BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2013 8:28 pm  #101

Re: Star Trek (spoilers - for those who've seen it already)

Spock and Kirk are the archetypes of shipping, aren't they? Tell her not to feel bad about it! It's a rather ... how do you say "retro" in English? Vintage? ...

It's a rather vintage thing to do!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 20, 2013 8:32 pm  #102

Lily wrote:

I loved Uhura but those stupid dresses the female members of the Starfleet were wearing annoyed me. And the underwear scene with Alice Eve was so unnecessary.

As for the dresses - they are a ST tradition. Like it or not, the series started in the 1960s and the costumes in the original series are tiny. Shorter than short. One could argue that times have changes and women should be treated differently but the underwear scene with Alice Eve annoyed me more. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 20, 2013 8:47 pm  #103

I have now read the critique of the film on that blog. Firstly, the female character, Carol Marcus (yes, she had a name) was far, far removed from being a damsel in distress. Without even referring to the 'canon' of her single-handedly bringing up her child (Kirk's child too) how in heaven's name can she be seen as merely passive 'eye-candy' in this film? She is highly intelligent, she saves Bones, she uses weapons, she chastises Kirk for not showing her courtesy, she rejects her father's actions utterly and completely etc. Frankly, the list could go on.

Yes, in the scene of Star Fleet Command there are no women and do you know what...I didn't even notice because... I was actually WATCHING THE FILM! The fact that women may wear clothing that some may see as 'skimpy' does not preclude their independence, their intelligence, their strength. Seeing the clothes, the body rather than the person is objectifying them. (Oh! A bit like the photo for this person's blog really). 

Now I feel guilty about objectifying at least one, actually more than one, of the men in the film. 

And while we are at it...what on earth is she on about the lack of women in roles in films? Helen Mirren, Dame Judi Dench, Vanessa Redgrave, Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Lawrence, Carey Mulligan, Rooney Mara, Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, Kerry Washington...you get the idea

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 20, 2013 8:51 pm  #104

I'm all for gender equality guys but c'mon...the oestrogene around here is thick and heavy when it comes to Benedict.

The underwear scene was ill conceived though.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 20, 2013 8:56 pm  #105

I've just added to my rant above! 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 20, 2013 9:20 pm  #106

That's the point... I didn't even notice that there was a lack of women in the film...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 20, 2013 9:22 pm  #107

Neither did I. What does this say about me? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 20, 2013 9:26 pm  #108

Um, sorry, but were they even other men except Benedict in the film as well? I can't quite remember... 

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 21, 2013 12:43 am  #109

Mary Me wrote:

Um, sorry, but were they even other men except Benedict in the film as well? I can't quite remember... 

roflmao. I remember one with a weird haircut and pointy ears, I think. I had the same problem the whole time. I did notice BAM Uhura, though, that was pretty awesome. Still...

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

May 21, 2013 11:48 am  #110

Here is the funniest FAQ Star Trek into Darkness piece. I liked the film and thought it was a great piece of entertainment but I have to say this made me laugh out loud several times. Very, very funny! Full of spoilers.

http://www.io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844

May 21, 2013 12:20 pm  #111

Thanks for the share Davina, that was a fun read!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 21, 2013 1:02 pm  #112

"We didn’t have any Eugenics Wars in the 1990s, unless you count Dawson’s Creek."

It's hilarious, thank you, Davina!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 21, 2013 2:38 pm  #113

Uh well... the movie is not supposed to be logic when it comes to the details. It's just about entertainment. It's a bad idea to pull the film apart.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 21, 2013 8:54 pm  #114

I thought the Dawson's Creek mention was frankly hilarious. It is just about entertainment but this article is also hilarious! Cold fusion! 

May 21, 2013 9:14 pm  #115

Some parts were quite funny, though. However, it basically says that the movie is a progression of unlogic events and silly decisions. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 22, 2013 12:18 am  #116

I loved the FAQ article that Davina posted!  I agreed with essentially every comment that author made.

While I enjoyed ST:ID quite a bit when I saw it on Sunday, there were numerous scenes that just made no sense to me, from the standpoint of Star Trek canon.  It seemed to me that this movie was, at its core, an action flick designed to attract people who like to watch things get blown up.  There were some Star Trek aspects but to me, they seemed like merely a veneer, designed to give the appearance of being Star Trek while in actuality, it made no difference--the movie could have completely different characters and still work as a sci-fi film.  For example: 
* Spock and Uhura in a romantic relationship--I still HATE that!  It is so against everything (real) Spock stands for.  But having Spock in a relationship with a human is one way to highlight his non-human characteristics.
* The brief mention of Nurse Chapel was just a throwaway line designed, perhaps, to make us recall that, oh yeah, Bones had a colleague.  It was more like an homage to Majel Barrett than a necessary plot point.
* The tribble--huh?  I guess because fans loved the original episode, there had to be one in this movie.  But talk about in your face!
* Because Jim takes his shirt off or it gets ripped in lots of TOS, I guess Abrams decided to modernize things and have the sexy female guest star be the one to shed the clothes instead.  Gee, what a guy.
* Spelling the Klingon Homeworld Kronos.  That's how it's pronounced but it's usually spelled Qo'noS (though I did just look it up and it was ST: VI that spelled it the other way; certainly on later series it was spelled Qo'noS). But it really bugged me that they didn't use the Klingon spelling of the planet.
* And what's with the zillionth incarnation of how Klingons look?  Did they have to make their brow ridges different just because they had the money and inclination to do so?
* Seatbelts on the bridge.  Really???  Not in Kirk's time!

On the other hand, there were aspects that I did really enjoy:
* Simon Pegg as Scotty.  He was the only actor who was a match for Benedict.  Scotty had great lines.
* The banter between Jim and Spock.
* The (un-Vatican) cameo by Leonard Nimoy as Spock, thought I don't quite understand how he could actually appear as Spock in the movie.  But it does make the Audi commercial a lot funnier.
* Benedict's performance, of course.  Though I guessed he was a super-being after seeing him single-handedly defeat all those Klingons, which of course is not something an ordinary human could ever hope to do.

I saw ST:ID in 3-D and while that was interesting and fun, I don't think the 3-D format was utilized to its utmost.  Would I recommend people see it?  Yes; it was much better than Abrams' first attempt at a Star Trek movie: I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  Will I watch it again?  Yes, but not until the DVD comes out, so I can see all the bonus features about the making of the movie. 

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (May 22, 2013 12:20 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

May 22, 2013 5:51 am  #117

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

While I enjoyed ST:ID quite a bit when I saw it on Sunday, there were numerous scenes that just made no sense to me, from the standpoint of Star Trek canon.

What JJ Abrams did in the first ST was free us from the Canon to a great extent, which was incredibly wonderful, he gave us back Star Trek. 

* Spock and Uhura in a romantic relationship--I still HATE that!  It is so against everything (real) Spock stands for.  But having Spock in a relationship with a human is one way to highlight his non-human characteristics.

We never saw Spock and Kirk so young in the Canon.  By the time we meet them in the original, Spock has become quite set in his ways.  This leaves a lot of room for the young Spock to be exploring his human/Vulcan dichotomy.  In the first ST he eschews the Vulcan Science Academy for Star Fleet because they insult his mom.  This time, Khan points out his limitations: if you can't break a rule, how will you break bone?  It's a new universe for these guys, including Spock, and he might choose a more human existence in this one.

* Spelling the Klingon Homeworld Kronos.  That's how it's pronounced but it's usually spelled Qo'noS (though I did just look it up and it was ST: VI that spelled it the other way; certainly on later series it was spelled Qo'noS). But it really bugged me that they didn't use the Klingon spelling of the planet.

But why would they?  No one speaks Klingon on Earth.  We speak English here, so if we talk about a specific Russian composer, we spell it "Shostakovich" not "Wocktakobny" which would approximate the Russian spelling.   They just encountered the Klingions recently, so they will spell it phonetically.

* The (un-Vatican) cameo by Leonard Nimoy as Spock, thought I don't quite understand how he could actually appear as Spock in the movie.

Because he came back through time in the first JJ Abrams Star Trek, which is how the timeline in the Universe got reset.  He stays in the past to help preserve and rebuild the Vulcan culture after the planet is destroyed, along with Spock's mom, who was frequently seen in the Canon. In the new timeline, she is dead.

I don't have any problems at all with any changes, in fact, as someone who was 15 when Star Trek premiered and who saw every episode of that and Next Generation and most of the others and movies, I think Abrams has done a fantastic job with everything.  Like Roddenberry's original concept, there is an adventure and a morality tale in each episode.

Luckily, we have arguably the greatest actor on earth portraying Khan, who is a hugely tragic figure of great complexity.  Having watched the performance 5 times at this point, the more I study it, the more I see the depth of pain and despair Cumberbatch shows us while never ameliorating Khan 's frightening savagery.

Star Fleet created Khan and his family, they essentially bred them and enslaved them.  They were created from fear and a desire for power.  Khan is recreated/awakened by the same kind of fear and desire for power.  In the end - who answers for the horrendous crime against them?  No one, they are sent back to stasis until ... what?  Star Fleet needs more supermen?  Dying children need more blood?

I think this is a much better movie than most give it credit for  - possibly because the special effects and the productions values are so much the stars, or possibly because you have to be an old person like myself to recall what Star Trek originally was: Roddenberry had a hell of a lot more to do with kicking off the counter-culture than that idiot Abbie Hoffman.

There were no super heroes in this film - and only the power-crazed Admiral was a true villain. Cumberbatch had it exactly right when he spoke of the Junguan shadow selves between Harrison and Kirk. To me, this is real Star Trek at it's best.

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (May 22, 2013 5:59 am)

May 22, 2013 6:18 am  #118

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

* The (un-Vatican) cameo by Leonard Nimoy as Spock, thought I don't quite understand how he could actually appear as Spock in the movie.  But it does make the Audi commercial a lot funnier.

This is explained in JJ's first Star Trek reboot film. Nimoy's spock travels through a time vortex 25 years ahead of the Romulan ship and into his younger self's timeline. Therefore the existence of the Romulan's where they weren't before alters the timeline and so Quinto's Spock's life diverges from Nimoy's Spock's life. Spock is now with the survivors of Vulcan on New Vulcan (or whatever it was called).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 22, 2013 6:20 pm  #119

MysteriaSleuthbedder wrote:

What JJ Abrams did in the first ST was free us from the Canon to a great extent, which was incredibly wonderful, he gave us back Star Trek.

And there is the crux of it all!  I guess I don't want to be free of the canon--I like it fine the way it was and see no need to change anything.    Your explanations make a lot of sense, though, especially if one likes what Abrams did.  I don't remember his first Star Trek movie--I was too annoyed almost from the get-go that the plot was, in my mind anyway, a ripoff of the fourth season Voyager episodes Year of Hell, Parts 1 and II, to give that film much due.

And thanks, Wholocked, for your explanation about Spock, another thing I hadn't remembered from Abrams' reboot.

I find it, er, interesting (dare I say fascinating?), that I have no objections whatsoever to watching Moftiss reboot Sherlock Holmes into modern-day London.  But when Abrams moves Star Trek into an alternative timeline, I do.  Perhaps it's because I never watched earlier incarnations of Sherlock Holmes, nor had I previously read the canon, but I am very familiar with all Star Trek shows and movies and have read loads of the books along with some series encyclopedias, plus subscribed to ST magazines, and have gone to cons as well.  I mention all these things just to point out how used I am to thinking about Star Trek in a certain way but have never had any prior conceptions about Sherlock Holmes.  Maybe that is why I have a hard time accepting what Abrams has done with Star Trek.

The reboot is not going to stop me from watching any future Star Trek movies--epecially if Benedict appears again!--but it might take me a long time to get used to the new order in the universe. 

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (May 22, 2013 6:22 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

May 23, 2013 12:19 am  #120

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

The reboot is not going to stop me from watching any future Star Trek movies--epecially if Benedict appears again!--but it might take me a long time to get used to the new order in the universe. 

I say we just have a John Harrison spin off:

Board footera