BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2013 2:47 am  #1

just curious...

it was blatantly obvious to you that it was a cabbie as soon as he started talking about someone who everyone trusts and who hunts in crowds, right? when he said that then said he didnt know who it was, i was surrprised. is it just because its a tv show that whats obvious to us isnt obvious to Sherlock Holmes?

April 28, 2013 9:50 am  #2

Re: just curious...

Well, apparently it was obvious for us and less for Sherlock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 28, 2013 9:52 am  #3

I think a show where Sherlock knew each and everything right away and were always ahead of the audience would be just boring.
So it's important for dramaturgic reasons. 

Last edited by Harriet (April 28, 2013 9:54 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 28, 2013 10:18 am  #4

I agree.
We never fully understand, do we? I mean, even at 221b when Mrs. Hudson was talking about the taxi driver all the time Sherlock didn't seem to get it.
That was not really brilliant, but probably dramaturgy. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 28, 2013 10:42 am  #5

Well, he did understand it immediately in the pilot, so it was all due to the changed length of the episode and the need of building the tension of the final confrontation. In any way, it was sufficient to remember "The Study in Scarlet" in order to know who the murderer was. 

April 28, 2013 2:47 pm  #6

I must admit that I didn't get it right away. But then, I barely ever do.
I only thought of the cabbie when he was standing in 221b.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 28, 2013 5:01 pm  #7

I realised that it has something to do with cabs when I heard a woman telling her (probably, I don't really remember) husband to get a cab and a moment later that man died.

I think there were too many hints in this episode.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

April 28, 2013 5:13 pm  #8

Sherlock fandom rule: Never tell a friend to get a cab.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 28, 2013 9:16 pm  #9

I knew Study In Scarlet anyway so pretty difficult to say whether I would have guessed it earlier or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera