BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2013 7:23 am  #21

Re: Star Trek (spoilers - for those who've seen it already)

Wow, the FAZ likes it, I'm astonished.  I don't ship them (and don't want to get into another fanfic universe) but the idea of two people being the two halves of one person is interesting (if not exactly new). If you take the article and substitute Kirk and Spock with John and Sherlock it would work as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2013 7:31 am  #22

SusiGo wrote:

(and don't want to get into another fanfic universe)

True 

Great article, Schmiezi, thanks 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 10, 2013 11:23 am  #23

I have seen it on wednesday because I was interested in Benedict's work. I am not a Star Trek fan at all. So I can't really appreciate it. I don't want to offend anybody, but:

If one likes science fiction movies, it is probably o.k. Action scenes, fight stuff, 3D....explosions.
I personally can't stand the lack of logic in the development of the plot. Plot what plot? Logic what logic?
Of course it is science fiction and it is supposed to strech the logic almost ot extremes. O.K. But enough is enough. Especially the end is silly. They kind of draw the rabbit out of the hat with the tribble.
What do you think about these absurd tight uniforms? Ridiculous, IMO.

Benedict did a great job and clearly stole the scenes. His presence and acting was really very good. Almost on another level compared with the other two lead actors.

I have seen the dubbed version in german. Harrison's voice in Stark Trek was much lower than that in Germany's Sherlock. I don't know what to think about that. I always felt that I miss Benedict's real voice and with it an important part of his acting.

Last edited by Be (May 10, 2013 12:10 pm)

May 10, 2013 11:41 am  #24

I'm not a trekkie but I know all ST films and part of the original series find them very entertaining. Like this one. 

The uniforms have always been tight but have become nicer to look at over the decades. The first ones from the sixties looked as if they had stayed in the tumble-dryer for too long. 

I 've seen the original and the German dubbed version. The voice was quite good because it was so deep and reminded me at least a bit of the original. Apart from that as far as I know Spock is dubbed by the German actor who usually does Sherlock so they couldn't use the man for both 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2013 6:08 pm  #25

This time I noticed the similarities between the Sherlock/John rooftop and the Spock/Kirk deathbed scene. Stretched out hands from afar/hands pressed together, glass in between, tears, profound dialogue. (Only that I found the scene in ST unintentionally comic...)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 10, 2013 9:13 pm  #26

He is SO beautiful!! Errrr... IT is so beautiful .......... that I finally understood every word they said. 
And still... sometimes, when Ben was talking I simply forgot to listen.
But even dubbed it was still so great fun to watch! We won't have done it the last time today, for sure!!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 10, 2013 10:32 pm  #27

Does anyone have an explanation, why - no: HOW Spock could talk to Spock? Is there any logical explanation?

May 11, 2013 6:38 am  #28

Um, do you mean why the old Spock was around at all (which would imply that you never saw the first Abrahms film), or do you mean how communication was possible between the Enterprise and New Vulcan?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 11, 2013 7:55 am  #29

A kind of time travelling, two parallel time slots, something like that...

May 11, 2013 8:04 am  #30

I never watched any Star Trek movie. All I know is a bit of "Raumschiff Enterprise" which I watched every now and then on tv.  And I remember that I really liked Spock.
So yes, my question is why the old Spock was around and talked to the younger. As I assume should be the same person.

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 11, 2013 8:05 am)

May 11, 2013 8:12 am  #31

okay, so I'll try and give you the non-Trekkie version of what happened in the first film.
1. Old Spock accidentially travels through time together with the baddie
2. baddie destroys Vulcan
3. Old Spock meets Young Kirk
4. Baddies time travel changes the timeline aka creates a new parallel universe (whatever)
5. Old Spock doesn't return to his own timeline / unverse /whatever so...
6. Young Spock can call him in STID

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 11, 2013 8:25 am  #32

Was the "first film" the one you watched in that double feature?
Hubby just suggested to rent it out because your explanation sounds quite interesting. 

May 11, 2013 8:28 am  #33

Yes, we saw both on Wednesday.. But we also have it on DVD along with every other Star Trek DVD available.

Go get it, it's good!

May 11, 2013 1:24 pm  #34

@Schmiezi: Nice summary .

Be wrote:

I personally can't stand the lack of logic in the development of the plot. Plot what plot? Logic what logic?

Well, that is exactly the problem, my boyfriend had with the movie. Therefore I had to listen to his nagging how bad the movie was for nearly an hour, after we left the cinema.
I don't mind logical gaps that much (I think some of them I wouldn't even have recongnised, if he wouldn't be such a nit-picker ). I think, at the beginning of the movie (the alien plant with the rescue mission), the story was a bit thin. How were they suppose to get the enterprise unnoticed out of the water, if the mission would have been sucessfull? And how do the get the ship in the ocean without the aliens attention? But well, as a Star Trek fan, you got used to that kind of things . But it is ok for me - even in sherlock I noticed some plot-parts, which are not entirely coherent.

But, I think, you have to be a Star Trek fan, to be completly fond of the movie, especially because of the cross reference th Star Trek history (Khan, Tribbles, the death scene...).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 11, 2013 2:36 pm  #35

How were they suppose to get the enterprise unnoticed out of the water, if the mission would have been sucessfull? And how do the get the ship in the ocean without the aliens attention?

At night? 

A lot of movies are not always logical and for some movies you just have to "lower your brain" a bit and just have fun. That's okay for me.
Hubby and me were totally overwhelmed by the special effects, the pictures.... and of course of Khan. Well, I a bit more than he actually.  We agreed that there were no boring parts, no "lengths" (do you say so?) We never needed a watch to check when it might be over.
Movies for the brain are just different ones. (But I don't mean you don't need your brain for STID!  )

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 11, 2013 2:37 pm)

May 11, 2013 3:59 pm  #36

I agree with you, Mattlocked. Some days before I watched "Iron Man 3" (I really like the other ones) and think STID is far better. The action, the tricks, the characters. My 14-year-old son shares my opinion. 

May 11, 2013 6:52 pm  #37

Hubby just found this:
How Star Trek should have ended:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJ-y6BWfUc

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 11, 2013 7:00 pm)

May 11, 2013 9:01 pm  #38

Mattlocked wrote:

At night?

Maybe, but it would have been noisy and the lights from the ship (at least from the manoeuvring drives) could attract attention.

Well, anyway, I totaly agree with you! I don't mind much either. The only thing I tried to say is, I can understand that someone, who is not a big Star Trek or science-fiction fan might have some difficulties with the movie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 11, 2013 9:49 pm  #39

It was great. Benedict dominated every scene he was in. I can't wait to see the undubbed version! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 12, 2013 1:52 pm  #40

Just a few thoughts:

- I ship Kirk/Spock. I sat there and while they were having a nice chat I thought: Fine. And now kiss.
- Kirk wasn't that bad. I don't know if it's because of the german dubbing that makes him appear to be more confident and controlled but he was a nice guy actually.
- Kirk and Khan arch-enemies? Really? I think there was more antagonism between Khan and Spock.
- Why did they not give him back his family? I think it was a pretty sad story, to be frank.
- My baby cried. Nooo! 
- My baby's not dead! Whay! 
- They should make a Khan Spin-Off.
- Or they should let the Enterprise crew die so that Khan can take over the world supremacy.

Last edited by Mary Me (May 12, 2013 1:54 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera