BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2014 8:04 pm  #301

Re: Star Trek (spoilers - for those who've seen it already)

Hehe yes, I used to like German dubbing, but the more I watch in original versions, the more I hate it...
Yes the voice of Ben is at least deep. But it still sounds not "real" to me... I mean the emotions are not correctly put. How could they? It was a different person.

One movie which should really be watched in the original version (tried to get it on cinema, but was off it too fast, so luckily I could watch the original on blu-ray) is "Iron Sky". Because there is english and german in it and the german version is completely german which is quite irritating...
It's from finnish guys, so they are used to subtitles ^^.

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

February 4, 2014 10:06 pm  #302

Sounds just like "Inglorious Basterds", which had French, German and English in it, and of course in German it was all German. I'm glad I got to see it in OV, although that was quite funny because it was with subtitles, and they subtitled it for a German audience. Meaning that the English and French was subtitled in German, and the German wasn't subtitled at all. I felt bad for the people in the audience who couldn't speak French or German, because they would have been lost.

And you're right, the German dubbing guy for Benedict didn't quite manage to convey the same degree of menacing subtlety as Benedict himself. Something always gets lost in the translation. *sigh*

February 4, 2014 10:14 pm  #303

I think the dubbing of Kirk is worse... he sounds like a schoolboy

Yes Germans speaking German or if the speak English, than it's English and the other way round. Could also have some French, I don't remember it fully...

February 5, 2014 1:42 am  #304

We actually own ST Into Darkness, but I never watched the original version before..  I was a Trekkie long before I was cumberbatched, so I could not know what I was missing. Now I am sooo excited to re-watch it with Benedict´s voice.. especially after reading that he actually lowered it even more.. The anticipation.. 

February 5, 2014 6:14 am  #305

Zatoichi wrote:

We actually own ST Into Darkness, but I never watched the original version before..  I was a Trekkie long before I was cumberbatched,

Ha, same here! When I read for the first time who would be playing "John Harrison"/Khan, I went like "Who's that supposed to be?!".
I promise you, the very first scene with Benedict/Khan, when you only hear his voice at first and then you finally see him... you'll never get this right in a dubbed version. It's fantastic, Benedict's voice is just... undubbable.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 5, 2014 6:14 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 5, 2014 6:18 am  #306

Solar, you are so damn right!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 5, 2014 6:24 am  #307

undubbable... yeah I wanna sign that...

February 5, 2014 6:28 am  #308

That's why his voice flashed me that way when I discovered it in The Fifth Estate. Didn't expect it after all the dubbing stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 5, 2014 6:38 am  #309

Haven't seen that one. But it was same with me and Sherlock. I watched season 1 and 2 in German, nice series, but that's it. Then watched series 3 (and Star Trek) in original and now I am addicted ^^.

February 18, 2014 2:51 pm  #310

This is probably old news, but I realized yesterday that IDW has published a Khan comic book series where they're using Benedict as their visual version of the character. Not sure I'd consider buying it, but it does sound intriguing.

Last edited by TeeJay (February 18, 2014 2:51 pm)

February 28, 2014 10:36 am  #311

Deleted and alternate scenes! Lots of them! Follow this link!

http://karlurbaninternational.tumblr.com/post/77995242182/alternate-scene-pikes-office

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 28, 2014 10:37 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 10, 2014 1:51 pm  #312

Because I am totally into Khan at the moment -

March 10, 2014 2:09 pm  #313

Glad to finally have you on board with us, Spiral! Wasn't Ben fantastic as Harrison?  the camaraderie between the Enterprise crew was great and all that but when John Harrison steps aboard, it's hard to look elsewhere!

March 10, 2014 4:03 pm  #314

Le Bear Polar wrote:

Glad to finally have you on board with us, Spiral! Wasn't Ben fantastic as Harrison?  the camaraderie between the Enterprise crew was great and all that but when John Harrison steps aboard, it's hard to look elsewhere!

Ben kinda stole the whole movie imo! I keep re-watching his scenes on Youtube!

April 16, 2014 9:09 pm  #315

I just saw this movie and I don′t know…. BC kinda „ruined“ the viewing of STID for me. 

Not only did I sided with a sligtly genocidal bad guy ( again – it happens frequently when BC is acting in such roles), but I kept thinking stuff like: „Oh, you stupid Kirk, how can you punch that face! I hope that your blasphemous hand withers and falls off!“ „Khan is crashing on San Francisco… Oh, happy Friscoans! Why can′t he crash next to my flat, dammit!“ „Khan is supposed to be a bad guy but he seems so nice and cuddly to me….“

I′m afraid I can′t buy BC as evil guy anymore. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 16, 2014 9:12 pm  #316

I thought he was an excellent villain and I loved him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 17, 2014 1:11 am  #317

My own personal tactic for re-watching STiD is to fast forward to minute 57---thus bypassing the boring story stuff---and revel in my version: Star Trek: Into Khan.

April 17, 2014 7:24 am  #318

Tee hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 17, 2014 7:38 am  #319

nakahara, I completely agree... it's kind of counterproductive for following a movie when you're in love with the bad guy and root for him...

April 17, 2014 7:43 am  #320

Oh I think this is the new thing now...
All hail the movie bad guy!

Board footera