BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2013 3:39 pm  #1

"Strong ... Link between Sensory Discriminations and Intelligence"

This might explain both solar system and gay pants 

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822%2813%2900494-6?script=true

German article about this experiment:
Intelligenz heißt Ausblendung von "unwichtigen" Informationen
http://www.heise.de/tp/artikel/39/39193/1.html

Last edited by Harriet (May 26, 2013 3:40 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 26, 2013 5:56 pm  #2

Re: "Strong ... Link between Sensory Discriminations and Intelligence"

These are very interesting articles and certainly the German article goes into far more detail. My hypothesis would be that smaller threats are, when one considers the period  of time that mankind has been on Earth, a greater threats  than a larger threats. Certainly, being able to detect movement at a distance ( when a large object appears to be small) is important! Spotting movement at long distances would allow for counfer-measures or , in the case of hunting, collaboration of some kind. A higher IQ person, who detects smaller movements more easily would also, perhaps, be more adept at activities such as hand-to-hand combat etc.  human evolution occurs over long periods of time, therefore we would not expect prowess at spotting small movements to be developed over short periods of time.

The thing that made me smile about these studies is that, when I was on safari, I was really, really, good at spotting small movements at distance (better, believe it or not, than the ranger who was with us).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 26, 2013 6:15 pm  #3

Re: "Strong ... Link between Sensory Discriminations and Intelligence"

Interesting. Thanks, Harriet.

Maybe the people with a higher IQ were just bored by the bigger objects because they were too easy to see and they stopped paying attention.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

Board footera