BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2014 7:53 am  #321

Re: Star Trek (spoilers - for those who've seen it already)

Right... and I completely forgot about Loki... another 'bad example', haha...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 17, 2014 9:04 am  #322

I'm immune to Loki!!
But Khan - oh goodness!! I was definitely on the bad guy's side this time

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 12, 2014 8:29 pm  #323

Just found this and I love it. 
Benedict had hard work as Khan, obviously: 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 12, 2014 8:50 pm  #324

Those evil people persuaded Benedict to wear fake "Neutron Cream" during the shooting.
I hope he poisoned their cofee in retribution - it was a nasty prank! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 13, 2014 2:25 pm  #325

Aaaw poor gullible Benny!! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

May 13, 2014 2:29 pm  #326

I dont know, I found it incredibly hilarious, and yet another testament to their strong friendship. What an epic prank! XD

May 13, 2014 3:03 pm  #327

Best prank ever

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 13, 2014 3:17 pm  #328

Yeah, Karl Urban and John Cho have been had, too.. Hilarious..

May 13, 2014 3:19 pm  #329

It was hillarious! Benetict's reaction was priceless "Whaaat?" And he had his lesson - never sign any paper before you read it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 13, 2014 5:56 pm  #330

I wish there was video of that reaction.

Bless him!

I'm clueing for looks

May 13, 2014 6:01 pm  #331

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cKKgdqIChE

Here you have whole story, including Benedict's reaction

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 25, 2014 7:50 pm  #332

I rewatched Into Darkness last night. I'm a huge Trekkie and really keen on the original series. I really like J.J. Abrams' reboot in that he has stayed true to the original characters and stories, while going into a fresh direction.

This is why I am baffled by his decision to have Kahn be so un-Kahn in this movie. It is absolutely jarring and a waste of an incredible performance by Benedict. This movie would have been a nine in comparison to the other Trek films for me if John Harrison had stayed John Harrison. Making him Kahn just for the sake of having Kahn in the story drops the movie down to a one for me, even though I otherwise adore it and have watched it several times.

Kahn is such a big part of the canon of Trek. What Starfleet did to him and the ensuing events that turned him into the monster he was in The Wrath of Khan wasn't even hinted at in Into Darkness. That is such a disservice to the iconic character.

I watched an interview with Benedict where he talked about getting into the character and he explicitly said that he wanted to go the fresh route and didn't do any history on Kahn. Such a mistake. I think this is his biggest and maybe only professional gaffe so far. His performance is so good, there's absolutely no denying it, and he completely embodies his character, but as a Trekkie, I cannot help but feel shafted.

Had to get that off my chest.

Mary 'don't mess with my Trek' Watson

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 25, 2014 8:05 pm  #333

But is this really his fault? Was it not the decision of director and script writer to this direction?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 25, 2014 8:11 pm  #334

I know the interview you mean though Mary (I think), and I'm pretty sure it was done before it was confirmed that his character was Khan? So I think he was trying not to give too much away about his role - JJ being so secretive, and all.
I find it extremely difficult to believe him when he says he didn't go into the back story; this is the guy who invented a back story for Sherlock in his head when Moffat wouldn't provide one.
I don't think he can be blamed for the script and direction he's been given.
I don't know about the original Khan but I understand your frustration if canon has been messed with, though.

*** have just crossed with Susi, who makes the same point without the waffling I've just done!***

Last edited by Tinks (May 25, 2014 8:16 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 25, 2014 8:38 pm  #335

SusiGo wrote:

But is this really his fault? Was it not the decision of director and script writer to this direction?

I saw an interview with J.J. Abrams about Ben's audition and performance and, really, it could be summed up as "His performance was so good, who cares that he wasn't playing Kahn?"

I remain baffled.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 25, 2014 8:39 pm  #336

Uhm, I'm not an expert Trekkie, but why do you keep calling him Kahn?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 25, 2014 8:42 pm  #337

Don't forget he wasn't shown a script or plot synopses before auditioning so had absolutely nothing to go on at audition stage.
Again, I'm puzzled as to how it's Ben's "fault" that he did what direction and script required; no way did he walk onto set and dictate how the character would be played.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

May 25, 2014 8:44 pm  #338

Wow, Harriet, are you sure you're just a... part-time Trekkie...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 25, 2014 8:46 pm  #339

Well, I have an (outdated) complete Encyclopedia at home, I admit 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 25, 2014 8:49 pm  #340

And we know our football. Especially the goalies. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera