season was slow-going for me, and I felt as though JLM couldn't figure out exactly who his Sherlock was supposed to be. But this season, it's much better, he fits in that Sherlock's skin much better, and they've made him a bit more likeable and human, which is nice. The female Joan still bothers me; I find that actress emotionally distant or something; I can't get into her. Plus I don't even think she dresses appropriately for the role. But all in all, I semi-happily watch Elementary now, especially since TWIC didn't rush to get that Sherlock in bed with that Joan. At least, not yet.

November 29, 2013 4:50 pm  #1927

@ ancientsgate:
This one is Benedict's favourite picture of him and Martin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 29, 2013 5:02 pm  #1928

Thank you, but I did say that!

November 29, 2013 5:07 pm  #1929

Does Benedict explain why it is his favourite shot of the two of them? I really should watch the commentary...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 29, 2013 5:10 pm  #1930

You mean you haven't?!
No, just says it's a fabulous shot.

November 29, 2013 5:10 pm  #1931

besleybean wrote:

Yes, besley, you did say that but I think ancientsgate wasn't sure which one of the two pics was Ben's favourite.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 29, 2013 5:12 pm  #1932

No sorry we cross posted.
I edited to say it was the one from Great Game...I took the other to be from Blind Banker!

Last edited by besleybean (November 29, 2013 5:18 pm)

November 29, 2013 5:14 pm  #1933

Ok - I see! Well, but this has been quite a day, wasn't it?

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 29, 2013 5:15 pm  #1934

besleybean wrote:

Not quite. You said it was the picture just above your post, but when I scrolled back to look, there were two pictures, so.... I appreciate you guys trying to clear up my question, anyway. Now I know what you were talking about.

And after all that, I sit here scratching my head and wondering why in heaven that's his favorite picture. I will never understand men, lololololol.

Coming back to edit. Oh, you meant the pic of them at the table in the restaurant window, the one I admired his posture in? If so, now THAT I can understand being his fave, not the one of them walking away in the muddy parking lot in the rain thing.

Last edited by ancientsgate (November 29, 2013 5:17 pm)

November 29, 2013 5:20 pm  #1935

No sorry, it's the latter.
I think he likes their silhouettes against the grey scene.

November 29, 2013 5:30 pm  #1936

besleybean wrote:

No sorry, it's the latter.
I think he likes their silhouettes against the grey scene.

So it is the muddy parking lot pic that's Ben's fave?  Hmm, strange pick, IMO.

Something I'd appreciate, bb, is if you'd put a bit of context in your posts. I'm always interested in what you have to say! But sometimes, with no context, I'm left confused because I don't "get" what you mean. And at certain times of day, cross-posts are common, so you're rarely responding to what I see just before what you post. Thanks.

November 30, 2013 4:26 am  #1937

I admit that caught my breath a little….. 
Such….  pretty….   lights….     

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 30, 2013 7:59 am  #1938

Oh, those beautifully arranged promo pics!

btw: LIGHT is always welcome when it comes to deciphering sloppy ancient handwritings...

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 30, 2013 8:58 am  #1939

Ah, yes...! I need more... uhm... lights!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 30, 2013 9:21 am  #1940

I think Blind Banker shows the boys working really well together.

Board footera