BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2012 1:49 am  #1

Gatiss tells what he thinks of all the theories

Earlier this year Steven Moffat suggested that feverish fan theories as to how Holmes had faked his own death had missed one vital clue. So does Gatiss think the truth could now be out there? "There's some very clever theories, some of them elaborate, and I enjoy them all. But if I were to tell you if someone had worked it out then it wouldn't be a secret." Which, of course, isn't an answer. So I try again. Has somebody somewhere now worked it out? "It may be, sort of, in some of the theories. There's a lot of very clever people out there … "

Gatiss points to certain theories beyond his wildest imagination, and admits to being happily shocked by the frenzy that surrounded Holmes' jump. "I've never known something become such a public talking point." And one that shows little sign of abating. "It'll be worth the wait," he promises.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/mar/15/being-human-mark-gattis?cat=tv-and-radio&type=article

Gotcha! You thought you'd get some hints here huh?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 16, 2012 3:14 am  #2

Re: Gatiss tells what he thinks of all the theories

I know he probably won't say but I would be interested to know if someone has mentioned that "one vital clue."

I assume someone has since he almost admits that some people seem to have mentioned some of what actually happened.

March 16, 2012 3:28 am  #3

I daresay all who are 'in the know' have been sworn to secrecy.

It's a very fine line you start walking when you start giving out clues and validating what guesses are correct etc. Better that they say nothing more.

I'd actually hate it if they gave away too much. And that may also kill the avid interest in future episodes.
All these theories and fandom sites etc are probably more than they ever hoped for in the way of publicity.
I bet security will be beefed up for the next session of filming.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 16, 2012 7:01 am  #4

Yeah, I definitely don't want to know ANYTHING, until I sit down to watch the episode. I'm excited now just thinking about how good that evening will be!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 16, 2012 7:17 am  #5

I think the thing is Sherlock fans are fans of mysteries, riddles etc.
I'd say it would be hard to find ANY real fan who wants to know the 'secrets' before the big reveal.

Yeah sure, we're all online wavering on criminal thoughts as to how to extract the real answers from Moftiss & Thompson, even Cumberbum, Freeman etc; but we don't mean it ... kinda/sorta.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 16, 2012 7:25 am  #6

Woo hoo Kazza474 - congratulation on post No. 1895!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 16, 2012 8:11 am  #7

It's weird really because of course when Sherlock Holmes was killed off by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle there was also a frenzy amongst his fans, with people wearing black mourning clothes and feathers in their hats and such like. It was only due to this wave of popularity that he was persuaded to resurrect him 3 years later.

They are not going to say whether anyone has the correct solution because then people would only keep going on at them to reveal what it is. Agreed, they are better off saying nowt!

What wonderful publicity this is for them, as long as it sustains itself and doesn't burn itself out. Goodness knows the first episode of Series 3 has got to be a humdinger!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 16, 2012 8:59 am  #8

tobeornot221b wrote:

Woo hoo Kazza474 - congratulation on post No. 1895!

lol
cute

thanks. It's always 1895!

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 16, 2012 9:02 am  #9

Davina wrote:

It's weird really because of course when Sherlock Holmes was killed off by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle there was also a frenzy amongst his fans, with people wearing black mourning clothes and feathers in their hats and such like. It was only due to this wave of popularity that he was persuaded to resurrect him 3 years later.

They are not going to say whether anyone has the correct solution because then people would only keep going on at them to reveal what it is. Agreed, they are better off saying nowt!

What wonderful publicity this is for them, as long as it sustains itself and doesn't burn itself out. Goodness knows the first episode of Series 3 has got to be a humdinger!

Cheapskates aren't they? Can't afford their own publicity account, lol.
Yes I am kept happy by the thought that by the time it goes into production Moftiss will have wavered back and forth over the new scripts almost as much as we have over their previous one.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 19, 2012 7:11 pm  #10

I think Sherlockians have got to be traditionally one of the most obsessive fandoms...as well as one of the oldest of course! The reaction ACD got when he tried to kill of Holmes proves how crazy we all are!!

October 7, 2012 11:33 am  #11

Crazy!  Girl, what you sayin', there?
Think it shows our love of art!

Last edited by besleybean (November 10, 2012 2:40 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 10, 2012 11:22 am  #12

I remind myself that I have yet to be so obsessed that I walk around with a black armband on. I'm a complete master in kidding myself that discussing it online isn't at all obsessive. Not at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We solve crimes, I blog about it and he forgets his pants, so I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. (Scandal in Belgravia)

I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead..........I heard you.(The Empty Hearse)

November 10, 2012 2:41 pm  #13

I don't think it is, analysis is good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 11, 2012 4:05 am  #14

It's funny, because the "fandom" as we call it now has changed so little. 120 years later, we still mob the creators and scream in horror when Sherlock dies. We talk about how much we hate them. We jump at every little bit of news.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

November 11, 2012 5:05 am  #15

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

It's funny, because the "fandom" as we call it now has changed so little. 120 years later, we still mob the creators and scream in horror when Sherlock dies. We talk about how much we hate them. We jump at every little bit of news.

Which is the way it should be, if you ask me. When you're lucky enough to create something that a large majority of the population connects with, it's a blessing, not a burden and it needs to be treated with the respect it deserves. If we and analyze criticize it's because we care. Our obsession is their reward for the excellent job they did. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

November 23, 2012 3:50 am  #16

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Yeah, I definitely don't want to know ANYTHING, until I sit down to watch the episode. I'm excited now just thinking about how good that evening will be!

TOTALLY. I got what I had to say out of my system here and now I'm happy to wait til next year. 

November 23, 2012 8:48 am  #17

They should do public screenings for Ep. 3.1 , that would be cool. I totally would go and all people in unison when we see how he did it "Nooooo!?" 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 23, 2012 10:52 pm  #18

I don't think I could cope with being in public when I watch it. I need to be locked in my room in complete privacy in full Sherlock cosplay cradling my skull for comfort and dosing myself up on black coffee. I wouldn't want to risk anyone speaking or moving or coughing or sneezing or rustling things. I don't want to miss ANYTHING.

November 23, 2012 10:57 pm  #19

And can I just say at this juncture:  LIVE tweeting during a 1st viewing of  a Sherlock episode!  What's that all about?  No wonder people miss so much, nobody concentrates on anything these days...
This is top quality TV, multi layered and faceted...ok, I'll get my coat.   Not THE coat you understand, just a  coat!

Last edited by besleybean (November 23, 2012 10:57 pm)

November 24, 2012 9:15 pm  #20

besleybean wrote:

And can I just say at this juncture:  LIVE tweeting during a 1st viewing of  a Sherlock episode!  What's that all about?  No wonder people miss so much, nobody concentrates on anything these days...
This is top quality TV, multi layered and faceted...ok, I'll get my coat.   Not THE coat you understand, just a  coat!

I agree. Most TV doesn't grip me that much so when it does I would like to be able to give it more than a cursory glance. When I am 'enthralled' I don't want anyone to even look sideways at me, I think some would agree it's off-putting.

@Morton: I had to leave the house and go for a walk to calm myself down after Reichenbach. The last time any TV left me that riled it was the last episode of Lost. It's not obsessive; just a testament to good storytelling. Good stories stay with you for life and is huge kudos to everyone involved in its creation. It also takes intelligence and imagination to go deeper into any story beyond what is written on the page/presented to you.

I make a point of ignoring anyone who trounces the passions of others. They either lack any passion in their own lives or they just wish they could be brave enough to follow your example.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

Board footera