BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2013 5:36 pm  #21

Re: Dear German speaking people...

Harriet wrote:

Du is an expression of mutual acknowledgement in this case.
They would say Du all over, if it wasn't for nasty customers at times...
So this is a compromise for work friendship and protection of their privacy

(A good friend of mine had a job in that business, and that is what her female co-workers told her.)

Oh, I can understand that line of reason. Thank you for pointing it out.
When I started working I always felt a bit weird when talking to a collegue in front of the pupils. Now I always use "du" and first name for a collegue even in front of the class, while the pupils say "Sie" and family name.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 28, 2014 9:39 am  #22

I only have the UK Blu-rays and I've never watched Sherlock dubbed into German (and would like to keep it that way), but now I'm translating one of my fanfics into German, and I have a bit of a pressing question. It sounds like John and Sherlock still say "Sie" to each other. Which, quite frankly, I find a ridiculous concept, given that John tells him he's his best friend in series 3.

I can somehow see how they might have "siezen" each other in series 1, but now, after how many years of living together? Come on! Obviously series 3 hasn't aired in German yet, but those of you who have seen series 2 in German, are they still saying "Sie"?

Also, any idea how I could translate Mrs Hudson calling John "dear" (as in, "I don't know, dear, he's in quite a mood.")? What does she usually in the German version?

Last edited by TeeJay (February 28, 2014 9:40 am)

February 28, 2014 9:48 am  #23

Yes, they unbelievably do. "Bitten seien Sie nicht tot."  I wonder what they will do with series 3. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 28, 2014 9:49 am  #24

Well, once you've made a mistake, it's useful just to carry on with it 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 28, 2014 9:49 am  #25

Yes, they still say "Sie" at the end of S2.
I actually thought about how they will solve this 'problem' in S3, because let's face it: it reeeaaally will be a huge problem now, with John now telling Sherlock that he's his best friend. And in terms of timing, I think they could change from "Sie" to "Du" pretty convincingly in the scene when John asks Sherlock to be his best man. I still don't have the slightest clue what they might do with this "Best man - best friend"-thing - all I say is "Trauzeuge", it just won't work like it works in English.
But they could change to "Du" right here:
Sherlock: "Also bin ich Ihr... bester Freund?"
John: "Natürlich. Natürlich bist Du... mein bester Freund."
It's still quite unnatural, but that's the best option I can come up with. Maybe they could also do it in TEH, when they are in the train and John tells Sherlock that he forgives him...?
It's a dilemma, though...

As for Mrs. Hudson: I'm not sure what she actually says, but probably "Mein Lieber"?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 28, 2014 11:43 am  #26

SolarSystem wrote:

As for Mrs. Hudson: I'm not sure what she actually says, but probably "Mein Lieber"?

Gosh, German is so twisted sometimes. I guess I'm gonna have to go with "Sie" for my story then. Unless I decide to be a rebel and just do my own thing.

"Mein Lieber", hm... I don't know, that just sounds weird. I might just not mention the "dear" comment altogether in the German version.

Say, would any of you volunteer to beta-read the German translation for me? If so, can you PM me your e-mail address so I can send you the Word doc?

February 28, 2014 1:21 pm  #27

SolarSystem wrote:

I actually thought about how they will solve this 'problem' in S3, because let's face it: it reeeaaally will be a huge problem now, with John now telling Sherlock that he's his best friend. And in terms of timing, I think they could change from "Sie" to "Du" pretty convincingly in the scene when John asks Sherlock to be his best man. I still don't have the slightest clue what they might do with this "Best man - best friend"-thing - all I say is "Trauzeuge", it just won't work like it works in English.
It's still quite unnatural, but that's the best option I can come up with. Maybe they could also do it in TEH, when they are in the train and John tells Sherlock that he forgives him...?

yes, solar, i have thought about just the same scene!!! Which is the actual proposal in my opinion...😍
but for me it would be perfect to say the first "du"at the moment when John says this thing about the two people he loves most:"Mary morstan und..,dich
uuyhhh.. My heart just shattered....

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 28, 2014 1:23 pm  #28

LOL, right, that would be something! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 28, 2014 4:04 pm  #29

I wonder if this has already been discussed but in my opinion the German synchronization is actually not too bad. I also prefer the original but I think Tommy and Sebastian do a fine job. The thing that can't be transferred is just bens and martins great laughing, for example in sib in the Buckingham palace when they frolic with each other....😁
opinions?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 28, 2014 4:18 pm  #30

We were discussing the German dubbing in their respective threads -
for example here:
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=708
for ASiB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 28, 2014 4:20 pm  #31

Okay, I'm done with the translation. I used the Sie, although I think it sounsd really strange and somehow doesn't reflect the right atmosphere. Maybe I should do two alternative versions, one with Du and one with Sie.

Last edited by TeeJay (February 28, 2014 10:47 pm)

February 28, 2014 10:08 pm  #32

mrshouse wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

yes, solar, i have thought about just the same scene!!! Which is the actual proposal in my opinion...😍
but for me it would be perfect to say the first "du"at the moment when John says this thing about the two people he loves most:"Mary morstan und..,dich
uuyhhh.. My heart just shattered....

Oh yes, agreed, that would be an even better moment! That would be quite... romantic, somehow.
I have thought about this some more, and I could imagine that if they should decide to switch to "Du" in S3, they might actually do it right at the beginning, in the first restaurant scene. They might just have John start talking to Sherlock and saying "Du" without making any fuss about it... as if it had always been this way. It might even work... and the 'normal' viewers probably wouldn't even notice it.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 28, 2014 10:09 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 28, 2014 10:35 pm  #33

Solar, I think this would be the easiest solution. Simply let them say "du" from the beginning and forget about the silly idea of having them say "Sie" throughout series 1 and 2. I just had a look at the script. The first time John addresses Sherlock (and did you notice how long it takes for him to say anyhting at all) is when he says: "I thought … you were dead". Would be the perfect opportunity. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 28, 2014 10:36 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 28, 2014 10:59 pm  #34

Yes, you're right, that could actually work pretty well. If they switched to "Du" in the middle of S3, it would probably call too much attention to the fact that something suddenly is 'different'.
I actually can't wait to see the dubbed version, just because I am so curious what they will come up with... in various scenes that will be quite interesting.

February 28, 2014 11:17 pm  #35

So am I. And being a translator makes it even more interesting for me. I really do not envy the people who have to come up with the German version. The "bestman/friend" scene alone is almost untranslatable. 

February 28, 2014 11:30 pm  #36

That's true. I suppose in that scene they will have to come up with something completely different which then leads to John asking Sherlock if he wants to be his "Trauzeuge". But of course I'd be very happy if they were able to surprise me and come up with a play on words which might not be exactly the same as in English, but at least somehow recognizable.

February 28, 2014 11:35 pm  #37

In translation theory there is a thing called "Wirkungsäquivalenz". This is what they have to try - to make the scene as funny and moving as in the original by using other means if necessary. Quite exciting to see what they will come up with. 

February 28, 2014 11:45 pm  #38

I guess that's what I meant, I just didn't know that there is a technical term for this. I love this forum, you always learn something.
What would you come up with, Susi, have you thought about it...?

February 28, 2014 11:46 pm  #39

It's always nice to learn new words. Wirkungsäquivalenz. Never heard that before.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

March 1, 2014 12:27 am  #40

SolarSystem wrote:

I guess that's what I meant, I just didn't know that there is a technical term for this. I love this forum, you always learn something.
What would you come up with, Susi, have you thought about it...?

I also think it would be the best to switch to Du right at the beginning of S3. We already talked about this, Solar, didn't we?And I find Solar's question interesting. You,Susi, as a professional translator ... do you have an idea?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera