BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2013 9:20 pm  #1

Possible Martin References on the US Office?

I was re-watching the Florida episodes from last year.  In "Test the Store" at one point, Dwight says "No S**t Sherlock!" to Jim.  In the very next episode "Last Day in Florida" Dwight tells Jim that he looks like the world's tallest Hobbit. Jim of course is based on Tim from the original Office, who was played by Martin.   The episodes were shot around the time Series 2 of Sherlock aired on BBC. Fans in the US watched it online and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there are Sherlock fans among the writers of the Office, there are certainly LotR fans.  Martin was also shooting the Hobbit at that time.   "No s**t Sherlock!" has been a common expression for as long as I can remember and Dwight has been shown to be a Tolkien nut throughout the show (just see how irritated he gets at Ryan for messing up the Tolkien references in Happy Hour).  There have been a lot of subtle nods to the original show over the years, and the back to back references seem to be a nod to Martin and his work, then again I may be over thinking things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

Board footera