BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2013 2:24 pm  #41

Re: Star Trek (spoilers - for those who've seen it already)

@Mary
- I ship Kirk/Spock. I sat there and while they were having a nice chat I thought: Fine. And now kiss.
To me, they over-egged the pudding, especially in the death scene - I had difficulties to feel any real chemistry between Spock and Kirk
- Kirk wasn't that bad. I don't know if it's because of the german dubbing that makes him appear to be more confident and controlled but he was a nice guy actually.
My thoughts exactly. German suits him; he appears less like an awkward teenager.
- My baby cried. Nooo! 

Yes! What would a movie with Ben be without him crying?
- My baby's not dead! Whay! 
Yes! He's just out cold, very cold.
- They should make a Khan Spin-Off.
- Or they should let the Enterprise crew die so that Khan can take over the world supremacy.

Could be dangerous...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 12, 2013 2:44 pm  #42

tobeornot221b wrote:

@Mary
- I ship Kirk/Spock. I sat there and while they were having a nice chat I thought: Fine. And now kiss.
To me, they over-egged the pudding, especially in the death scene - I had difficulties to feel any real chemistry between Spock and Kirk

Okay, that last scene was really over the top and kind of hokey.

tobeornot221b wrote:

- Kirk wasn't that bad. I don't know if it's because of the german dubbing that makes him appear to be more confident and controlled but he was a nice guy actually.
My thoughts exactly. German suits him; he appears less like an awkward teenager.

Awkward teenager! That's exactly the term I was looking for!  However, the dubbing did a really good job on Kirk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 12, 2013 3:30 pm  #43

I am not sure yet if I liked the film.
I have never watched Star Trek and I didn't expect to love it because it is not the kind of film I usually watch. There were some good characters and some funny scenes but all in all I actually thought the story was a bit weak. The pacing didn't really do it for me and there weren't any unexpected twists, there wasn't a single scene where my heart started beating faster or where I thought 'O my god, I wonder what will happen next?'
The truth behind John Harrison's identity was supposed to be shocking, I suppose, but it didn't work for me because I didn't know who Khan was and the crew didn't seem to know either, so it seemed to be completely irrelevant. Or maybe I just didn't get it because I don't know anything about Star Trek.
The scene with Kirk dying didn't really touch me, maybe because of my lack of knowledge there was too much backstory missing for me to actually feel sorry for Spock losing his friend.
Doesn't sound too positive overall, I know... but I don't think it was a bad film. It really was alright and the visual effects were wonderful.

No to the actual reason why I watched the film in the first place: Benedict.
Honestly, how scary and amazing and brilliant was that? He appeared much earlier than I had expected and when I heard his voice for the first time shivers ran down my spine. And when I saw him... it was absolutely amazing to see him on such a big screen. And god, he looked wonderful.
His acting was brilliant as always and the things he does with his voice are unearthly. I found it quite fascinating to see him in this role because I am used to see him intellectual characters, I have never seen him in such a physical role. And the fight scenes... god.
I have to admit that I felt really troubled watching him in this film. I always feel unconfortable when I see my favorite actors playing bad guys or doing something terrible. Watching him kill someone by just squashing his head with his bare hands was terrible.
I was actually scared. The look in his eyes, this sheer ruthlessness and brutality that he seemed to convey with every cell of his body was both unsettling and impressing.
I don't know what to make of it.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 12, 2013 4:11 pm  #44

It sounds like it's been a bit frustrating for you, Lily 
I've never seen a Star Trek movie before and I was completely foreign to that universium. But I found my way around.
Benedict's first scene: Jesus, ovaries! Good that Schmiezi had warned me that Benedict would appear soon so I was well prepared and had already wrapped my shock blanket.
I kinda like his role as the villain. I enjoyed watching. I'm fine with violence in films when there is a certain aesthetic in it. I'm used to it so I like it.
Benedict has played with much intensity and it was just amazing and mind-blowing. This is the final proof that he can play every role. (How do you say 'gegen die Wand spielen' in english? )

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 12, 2013 4:24 pm  #45

Oh, not frustrating.  I didn't have high expectations so I wasn't disappointed.
The scene where Benedict appeared first was one of my favorites. I loved how they used his voice and made him be heard before they actually showed him. That was wonderful.

May 12, 2013 5:47 pm  #46

Did you watch the OV? 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 12, 2013 8:28 pm  #47

Seen it yesterday - in OV of course. It's an ok film, a bit choppy, too many scenes felt overacted.  Ben, of course, was great but they could have expanded on his character more, make him more a part of the movie. To me it seemed that they just wouldn't let the audience think for themselves and try to figure out what's going on. It was just too obvious, not very gripping. Sorry JJ! I love LOST but this is just not doing it for me. :/ - first disappointment with a Cumberbatch film, had to happen eventually ;D

Last edited by mara (May 12, 2013 8:29 pm)

May 12, 2013 8:43 pm  #48

Mary Me wrote:

Did you watch the OV? 

Yeeees! <3

May 13, 2013 2:40 am  #49

tobeornot221b wrote:

Yes, hot looking though deep-frozen...

I was somewhat mesmerised by that very last shot of Harrison/Khan asleep in his pod..

.. did anyone else pick up on that shot?

May 14, 2013 10:59 am  #50

Some people compare Spock and Sherlock.

I came across this little comparison:
Spock revealed to his superiors that Kirk broke the rules to save him.
Imagine Sherlock would have told Lestrade that John shot the cabby with an illigal gun despite John just kind of saved his life. Just a no-go.

May 14, 2013 12:57 pm  #51

Sherlock is not at all like Spock. Okay, they had one line in common.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 14, 2013 2:07 pm  #52

I'm not sure. They both have this "feeling-thingy" and are quite clever. And Sherlock seems to be from a different planet, too. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 14, 2013 2:11 pm  #53

However, the resemblance ends when it comes to their ears.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 14, 2013 2:27 pm  #54

Mary Me wrote:

However, the resemblance ends when it comes to their ears.

LOL
Not to forget the haircuts.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 14, 2013 2:39 pm  #55

John called Sherlock "Spock" and "maschine" and in TRF John saw himself as a " just a hostage" who is not important refering to Sherlock's line in TGG in the lab.
Sounds annoyed and frustrated. Seems that John has no illusions about Sherlock being a Spock-like character.

But this playing by the rules is not what Sherlock does. When the rules are wrong he walks past them, I imagine, and crosses the lines when nescessary.

You know the Kobayashi maru test, Kirk and Spock had to do in the original TV series. A test no-one can pass without losing. A scenario when whatever you do, you will lose.
Kirk did it and cheated to survive the scenario. Spock did it and saved the ship by sacrifice of his own life.
Sherlock had to face something similar on the roof of St. Barts.

May 14, 2013 4:45 pm  #56

Be wrote:

I came across this little comparison:
Spock revealed to his superiors that Kirk broke the rules to save him.
Imagine Sherlock would have told Lestrade that John shot the cabby with an illigal gun despite John just kind of saved his life. Just a no-go.

But nobody would consider Lestrade a superior of Sherlock 

Last edited by Harriet (May 14, 2013 4:47 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 14, 2013 5:00 pm  #57

If you compare "Star Trek - The Wrath of Khan" and Sherlock you'll fine one common point: 
Both Sherlock and Spock give their own lives to save their friends/crew. And both return from the dead. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 14, 2013 5:22 pm  #58

SusiGo wrote:

If you compare "Star Trek - The Wrath of Khan" and Sherlock you'll fine one common point: 
Both Sherlock and Spock give their own lives to save their friends/crew. And both return from the dead. 

John also kind of quotes from Kirk's speech at the end of Wrath of Khan when he visits Sherlock's grave.
Kirk: "of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... [voice breaks] human"
John: "you were the best man, and the most human ... human being"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 14, 2013 5:41 pm  #59

So it's not only that Sherlock is Spock, but also John is Kirk?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 14, 2013 5:45 pm  #60

Not really, no! Just a nice little homage IMO. Being a fan of both shows, I had to smile (sad smile, of course) at John's speech when I got the reference to Kirk's speech.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera