BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



January 31, 2014 8:55 am  #61


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

And what would that be, gently? Come on, say it, don't be shy! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/stoned.png


___________________________________________________
"Am I the current King of England?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

 
 

January 31, 2014 8:59 am  #62


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Well...we survived it...just! The only Shakespeare my young friend had seen before was The Tempest. It is safe to say, this is nothing like The Tempest.

Having had a few hours to organise my thoughts here goes:

This is a brilliant production. The small space was used very effectively and made the experience highly visceral. The use of the ladder/s was also excellent. Costuming was perfect. Music/sound effects perfect. I loved the pared back staging, the use of the graffiti, the use of the chairs.

Mark's performance was super. The humour, the horror at Coriolanus' inept behaviour, the utter heartbreak. He is, perhaps, a bit young for the character he plays but he pulled it off. The actor playing Coriolanus' mother was wonderful, totally believable. The other characters, especially the 'plebs' and their political 'representatives' were excellent. This is not a big cast but in the small space they created a wide range of characters.  I felt that the actor playing Coriolanus' wife just lacked 'something', passion, conviction? Not sure, cannot quite put my finger on it (I don't think it is because she gets to kiss him and sit on his lap!)

Now Tom's performance...this is one of those times when, watching a play, you realise rapidly that you are watching something very, very unusual and special. An astounding performance on every level: physically, emotionally. Totally in character throughout, totally believable. The cadences of voice, the facial movements, the physical movements, the range of emotion. His is not an easy character to like in many ways: he despises the 'people', he is a neo-fascist, he is however a character that people would be obsessed with (for good or bad). He is a brilliant soldier who cannot adapt to civilian (political) life.

Yes, it is a very bloody play and we were both traumatised by the end. The fact that this is one of Shakespeare's tragedies should have been sufficient warning. It wasn't! The way that this catastrophe builds throughout the play, to an almost unbearable crescendo at the end...We should have taken tissues...lots of them (Tom certainly needed them in the last act!)

I have never come away from a theatrical performance so shaken. I think I may go and see it once more on the encore evening 8th March (if I can put myself through this again). We had to pop to a pub on the way back and have a glass of wine to calm our nerves! My young friend said (after dabbing away her tears on the edge of her sweatshirt sleeves) 'What have you done to me? You said come and watch a bit of Shakespeare. I'm a mess!' As I said: The Tempest this is not.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

January 31, 2014 9:08 am  #63


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

SolarSystem wrote:

And what would that be, gently? Come on, say it, don't be shy! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/stoned.png

LOL... what do you think? Just booked a ticket. Yesterday I was in bed at around 1am, get up again at 5.30am. Hey, another hour less sleep then... no problem... all in the name of art. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170428/gxfakjvq.png
Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

 
 

January 31, 2014 9:29 am  #64


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Ars Gratia Artis! 

I would also like to give a special award to Tom's trousers in this.  That actually sounds much worse having written it down! 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

January 31, 2014 9:35 am  #65


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Davina wrote:

Well...we survived it...just! The only Shakespeare my young friend had seen before was The Tempest. It is safe to say, this is nothing like The Tempest.

Having had a few hours to organise my thoughts here goes:

This is a brilliant production. The small space was used very effectively and made the experience highly visceral. The use of the ladder/s was also excellent. Costuming was perfect. Music/sound effects perfect. I loved the pared back staging, the use of the graffiti, the use of the chairs.

Mark's performance was super. The humour, the horror at Coriolanus' inept behaviour, the utter heartbreak. He is, perhaps, a bit young for the character he plays but he pulled it off. The actor playing Coriolanus' mother was wonderful, totally believable. The other characters, especially the 'plebs' and their political 'representatives' were excellent. This is not a big cast but in the small space they created a wide range of characters. I felt that the actor playing Coriolanus' wife just lacked 'something', passion, conviction? Not sure, cannot quite put my finger on it (I don't think it is because she gets to kiss him and sit on his lap!)

Now Tom's performance...this is one of those times when, watching a play, you realise rapidly that you are watching something very, very unusual and special. An astounding performance on every level: physically, emotionally. Totally in character throughout, totally believable. The cadences of voice, the facial movements, the physical movements, the range of emotion. His is not an easy character to like in many ways: he despises the 'people', he is a neo-fascist, he is however a character that people would be obsessed with (for good or bad). He is a brilliant soldier who cannot adapt to civilian (political) life.

Yes, it is a very bloody play and we were both traumatised by the end. The fact that this is one of Shakespeare's tragedies should have been sufficient warning. It wasn't! The way that this catastrophe builds throughout the play, to an almost unbearable crescendo at the end...We should have taken tissues...lots of them (Tom certainly needed them in the last act!)

I have never come away from a theatrical performance so shaken. I think I may go and see it once more on the encore evening 8th March (if I can put myself through this again). We had to pop to a pub on the way back and have a glass of wine to calm our nerves! My young friend said (after dabbing away her tears on the edge of her sweatshirt sleeves) 'What have you done to me? You said come and watch a bit of Shakespeare. I'm a mess!' As I said: The Tempest this is not.

 
I love your review, exactly mirrrors my own feelings! This was a very emotional play, towards the end I really thought Hiddleston was going to lose it for a moment, he seemed to have gotten a bit carried away by his own performance (but I guess this is just my impression, because I was so shaken myself), but it was just brilliant, it was so moving.
 


------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."
 
 

January 31, 2014 9:40 am  #66


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Davina wrote:

I would also like to give a special award to Tom's trousers in this. That actually sounds much worse having written it down!

But it is so, so true! http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png


___________________________________________________
"Am I the current King of England?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

 
 

January 31, 2014 9:51 am  #67


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

the_dancing_woman wrote:

I love your review, exactly mirrrors my own feelings! This was a very emotional play, towards the end I really thought Hiddleston was going to lose it for a moment, he seemed to have gotten a bit carried away by his own performance (but I guess this is just my impression, because I was so shaken myself), but it was just brilliant, it was so moving.

I had pretty much the same impression, it felt a bit as if he, Tom, really had to pull himself together again.
And can it be that he had a bit of a cold? In quieter scenes I had the impression as if his voice was just a teeny bit hoarse. And his eyes were a bit watery repeatedly, even in scenes that didn't really call for any tears...?

For me it was interesting to see how you can do things a little bit differently if you chose to. I think it was an interesting choice to cast a comparably young actor as Coriolanus, that's also what the director said in that interview during the intermission. I guess that's why the whole play felt a bit different to me than Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus (I really recommend this film, btw!). Ralph's Coriolanus comes across as far more outrageous and for me it is quite difficult to identify with him. Tom's Coriolanus on the other hand does have some qualities that make me go 'okay, alright, I tend to understand why you are doing this'.
But in the end that's probably the beauty of theatre, you can take one play and do various things with it.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 31, 2014 9:55 am)


___________________________________________________
"Am I the current King of England?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

 
 

January 31, 2014 5:11 pm  #68


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Forgot to tell you my funny story!
Soon as it started, I heard a voice behind me say:  isn't that Mycroft?


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

January 31, 2014 6:04 pm  #69


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

That is so funny! I did think of Mycroft every time he tapped his stomach though! 

Thank you for the compliments on the review the_dancing_woman. It was a powerhouse of a performance. It was the 'mother' bit that really got to me!

This play will be broadcast again in NT encore at cinemas on February 13th. I think I shall go and see it again, forewarned is forearmed (military analogy seems appropriate here) and I shall be taking tissues!

I love the phrase: 'the beauty of theatre' as well SolarSystem.

I shall be taking note of footwear this time!  Maybe....

Another positive is that I think I have made a new convert to Shakespeare (if she ever gets over the trauma). Gosh it was horrific. 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

January 31, 2014 6:09 pm  #70


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Sorry Davina, when you're being all cerebral and cultured...
But I have to say:
I also enjoyed watching the row of fan girls in front of me...who were very much enjoying Tom!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

January 31, 2014 6:18 pm  #71


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

My friend and I were fangirling, too, in various scenes. You can have both, culture and fangirling, definitely. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/wink.png


___________________________________________________
"Am I the current King of England?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

 
 

January 31, 2014 6:24 pm  #72


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Of course!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

January 31, 2014 9:09 pm  #73


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

I am very good at seeming to be cerebral and cultured!    Clearly my interest in Tom's trousers is purely academic! 

I am now smirking!

Actually there were an awful lot of fangirls there last night, of all ages. You could just tell by the reaction when the director and her interviewer mentioned him being voted the sexiest man in the World.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

January 31, 2014 9:11 pm  #74


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

I just thought it was both hilarious and a sign I've been in fandom too long.
Every look/word...I knew what the fan girls were going to react to!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

January 31, 2014 9:18 pm  #75


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

And...my God...he is gorgeous ! This play has, frankly, haunted me rather today. Parts keep coming back in flashback e.g. The scrabbling to pick up the votes to form the hydra! And that kiss!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

January 31, 2014 9:20 pm  #76


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

Sava wrote:

There are 500 more tickets for the Screening at Cinestar Düsseldorf (Jan, 30th) if anyone is interested. Cinema 3 will show Coriolanus, too.

Sava, I have to thank you a thousand time! Thanks to you a friend of mine got the chance to see the play! Another friend and I had bought our tickets months ago and I told my friend about the play and she was so sad because she didn't get the chance to see it, and then I saw your post and I told her immediately, and so she got a ticket after all!

It was really amazing! Ton was great, of course, but I was also thrilled by Mark Gatiss. He was really, really good. And when we got on the train after the play there were Sherlockians everywhere! That's what heaven must be like.


--------------------------------
http://25.media.tumblr.com/bc09e50c5e891b4ddace196f1395a264/tumblr_mz38vdPwKL1rxzdxqo3_500.png

"Yes, of course I forgive you."
 

February 7, 2014 10:50 am  #77


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

I am off to see it again on February 13th. Tis time I will be wearing my full metal emotional jacket and I shall be taking tissues! Glutton for punishment eh! 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdq1pcLCUR1rs9hrro1_500.jpg
     Thread Starter
 

March 7, 2014 9:23 am  #78


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

I watched this yesterday with two lovely members from the forum and I was very, very impressed. I had read the play in preparation and found it quite dry and not really among Shakespeare's best. But the production proves once more that Shakespeare did not write for the classroom but for the stage. Wow, this was really amazing drama. I loved the reduced design with only some chairs, ladders, and swords for props. The actors were so good and make the characters really come to life, far more than I had thought possible after reading the play. So many things seemed relevant to the 21st century and this without forced modernisations, they had the courage to rely just on Shakespeare's words.
Tom and Mark are brilliant in this, and the cast as a whole is wonderful. I am very glad that I had the chance to see this. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/happy.png

And although Coriolanus is a right a****** at times the end was quite heartbreaking. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 7, 2014 10:06 am)


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

March 7, 2014 9:39 am  #79


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

SusiGo wrote:

And although Coriolanus is right a****** at times the end was quite heartbreaking. 

It was, wasn't it? Tom did a brilliant job, but then again the scene with his family gives him a great opportunity to show all kinds of emotions. I really held my bretah a couple of times.
And glad to hear the three of you had a great evening! So you all behaved for once...? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/tongue.png

 


___________________________________________________
"Am I the current King of England?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

 
 

March 7, 2014 10:05 am  #80


Re: Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus

For once? What could you possibly mean by that? http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum