BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 6, 2013 9:09 am  #21

Re: Graham Norton Show - 3rd May

Harriet wrote:

Ivy wrote:

That was so great. A great sofa this time. He was too embarrassed to say "cumberbitches" how sweet is that.

I think it is embarrassing indeed, derogatory language doesn't suit him.
He can't stop fans from doing this, but my appreciation of him will drop tremendously if he would join it

I agree, I never liked "Cumberbitches". I prefer Cumberladies or Cumbercollective. And I would have said it like that if Graham Norton had asked me. I think Benaddict is also a good name, but I'm a Ben Miller fan, therefore that would be too confusing for me.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 6, 2013 9:11 am  #22

I think he got carried away a bit by the atmosphere in the studio when he made that joke. Which is just human and happens to me quite often. On the other hand he's shown often enough to be uneasy with the word so I wouldn't hold that against him. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 6, 2013 12:22 pm  #23

Davina wrote:

Chris Pine hugged Kim because Graham actually told him to hug her. 

Oh, did he? I haven't noticed, but audio in you tube upload isn't the best. That's explains it, I was a bitt puzzled.

As for the way of sitting, you are probably right, it is not the first time I have noticed it, however. I have seen quite a lot of Benedict's interviews (naturally...) and quite a few of CP (being a reasonable Star Trek fan) and the people tend to assume similar position in a given situation.

I do not imply that CP adn BC don't like each other and of course they were both polite and charming. What I did notice, nevertheless, was a certain lack of... call it cameraderie? For example, yesterday I watched a hilarious ST invterview with Alice Eve and Simon Pegg and they had a wonderful non verbal interaction, you can see immediately they are very comfortable with each other. I am quite interested in body language therefore I tend to pay a close attention to all non verbal signals, such as hands, legs, gestures etc. I was enchanted by BC non verbal interaction with Kim Cattrell they both settled into it in such a natural way (I don't know if they knew each other before?). What I noticed about CP was that his body was sending opposite signs: an "open" way of sitting and  "close" hands. Also, feet occassionaly moved in a very characteristic way (ok, I am already too boring won't go into it further).  May be he felt a bit ill at ease, because he was, after all, an "outsider" while KC and BC were playing "at home". However, there was almost no non verbal interaction with either Benedict, nor KC.

I read the bubbly story of the Nebraska girl and I have to say I found it a bit scary. It is nice that they went to hug their fans, but it is sad that every kind gesture becomes a topic for a great  internet story for millions. And also, while it is great to be obsessed with Benedict (I can tell something about it myself ), it is not entirely sound to mix it with the real life (I am not sure if I make myself clear)

May 6, 2013 1:08 pm  #24

SusiGo wrote:

I think he got carried away a bit by the atmosphere in the studio when he made that joke. Which is just human and happens to me quite often. On the other hand he's shown often enough to be uneasy with the word so I wouldn't hold that against him. 

I agree. I think if you see it within its context, it's fine. At least it wasn't him who brought up this cumberbitch-thing.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera