BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2013 8:45 pm  #1

US: Series 3 to air in late 2013?

According to Benedict there’s a definite possibility that new episodes of Sherlock will be stateside by the end of the year:
http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/2013-05-12/benedict-cumberbatch-teases-that-americans-will-see-new-sherlock-episodes-in-2013/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 12, 2013 8:52 pm  #2

Re: US: Series 3 to air in late 2013?

That would be wonderful. Our American friends wouldn't have to keep away from the forum for months and could enjoy together with us. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 12, 2013 8:54 pm  #3

Yes! Keeping fingers crossed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 13, 2013 12:44 am  #4

Come on America - especially those of us in the Boston area - let's do what Ben said in the interview!

Hopefully, we’re going to broadcast it simultaneously here and in the States, I’m hoping. That is a hope that we talked about a while ago, so the fans here that go crazy, send your emails to [Masterpiece Mystery producer] Rebecca Eaton at WGBH Boston. She’s
trying to make it happen as well.”

I remember hearing Sue Vertue mention in an interview quite a while back that, as producer, she was going to try to do something to shorten the gap between air dates in the UK and in the US.  Wasn't sure she had the power to make it happen, but now there's hope. I'm a member of WGBH and I'm going to write to Rebecca Eaton right now!

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

May 13, 2013 2:30 am  #5

KeepersPrice wrote:

Come on America - especially those of us in the Boston area - let's do what Ben said in the interview!

Hopefully, we’re going to broadcast it simultaneously here and in the States, I’m hoping. That is a hope that we talked about a while ago, so the fans here that go crazy, send your emails to [Masterpiece Mystery producer] Rebecca Eaton at WGBH Boston. She’s
trying to make it happen as well.”

I remember hearing Sue Vertue mention in an interview quite a while back that, as producer, she was going to try to do something to shorten the gap between air dates in the UK and in the US.  Wasn't sure she had the power to make it happen, but now there's hope. I'm a member of WGBH and I'm going to write to Rebecca Eaton right now!

That's great.     I remember that too -- without knowing what's involved, just got the merest impression that some of it was timing with rights, some of it technology/distribution?  The latter of which was another one of those ridiculous 'behind the times' thing... I thought I read in that interview something about it taking forever just to get all the copies of the tape to all the stations, once they got it from BBC, since it wasn't digital, and setting a late airdate to give them enough time.  Certainly seems like that part could be improved.... 
Regardless, I guess despite the evident popularity of it they must know already, hearing from any number of us fans writing to her would help bring further attention, no?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 13, 2013 5:50 am  #6

Remember they also shortened the originals for US airing.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 13, 2013 6:54 am  #7

Davina wrote:

yes, that worries me too.   When I write my letter,  I will also urge for no U.S. editing.
not too hopeful on that one though,  but we'll see!      It may need to be the same
drill as when Series 2 first aired -  try to catch the original UK version on some internet
stream within a week or so of first airing (really not ideal)- and then order the DVDs as soon
as they become available.

May 13, 2013 10:42 am  #8

That would be brilliant! It doesn't matter for me because I'm in the UK, but I do hope they manage to sort it for you US guys.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 13, 2013 11:18 am  #9

jenosborn wrote:

Davina wrote:

yes, that worries me too.   When I write my letter,  I will also urge for no U.S. editing.
not too hopeful on that one though,  but we'll see!      It may need to be the same
drill as when Series 2 first aired -  try to catch the original UK version on some internet
stream within a week or so of first airing (really not ideal)- and then order the DVDs as soon
as they become available.

I'm with you. We need to spread the word, that would be all I would want for Christmas this year :D

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

May 26, 2013 11:30 pm  #10

I made incoherent noises of joy when I first saw this news in my Twitter feed.

Please, please, PLEASE let them sort this out.  I will donate to PBS if they do.

<start soapbox>

I swear, if the copyright lawyers spent half the time and effort fixing outdated procedures like this as they do trying to fight piracy, I suspect that a lot of piracy would just fade away on its own. 

For example, I find it puzzling that, while I had no trouble buying the UK edition of Frances Hardinge's Twilight Robbery when it was first released rather than waiting months for the US edition, I couldn't buy the ebook edition for love or money due to geographic restrictions.  Still can't buy it.  It's the same book, just in a different format. Similarly, I bought the UK DVD edition of Sherlock series 2 as soon as it was released, but ix-nay on purchasing a downloadable digital version, which would have been ideal since it wouldn't involve shipping costs and waiting for the item to be mailed. *facepalm* 

The world is way too small nowadays for this sort of regional thinking to make the slightest bit of sense anymore.  The way rights are sold and managed really needs to start taking this into account, or they're undermining their own profits more egregiously than piracy alone ever could.  It boils down to this:  I have money.  I want to give you my money in exchange for your product.  How can that be a bad thing? Unless your product is, say, live nuclear warheads, but that's another issue entirely.

(And yes, I realize that's an oversimplification, but that's my point -- they're missing out on an awful lot of easy money by not simplifying the Byzantine, archaic mess that media rights laws have become.)

</end soapbox>

Anna M.C.

---------------------------------------------------------

Will happily pay the annual license fee for legal US iPlayer access. BBC lawyers, *please* take my money.

July 5, 2013 9:27 am  #11

I do hope that Sherlock will be simultaneously aired!  It's horrible to have to wait months before some of us can see it all the while risking spoilers the whole time.  Not only that but especially on forums it would be great to talk to each other at the same time rather than months in between.

I hope they decide soon and for the best!  Crossing my fingers :D

Also, I just got into Sherlock after the series aired (so I have been able to watch full 1 hr 30 min episodes) so this whole dilemma in which the US does editing to make the episodes shorter...I really hope they don't >_< There hasn't been one moment in Sherlock that a scene hasn't had some sort of significance in the end.  Usually though here in the US you don't even get 1hr long TV shows, everything is shortened with too many commercials in between.

If anything they should split each episode into 2, but don't take away from the brilliance of what makes Sherlock extrodinarily amazing.

Last edited by Chiblits (July 5, 2013 9:32 am)

Board footera