BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 14, 2013 5:47 pm  #61

Re: Star Trek (spoilers - for those who've seen it already)

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

So it's not only that Sherlock is Spock, but also John is Kirk?

At least, Sherlock and Spock share the same German voice...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 14, 2013 5:48 pm  #62

Schmiezi wrote:

Not really, no! Just a nice little homage IMO. Being a fan of both shows, I had to smile (sad smile, of course) at John's speech when I got the reference to Kirk's speech.

Probably meant as a nod from one great friendship to the other.
*cough*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 14, 2013 5:49 pm  #63

tobeornot221b wrote:

Nope, that's not true. I looked it up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 14, 2013 5:59 pm  #64

Mary Me wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

HA, I knew it! Researched well, Mary!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 14, 2013 6:46 pm  #65

By the way, if I'm getting interested in Star Trek now and want to start watching it, which movie would be the first I should watch? I know almost nothing about it, but the more I read here on the forum and in the press articles, the more interesting it seems. So maybe I should give it a chance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 14, 2013 7:07 pm  #66

I think "Star Trek - The Motion Picture" would be a good start. It was the first feature film based on the series. The second is "The Wrath of Khan" which you shouldn't miss either. If you like them you can continue until you've reached STID. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 14, 2013 7:24 pm  #67

Thanks. I'll put that on my "must watch next" list. I've never liked Science Fiction, but maybe I'll love it and end up being the biggest Star Trek fan ever, who knows.

May 14, 2013 7:38 pm  #68

Well, in fact John called Sherlock "Spock" in HoB  so it fits.

May 14, 2013 7:49 pm  #69

Schmiezi wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

HA, I knew it! Researched well, Mary!

Yes, to be more exact, Sherlock is dubbed by Tommy Morgenstern and Spock is dubbed by Timmo Niesner.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 14, 2013 7:54 pm  #70

Thank you, Mary. But their voices sound very, very similar to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 14, 2013 8:02 pm  #71

Really? They sound quite different to me, though  Sherlock's german voice is much deeper. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 14, 2013 8:27 pm  #72

In case you want to research German voices: 

https://www.synchronkartei.de/index.php?action=show&type=quiz

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 15, 2013 12:18 am  #73

AAAAGH OMG I LOVED THIS FILM. I've already seen it twice. I admit though that it definitely has more interest for those of us who are Trekkie, or at the least Sci Fi fans. They've drawn a lot from the original series' and films so it was quite enjoyable to see the parallels (or opposites! see Kirk death scene!). I also loved Old!Spock's understated "We won at great cost" about them defeating Khan in the original timeline. YOU DIED SPOCK! Great cost....pffft

Benedict was fucking incredible and I want to see more of him in villainous roles but I know he doesn't like doing the same thing again so probably won't get a chance. I could totally live with him being in more action movies. Buff BC in 3D? YES PLEASE!

eta: Loved some of the funny lines as well. Especially Kirk saying to Uhura "You two are fighting? My god, what is that even like?" lol

Last edited by Wholocked (May 15, 2013 12:19 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 15, 2013 6:34 pm  #74

Finally there was an article about Star Trek in my newspaper this morning. It wasn't a very nice one though.
http://www.noz.de/deutschland-und-welt/kultur/kino/72018205/prequel-statt-neuentwurf-j-j-abrams-unterbietet-sich-mit-star-trek--into-darkness
It basically says that the movie is crap but that Benedict makes it worth watching.

May 17, 2013 6:10 am  #75

Not perfect,  but I loved it.    Just like how I felt about the original Star Trek movies.   The 2nd
movie in that series (Wrath of Khan 1982) being by far the best one.   Itself a 'sequel' of sorts
to one particular show in the 60's TV series where Khan is first introduced.

Every time Benedict appeared on screen,  all else faded a bit.   I do wish there were more screen time.

I enjoyed how many times he got to wear his 24th century version of his Sherlock
trench coat,  and how many opportunities he had to jump (fall) off buildings/ledges,
and survive....

Nice Trek twists:

on the iconic Kirk/Spock friendship,  which always has had nods to canonical Sherlock.

Spock's radiation death becomes Kirk's death.   The melodramatic death scene with the hands is a turning point
of the (orig) movie plot also.       Loved how they gave Spock the famous  'Khaaaaaan!!' line instead
of Kirk,  sets up the Spock/Khan antagonism/ future dynamic.

Jettisoning Khan (again)  at the end of the movie-    marooned...  distant planet,..
and yes he is still out there.      Thank. God.

Dr Carol Markus!   and seeing maybe glimpses of her past (In Wrath of Khan we
get to know her and her grown son (Kirk's son) which he only finds out about tragically late...)

Mention of Nurse Chapel!   The amazing Majel Barrett (Mrs. Gene Roddenberry)-
somehow worked her way into the original television series,  all the movie series,
and ST The Next Generation (voice of the computer/and Deana Troi's mom...)

Tribbles!

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....   or the one."   Again.

Last edited by CarlPowers (May 17, 2013 6:13 am)

May 18, 2013 5:25 pm  #76

I found myself simultaneously nitpicking the crap out of this movie and enjoying the heck out of it at the same time.  For fangirly reasons my favorite scenes were the ones where both Benedict and Karl were on the screen at the same time.  I'm willing to be good money that to humor here is funnier than anything we'll see in Hangover III or any other comedy released this year (except World's End ;) )

No surprise to me, I loved Benedict in this movie and as a lover of Star Trek, I'm thrilled that it's been left open for him to return in future films.  Looks like Abrams & Co know what a treasure they have in Benedict as an actor and don't want to lose him.  The secrecy around the identity of Kahn, is every bit as annoying and the secrecy behind Steve Carell being on the Office finale and Miranda Tate being Talia al Gul.  The secrecy just makes me say "really?"  Especially with the big deal they made out of the secret.  I still thought Benedict was friggin' awesome.  He was pure bad@##.  And they made use of Benedict's ability to cry on queue. 
  I've always found Wrath of Kahn to be an overrated movie and Kahn to be a hammy overrated villian.  Sure he quoted Moby Dick at the end of WoK, but I Montalban's performance didn't give me the sense that the guy was uber intelligent.  Benedict made Kahn a force to be reckoned with. ok I'll continue this later)

Last edited by josabby (May 19, 2013 10:58 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

May 18, 2013 5:59 pm  #77

Wholocked wrote:

AAAAGH OMG I LOVED THIS FILM. I've already seen it twice. I admit though that it definitely has more interest for those of us who are Trekkie, or at the least Sci Fi fans. They've drawn a lot from the original series' and films so it was quite enjoyable to see the parallels (or opposites! see Kirk death scene!). I also loved Old!Spock's understated "We won at great cost" about them defeating Khan in the original timeline. YOU DIED SPOCK! Great cost....pffft

Benedict was fucking incredible and I want to see more of him in villainous roles but I know he doesn't like doing the same thing again so probably won't get a chance. I could totally live with him being in more action movies. Buff BC in 3D? YES PLEASE!

eta: Loved some of the funny lines as well. Especially Kirk saying to Uhura "You two are fighting? My god, what is that even like?" lol

LOL! I agree with you wholeheartedly. I've wanted a tribble for a pet my whole life.
The chemistry between Spock and Kirk have always made it great watching for me, especially Kirk calling Spock "pointy." I couldn't help but hear Watson calling Sherlock, well..."Spock."  Oh, and BAM!Uhura as well.

And yes, Benedict was incredible. I think I was momentarily in brain shut-down mode. Incredible. I kept looking at the nape of his neck and wishing they wouldn't have cut his hair so short...but that's just ridiculous fangirling!

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

May 19, 2013 10:33 am  #78

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 19, 2013 8:57 pm  #79

My husband's just watching "The Wrath of Khan" and I'm waiting for Benedict. In vain. 

May 19, 2013 8:59 pm  #80

Well, good luck with that, Susi 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera