BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2013 11:21 am  #1

Dear German speaking people...

...I'm currently translating Soldiering on. I'm quoting from the show two times, but I don't know what is said in the dubbed version. Unfortunately, I don't have my DVDs at home (yes, yes, stupid mistake, how could I give them away???), so I can't just watch it once more. But surely someone knows this by heart:

1. Do you know how "danger night" was translated in Scandal?

2. In Reichenbach, John says "“The press will turn, Sherlock. They always turn, and they’ll turn on you.” What does he say in German?

Thank you!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 1, 2013 11:37 am  #2

Re: Dear German speaking people...

1 Sind Sie sicher, dass er heute nacht gefährdet ist?

2 Die Presse wird eine Kehrtwende machen, unweigerlich. Und sie wird sich gegen Sie wenden.

Cheers 

Last edited by Harriet (May 1, 2013 11:40 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 1, 2013 11:39 am  #3

Oh, thank you, Harriet!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 2013 11:40 am  #4

2. "Die Presse wird eine Kehrtwende machen, unweigerlich, und sie wird sich gegen Sie wenden."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 1, 2013 11:48 am  #5

Thank you, dear!

And damn, right, he says "Sie". I've decided to switch to "du" in my translation. Maybe I'll change it here, as well!

May 1, 2013 11:50 am  #6

You're welcome. Good idea. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 1, 2013 2:02 pm  #7

If you want to keep to the 'feel' of the original series then stick with 'du'. Using 'Sie' is much too formal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 1, 2013 2:49 pm  #8

Definitely. There seems to be an unspoken rule on German TV. According to that two peolpe switch to "du" after they kissed...

May 1, 2013 3:18 pm  #9

In that case: Will we ever hear them say "du"? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2013 3:19 pm  #10

(Or could they have started already?  )

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 1, 2013 3:34 pm  #11

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 1, 2013 3:36 pm  #12

I think they kind of missed the right moment at the latest at the rooftop scene. Not many people would call their only friend "Sie" during their final note.

May 1, 2013 3:38 pm  #13

maybe they do it only in front of the camera 

May 1, 2013 3:38 pm  #14

Definitely not. It sounds ridiculous in this situation. As it does in the graveyard scene.

May 3, 2013 10:39 am  #15

The right moment IMO might have been after Moriarty finally left at the pool. Who would call somebody "Sie" after the person was ready to sacrifice himself for you. At the beginning of Series 2 when repeating the pool scene they could have done it, too. 
I wonder what they will do in Series 3. When they are stubborn, they stick to it untill the end. I read that somebody thought that it is appropriate because using first names and "Sie" is some kind of way to show they are friends, but not too close to each other.
Teachers in school use first names when adressing pupils at the age of 15 or 16.  It is a bit weird there, too.

May 3, 2013 10:45 am  #16

The combination first name + Sie is something I associate with the people working together. Except at the cash point of a gorcery store. For some reason there you can hear "Frau Kneel, kannst du mal...". Strange.

I use first names + du with my pupils, no matter how old. It would feel weird to shout at them like that: "Herr Bauer, halten Sie sofort Ihren Mund!" :-)

May 3, 2013 10:59 am  #17

It is not that strange, this way they can use Du without giving their personal names away to the customers.

May 3, 2013 3:15 pm  #18

But would it be so difficult to stick to "Sie"? I know that this combination is getting into everydays language, but it still sounds wrong to me.

May 3, 2013 4:12 pm  #19

Du is an expression of mutual acknowledgement in this case.
They would say Du all over, if it wasn't for nasty customers at times...
So this is a compromise for work friendship and protection of their privacy 

(A good friend of mine had a job in that business, and that is what her female co-workers told her.)

Last edited by Harriet (May 3, 2013 4:30 pm)

May 3, 2013 4:28 pm  #20

Like in talkshows sometimes.... "Well, we know each other for a looong time now, actually we are friends, but this is official, so let's stick to the "Sie"."
Aaaaargh!!! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera