BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2014 9:49 am  #161

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Love, Nina by Nina Stibbe.
Was recommended by a lady working in my local bookstore as being hilarious - a Nanny's story of a year working with a family whose regular visitors included the writer Alan Bennett.
I have to say that I've not laughed once yet, and there's only so many times you want to read about what the family and Alan ate for supper!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 2, 2014 11:45 am  #162

Trying to decide what to read next.  Besides fan fic. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 4, 2014 9:08 am  #163

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I'm considering picking up 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy next. I loved it the last time I read it. 

Yes, it's very intense and realistically paints a picture of how one imagines the aftermath of an atomic war.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

April 4, 2014 9:11 am  #164

tonnaree wrote:

Trying to decide what to read next.  Besides fan fic. 

I can highly recommend "The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden" by Jonas Jonasson (the English title is a bit dull, though, the original title could be translated with "The Analphabet Who Was Able to Calculate"). It's very witty and funny!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

April 4, 2014 7:01 pm  #165

Having finished my last book and before I start my next, I'll be re-reading the Canon on my new ereader! Well at least some of it, while I'm in London.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2014 10:18 am  #166

Daniel Kahneman- Thinking, fast and slow
Interesting book about bias, jumping to conclusions, ambiguity and the tendency of the human mind to draw connections and invent causality where there are none. (Have a look at the Reichenbach theory thread and all our theories and you know what the author talks about )
People tend to throw good money after bad rather than overthinking and risking the feeling of regret.

April 22, 2014 10:45 am  #167

Light reading ... Nick Hornby's "Juliet-Naked". The first pages were already very funny.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 22, 2014 11:00 am  #168

"Touchstone" by Laurie R King. Quite an unusual story. Intriguing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 22, 2014 12:27 pm  #169

"American Purgatorio" by John Haskell.

Yes, Mr. Cumberbatch has had a huge impact on my Amazon wishlist. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 22, 2014 4:25 pm  #170

Just finished a brilliant novel, only to discover it's the 1st in a trilogy!
Stuart Clark's: The Sky's dark labyrinth.  About the history of science and it's fight with religion.
Now reading a technical science history book:The Lunar Men by Jenny Uglow.
It's great, but tiny print and tons of facts!
No way I am going to finish it by book group next week!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2014 4:45 pm  #171

"Physics of the Future" by Michio Kaku
Fairly interesting vision on how our life may change by 2100.

The Road goes ever on and on...

April 24, 2014 4:50 pm  #172

"A Storm of Swords" from the ASOIAF series. 

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

April 25, 2014 11:23 am  #173

Last edited by Ivy (April 27, 2014 7:56 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

April 25, 2014 11:54 am  #174

sj4iy wrote:

Are you watching the show too?

I read all of the books after watching the first season of Game of Thrones.  This particular book I ended up flinging against the wall.   

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 25, 2014 12:48 pm  #175

I read the first GoT book and managed to complete it, but it really wasn't my cup of tea, so I've never watched the TV show...sometimes I annoy myself, because I never seem to have any liking for on-trend books or TV series (apart from Sherlock of course!)
Makes me feel like there's something wrong with me!
Anyway, I'm currently reading Crown and Country by David Starkey, about the history of the monarchy in Britain from the time of Roman rule to the present age.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 25, 2014 5:44 pm  #176

tonnaree wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

Are you watching the show too?

I read all of the books after watching the first season of Game of Thrones.  This particular book I ended up flinging against the wall.   

GoT is our favorite show right now ^^  My husband had the same reaction to the Red Wedding...he told me what happened before I read it, so I didn't get as angry about it.  I'm currently re-reading certain parts of the books and very impatiently waiting for The Winds of Winter to come out.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

April 27, 2014 2:54 pm  #177

Supernatural novels, based on the show of the same name ^^ They're a great read, and the authors have written Sam and Dean as they are played in the show, very accurate 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

April 27, 2014 7:06 pm  #178

kittykat wrote:

Supernatural novels, based on the show of the same name ^^ They're a great read, and the authors have written Sam and Dean as they are played in the show, very accurate 

Are these books based on the episodes or they're just totally different stories? I'd love to read them anyway but I can't get them anywhere

Last edited by Deilenn (April 27, 2014 7:12 pm)

The Road goes ever on and on...

April 27, 2014 7:52 pm  #179

Deilenn wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Are these books based on the episodes or they're just totally different stories? I'd love to read them anyway but I can't get them anywhere

They're brand new stories, but they take place between episodes of the show. I've only managed to track down two so far, and they take place between episodes of Season 7  Try any kind of bookstore you can find.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

April 29, 2014 9:41 am  #180

So basically they are a kind of fanfiction? Imagine getting paid for writing that. 

Board footera