BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2013 8:15 pm  #1

The Great Gatsby- there will be spoilers!

W have got tickets, the girlie and I, to see The Great Gatsby in 3D (yes I got it right this time) on Tuesday (cheap ticket night). I'll post a review (of sorts) once  have seen it. Wondering if anyone else has seen it yet? We (I.e. girlie and I, are great fans of the director Baz Luhrman (Moulin Rouge). I have avoided all other reviews so far because I like to make my own judgement (although girlie will, no doubt, have her own input).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 17, 2013 8:19 pm  #2

Re: The Great Gatsby- there will be spoilers!

I'd like to see it as I know the 1974 film with Robert Redford. And I love the book as well.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 17, 2013 8:37 pm  #3

I read the book years ago and my girlie read/studied it much more recently. I loved the Robert Redford version, although not as much as the book, as I recall. I think it will be colourful, lavish and will assault the senses. If it is half as good as Moulin Rouge it will be good enough for me. Hannah (girlie) is concerned that Carey Mulligan will ruin her character- having seen her in 'Shame' I think/hope she will not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2013 6:49 am  #4

I just realised yesterday it is a Baz Luhrman film, because I watched last Fridays episode of the Graham Norton Show. I also didn't know Baz Luhrman is not gay (I always thought he is), that's somehow disappointing.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 21, 2013 8:14 am  #5

Why did you think he is gay? Is it the bright colours and lavish costumes? That would be a stereotyping thing going on there. 

May 21, 2013 8:46 am  #6

Davina wrote:

Why did you think he is gay? Is it the bright colours and lavish costumes? That would be a stereotyping thing going on there.

No, not at all. I wasn't thinking about colours and costumes.(only uneducated people do sterotyping) I saw several interview with him in the past. It was just a feeling, don't know why exactly. But I'm not the only one who thought that, I know now.

Last edited by Ivy (May 21, 2013 8:47 am)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 21, 2013 9:45 pm  #7

So, we've seen the film. Now for the verdict...

Leonardo di Caprio is absolutely, astoundingly wonderful in this as the lead character- more about this later.

Visually the film is a treat, costumes, sets and some great cinematographic moments. There are some great close up, two camera focused scenes. The use of text on screen (sound familiar?) was very effective, especially the switch from handwritten to typewritten script.

Musically, there are some wonderful moments of original scored music and Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (for example). We are not totally convinced by the mixture of modern with music of the time. The scene which uses Lana Del Rey's track is however utterly brilliant, focussing on Gatsby the whole time.

Daisy (Carey Mulligan) is, disappointingly, portrayed as something of a victim in this film. She is NOT a victim in the book. She IS a first rate bitch in the novel. This is disappointing because it makes her treatment of Gatsby seem more reasonable, less careless. Her child is only shown right near the end which is odd and loses possible impact.
Tom (Joel Edgerton) is well played but again not really faithful to the book.
Nick (Tobey Maguire) again is portrayed differently in the book. He should be a less than reliable narrator but this is only once alluded to in the film. His placement in a sanatorium, whilst giving a motivation for writing down the story, is perhaps an error because it encourages the viewer to feel sympathy towards him whereas ALL the sympathy should be directed towards Gatsby.

Gatsby's death could perhaps have been shown in a different way, perhaps more indirectly and using the lilo in the pool as in the original story. I know that I should have been deeply upset by his death but I wasn't (the novel is, frankly heartbreaking). This was not because of the portrayal of the character by Di Caprio (he is wonderful in it) but because too many excuses are made for Daisy's actions/betrayal e.g. his attacking Tom when he loses his temper, which does not happen in the book.

Di Caprio's portrayal, as I have said, is meticulous. From the physicality, his jittering with nervousness, the emotion he can convey with his eyes, face, hands and voice. Truly a master class. Such a talent, it is hard to credit that he has never won an Oscar!

Overall then: a great cinematic experience but not a faithful portrayal (if that is the correct word) of the original book. My daughter studied this for A level only a short while ago, so she found some of the changes particularly grating and was bitterly disappointed with Tobey Maguire's 'reading' of the final words of the novel. A story which can make you sob whilst reading it should be able to do the same on the big screen. Less fiddling with an original story (the removal of Jay's father from the picture is another weird decision), which is generally accepted as a literary masterpiece, would have done the job!

I would still recommend going to see this film though. Then read the book! It is by J. Scott Fitzgerald.

Last edited by Davina (May 21, 2013 9:46 pm)

May 22, 2013 7:52 am  #8

A movie adaptation of a book is always difficult, especially if it's a book that is so full of metaphores is written in such an extravagant language which makes it that great. And there are always lots of aspects that are missing in the movie. If someone can't live with that then he shouldn't watch the movie.
I read the book and I actually liked the movie very much. Many people criticise the parties but I think that they are great because they are exactly the way they are described in the book: Loud, colorful, too great to be true.
I liked the idea of the therapy as a frame story.
And I also thought it was a good cast; Nick beeing an unreliably narrator is shown in a very subtle way in the novel and would have been very difficult to show in the movie.
And I liked Daisy, too. But of course everybody percives the characters in a different way.
One thing I didn't like so much is the way Tom kind of cinvinces Wilson to kill Gatsby. In the novel he only tells him who's car it was. And then he feels quite innocent when Nick blames him years after (a scene that has been left our of the movie).

Of course the book containes a lot more awesome stuff, that's the same thing with every book that is being made a movie. But considering that it has to be compressed to 2 houres it is really well done.

May 22, 2013 2:16 pm  #9

I loved the parties. They were absolutely spot on. Daisy was likeable wasn't she, but then unfortunately she shouldn't really be likeable. I agree about the way Tom convinces Wilson. I think they should have stuck to the way this was dealt with in the book. The therapy works as a vehicle but maybe generates too much sympathy for Nick when the focus should be on Gatsby (it is his tragedy after all, not Nick's). Unfortunately one doesn't know how faithful or otherwise a film is to a story unless one watches it.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the film. I would recommend everyone to go and watch it on the big screen (I think watching it only on a DVD later you will not get the full effect of the big set pieces).

May 30, 2013 6:03 am  #10

This is one of my favorurite books.
I am a huge fan the Redford film.
I turned up expecting to hate this.
But I loved it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 28, 2013 3:07 pm  #11

I think that the movies and the books show the dangers of obsession.  Gatsby was obsessed with Daisy for years and it led to his destruction.  He'd raised himself from extreme poverty and made a life for himself.  Despite the fact that Daisy was married, had a kid, and was reluctant to leave her husband, he kept insisting that she tell him she never loved him, and could not see that she did love her husband. He let his obsession cloud his view of reality.  A lot of people blamed Daisy, maybe she should have done something to stop her husband setting Gatsby up, but Gatsby wasn't entirely innocent.
But I did love the film a lot more than I expected to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

Board footera