BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2014 5:51 pm  #141

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Let the right one in from John Ajvide Lindqvist 
A Swedish director made a beautiful swedish movie from it, called Lat den rätte komma in. But once again, American director did a remake!!!! (sorry, I'm so filled up with anger when I think about all the remakes). 

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 21, 2014 7:16 pm  #142

Ozymandias wrote:

Let the right one in from John Ajvide Lindqvist 
A Swedish director made a beautiful swedish movie from it, called Lat den rätte komma in. But once again, American director did a remake!!!! (sorry, I'm so filled up with anger when I think about all the remakes). 

I don't like all the remakes either.  I'm an American but there's no need for every foriegn film to get an English remake.  I loved Let The Right One In!  *shivers*  I did break down and watch the remake but it was so close to the original why even bother?  Except so that people who are too lazy to read subtitles can go see it.

Not even Daniel Craig could intice me to go see the American remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 27, 2014 11:28 pm  #143

I am reading *when my kids or Sherlock aren't holding me hostage*  Ant & Dec's Ooh What A Lovely Pair.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

March 29, 2014 7:47 pm  #144

For some reason I decided to pick up Hamlet once again... Wonder why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 29, 2014 10:33 pm  #145

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

For some reason I decided to pick up Hamlet once again... Wonder why?

Can't possibly think ;)

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

March 30, 2014 1:03 pm  #146

Parade´s End.

March 30, 2014 2:41 pm  #147

The Final Solution by Michael Chabon.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 30, 2014 2:45 pm  #148

Sounds cheery!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 30, 2014 3:24 pm  #149

I know what you mean. Quite interesting, combining a Jewish boys fate with that of a very old detective who keeps bees and whose name we never get to know. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 30, 2014 3:25 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 30, 2014 3:39 pm  #150

Ooh, sounds fab now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 30, 2014 4:12 pm  #151

Medical Statistics at a Glance- very boring
'Never Mind' by Patrick Melrose- I have only just started it but I'm very intrigued. I wish I could forget the stats and just get on with reading this book cover to cover.

March 30, 2014 6:03 pm  #152

I liked the Patrick Melrose books very much. 

March 30, 2014 6:30 pm  #153

I'm considering picking up 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy next. I loved it the last time I read it. 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 30, 2014 6:50 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 31, 2014 8:07 am  #154

Have just finished The Missionary Position by Christopher Hitchens - a differing perspective on the work of Mother Theresa; more of an essay than a book really.
Looking for something to really get lost in, now - it's been ages since I've stumbled across a real unputdownable read!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 31, 2014 12:28 pm  #155

tonnaree wrote:

About half way through with "Joyland" by Stephen King.
Been a SK fan all my life.  Read "Carrie" in middle school and have read everything the man has ever written since. 

Wanted to add that this was a lovely touching story.  I would reccomend it even if you're not a necessarily a big SK fan.  This one isn't really horror.  It's more along the lines of his more emotional works such as Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile.   It's also a very quick and easy read.  I could've finished it in an afternoon if I'd had the free time.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 1, 2014 3:13 pm  #156

I found BeautifulFiction's Sherlock-stories recently and am reading "To Light Another's Path" and "Electric Pink Hand Grenade" at the moment, with some Peter Robinson-novels, legal documents and cooking recipes in between.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

April 1, 2014 4:06 pm  #157

tonnaree wrote:

eurydike wrote:

I found BeautifulFiction's Sherlock-stories recently and am reading "To Light Another's Path" and "Electric Pink Hand Grenade" at the moment, with some Peter Robinson-novels, legal documents and cooking recipes in between.

BeaufifulFiction is wonderful.  I've read all of her stories twice.  Have you read Midnight Blue Serenity?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 1, 2014 4:36 pm  #158

tonnaree wrote:

BeaufifulFiction is wonderful.  I've read all of her stories twice.  Have you read Midnight Blue Serenity?

Not yet. But I'll get to that one with time. She's got so many great stories which - as I dare to admit - might partly be to blame for my recently arisen liking of BBC-Sherlock.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

April 2, 2014 8:34 am  #159

Just reading "Birthdays for the dead" by Stuart McBride. It's settled in Scotland, the storyline is entertaining enough to get going
BUT
the language is dreadful in my opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

April 2, 2014 9:01 am  #160

"Christopher And His Kind" by Christopher Isherwood. Out of interest and for research purposes. 

Board footera