BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2012 12:19 am  #1

Dirk Gently

New funny detective series on the BBC. Apparently they're based on books but I've never read them. Only seen the first episode but planning to watch the 2nd on iPlayer soon. I guess I would describe it as a comedy and a lot of the way the cases get worked out seems to happen by luck, although he is kind of clever as well and does some deducing of his own. I reckon there's a lot of Sherlock influence in the writing - quirky and unusual detective with vaguely antisocial behaviours and a more down to earth assistant who has to put up with him and apologise for him. It's definitely worth a look and has some good laugh out loud moments.

I'm basically just trying to find things to distract me till summer 2013.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 23, 2012 7:07 pm  #2

Re: Dirk Gently

sorry I never heard from Dirk Gently but at first I thought of George Gently played by Martin Shaw. I really liked it. :-D
But I also liked "the Professionals".

May 23, 2012 7:52 pm  #3

Dirk Gently was a character created by Douglas Adams and he is a 'holistic' detective.

The humour is not entirely dissimilar to 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' but then again I enjoyed those books far more than the Gently ones.

As for the TV adaptation I got to watch it on a flight - I wasn't impressed, not saying it couldn't get better once the production team ironed things out I just thought it was very lacking.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 28, 2012 5:34 pm  #4

Dirk Gently is being axed by the BBC after the first series.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera