BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2013 6:39 am  #1

On Letterman

Benedict will be appearing on the David Letterman Show onThursday May 9 at 11.45pm on CBS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 10, 2013 3:06 am  #2

Re: On Letterman

Arriving at the Ed Sullivan Theater NYC for this evening's taping:   

May 10, 2013 3:46 am  #3

May 10, 2013 4:47 am  #4

Well, that was kinda cute in parts, and the rest disappointing........   anyone else?   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 10, 2013 4:48 am  #5

wow, thanks for the link!    Now I don't need to stay up until midnight to watch here on the west coast. 

Clearly Dave doesn't really know who Benedict is.   But was impressed with how great he was dressed..  And although they laughed over those silly otter photos,  BC never mentioned Sherlock...  He was also in the very last timeslot.

All that aside,  I do think Mr. Letterman was pretty blown away by the Star Trek film clip.
"Wow!   No offense to the rest of the cast, but you really don't need much more than you."

May 10, 2013 5:21 am  #6

Eh... I was simply thoroughly reminded why I don't bother with most late night talk... they make most of it pointless or ridiculous (which was pretty much the whole show up until his two guests that night)  : P  The only only reason I remembered it was on and stayed by the tv to watch was thanks to an ad after 'Elementary' (which was pretty good) highlighting the night's guests (the other of whom was Jack Hanna, the tv wild animal guy, who's honestly pretty neat, with his menagerie).  But one guess which one perked me up.     

Don't really keep up with all his interviews, either, but Benedict was easy-goingly sweet again as usually seems to be in online clips.  And modest/patient.  And pretty nice/joking about Dave saying 'Star Wars' at first until he caught himself (but yeah, kinda cool to see he was just as blown away by the clip, despite not taking the rest seriously).  And bringing up the silly otter pictures again.  : P  (first pic: 'Can you explain this?'  'Well, that's Hanna and I backstage before the show')  Ha.     And mentioning how 'War Horse' was one of his first 'bigger' films, Dave commenting how that was a while back, was sort of just a kid, and now... then Ben quipped back 'Oh, I'm always a kid at heart, Dave'  *smile*   Cue the melting.......   ;D

Last edited by Russell (May 10, 2013 5:23 am)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 10, 2013 7:16 am  #7

Just watched it. Benedict looked lovely, he seemed very relaxed and coped well with Letterman's often uninformed questions and remarks. Well done. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2013 10:07 am  #8

He was lovely  

But Letterman really is the worst interviewer. He has no idea about is guests and has to read his cards. This otter pics are soooo old and a bit boring when they are shown at every interview he does.  Why couldn't he go to Jimmy Fallon or better Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert.

Last edited by Ivy (May 10, 2013 10:13 am)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 10, 2013 10:32 am  #9

He is scheduled to appear on Jimmy Fallon tonight actually.  (Fri May 10).  

May 10, 2013 11:36 am  #10

I fell asleep with the TV on last night but luckily woke up to the beautiful sound of Ben's voice in time to hear most of the interview plus the ST clip. To my mind, Letterman redeemed himself with the "no offense to the rest of the cast" comment at the end.  I showed the ST clip to my husband this morning and he remarked, "That was like Olivier performing with Mrs. Smith's kindergarten class in the school play" :-) No offense to the Chris Pine fans, but wouldn't you love to see Ben acting alongside Patrick Stewart?  That would be a match made in heaven!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

May 10, 2013 12:10 pm  #11

The irony. "A British icon!" I think Dave wanted to call him "sonny" or "junior" a couple of times in the begininng, too.
Not too impressed when Dave tried to embarass him with otter pix.
Good god, he recovered well. An eye roll would have been appropriate.
Really Dave? Visually, you were seeing things?
Am I the only one who face-palmed everytime Dave opened his mouth?
Yeah, this is part of the reason I don't watch "regular TV" hardly ever anymore.
Benedict did well, I think he could have led the conversation. No wonder everyone thinks we are a bunch of dumb Yanks, thanks a bunch Dave.

Benedict, don't change. Please don't change. Please.

And, Keepers, I totally agree about Patrick Stewart! Long live John Harrison! (Of course, I haven't seen it yet, but we all have our favorite villians, right?)

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

May 10, 2013 12:24 pm  #12

Every fairy tale needs... (you can fill in the rest).

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 10, 2013 12:43 pm  #13

Davina wrote:

Every fairy tale needs... (you can fill in the rest).

A hot, smexy villian with an amazing voice like melted chocolate?

*******************************************************************************************************************

May 10, 2013 12:52 pm  #14

You mean Andrew? 

May 10, 2013 1:38 pm  #15

LOL Davina!

Watched the interview right now and I think I agree with the rest of you here.
Though I would love to see Ben in a German show some day, I now honestly hope he will never be invited to "Wetten dass". It would be even more embarrassing....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 10, 2013 2:11 pm  #16

He'd need an interpreter!

May 10, 2013 2:17 pm  #17

I can't believe that they actually showed the otter pictures...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 10, 2013 2:18 pm  #18

Mattlocked wrote:

LOL Davina!

Watched the interview right now and I think I agree with the rest of you here.
Though I would love to see Ben in a German show some day, I now honestly hope he will never be invited to "Wetten dass". It would be even more embarrassing....

OMG, I thought the same. Stupid questions and a German voice-over to drown the jaguar. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2013 2:43 pm  #19

Mary Me wrote:

I can't believe that they actually showed the otter pictures...

Sneaky way to promote Sherlock without talking about it!

May 10, 2013 3:01 pm  #20

I just wonder if you can understand the pics without knowing about Sherlock AND CP. 

Board footera