BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2014 1:24 pm  #201

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

When the kids give me peace to read it yes.  I have already seen the movie and although sad I enjoyed it.  

I get all my books from my local chariity shop.

I still have The Help.  Derek Acorah's Haunted Britain & The Da Vinci code to get through. although I reckon the last one I might give up on lol.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

May 25, 2014 1:56 pm  #202

I like The Help.
I definitely wouldn't read any Acorah.
I've read all but the latest Dan Brown, they're good adventure stories.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 25, 2014 4:29 pm  #203

Tinks wrote:

Sounds interesting
I'm reading Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantell - a fictionalised account of the early life of Thomas Cromwell.
I'm reading these back to front actually, as I read Bring up The Bodies (the second instalment) first!!

I did that as well, and ever since I finished them, I can't wait for the third one!

Besleybean: The Help is such a great book, I loved it very much!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

May 26, 2014 6:17 pm  #204

I can't wait for the third one, Kerkerian - unfortunately it seems that it may be a bit of a wait (still, we should be used to waiting for things, eh? )
I recently saw Bring up the Bodies on stage in London; it was fantastic!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 26, 2014 8:20 pm  #205

Tinks wrote:

I can't wait for the third one, Kerkerian - unfortunately it seems that it may be a bit of a wait (still, we should be used to waiting for things, eh? )
I recently saw Bring up the Bodies on stage in London; it was fantastic!

Oh yes, we're good at waiting!
I'm going to see Bring Up the Bodies and Wolf Hall on stage in August, can't wait for that either! And now I've read that the BBC is going to make Wolf Hall into a mini series and that both Mark Gatiss and Jonathan Aris will be in it!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

May 29, 2014 8:46 am  #206

Enjoy the stage show - I'm sure you will
I didn't know about the TV adaptation - that's exciting!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 29, 2014 9:07 am  #207

I'm reading a Swedish crime series by Arne Dahl revolving around a really great ensemble called A-Team (not the ones from the tv series back in the eighties, obviously...)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 29, 2014 4:52 pm  #208

I am half way through The Yellow Birds and now desperately want to see Benedict in this movie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 29, 2014 5:45 pm  #209

I just finished "The Briefcase" by Kawakami Hiromi and liked it very much. 

June 4, 2014 1:17 pm  #210

Having finished '12 Years a Slave' I have now started the first part of the third book in the Game of Thrones series. A bit different.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 4, 2014 4:36 pm  #211

Oh, I was going to read 12 years a Slave next...but I am so into my history of science reading at the moment,.
I am now reading ANOTHER history of science book:The Fellowship, by John Gribbin.

Last edited by besleybean (June 4, 2014 4:37 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 7, 2014 10:32 am  #212

TeeJay wrote:

I read "A Street Cat Named Bob" this morning. What a lovely story, and a bit of a tear jerker too. I've already purchased part two, looks like that'll be on the list of things to read on my trip to England next week.

I'm almost finished with it. These two can bring a  on your face.
Who doesn't want to have a friend like Bob. Can't wait to read the second one.

Alone is what I have. Alone protects me.

June 7, 2014 1:42 pm  #213

A client emailed me copy of the complete Sherlock Holmes, so I've been getting into that in my non-copious spare time.

I've read a couple of stories, most notably 'A Scandal in Bohemia' and keep highlighting the bits that inspired all three series. I'm getting a better appreciation for our modern Sherlock and how much of a love story it is to Conan Doyle's tales. I can imagine our Sherlock mellowing out and continuing to grow up to be the middle aged Holmes portrayed in Conan Doyle's stories.

I'm also enjoying the stories in their own right and am impressed by how fresh and modern they feel.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 7, 2014 1:59 pm  #214

They were quite ground breaking at the time.

June 7, 2014 5:46 pm  #215

Picked up the newest Stephen King book today.  "Mr. Mercedes."  That will keep me occupied for a bit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 7, 2014 5:47 pm  #216

(Snigger.  I have a new colleague called Stephen King!)

June 11, 2014 4:08 pm  #217

Scary! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2014 4:40 pm  #218

I'm still on the history.
This time general British and also comic!
John O'Farrell's An utterly impartial history of Britain.

August 4, 2014 12:27 pm  #219

I'm still totally into Peter Robinson's DCI Banks novels.
Right now, I'm reading the German translation of "Piece of My Heart".

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

August 4, 2014 12:46 pm  #220

Having finished Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath and Edward Vallance's A Radical History of Britain, I'm now ready to start another book.
But I can't now find the one I was going to read, so I think I'll read Mark's novel instead.

Board footera