BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2013 5:02 pm  #1

Graham Norton Show - 3rd May

Benedict will be appearing on the Graham Norton Show on Friday 3 May at 22.35 (most areas of UK and available I-player afterwards). His fellow guests will be: Sex and the City star Kim Cattrall and Eurovision 2013 entrant (groan!) Bonnie Tyler.

Hopefully noone will indulge in too much alcohol in the Green Room and everyone will behave themselves!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 23, 2013 1:25 pm  #2

Re: Graham Norton Show - 3rd May

Chris Pine will also be a guest on the same show as Benedict. All very Trekkie!  Just wondering now who the third guest will be...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 23, 2013 2:16 pm  #3

Can anyone post the link to access the Iplayer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

April 23, 2013 4:59 pm  #4

So it will be Benedict, Chris, Kim, and Bonnie (singing I assume and maybe a short interview after).

May 3, 2013 6:30 pm  #5

I think the video belongs in here:
(love it, love it, love it!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aCPXURIaJBk

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 3, 2013 6:30 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 3, 2013 6:59 pm  #6

Mattlocked wrote:

I think the video belongs in here:
(love it, love it, love it!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aCPXURIaJBk

*hyperventilating and lost for words* 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 4, 2013 11:33 am  #7

This was very entertaining. Couldn't stop laughing at the "neutron cream". I could have done without Bonnie Tyler but she wasn't there for long. All others funny and charming. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 4, 2013 11:58 am  #8

Oh my 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 4, 2013 1:01 pm  #9

I loved the part where Chris Pine was hugging and kissing women in the audience and Benedict said "he kissed one of my b**ches!" and looked all embarassed.  Although  I'm a Cumberb**ch, I wouldn't turn down a kiss from Chris Pine.  Benedict is scheduled to appear on Letterman.  Hopefully he'll appear on a better talk show like The Colbert Report.  Letterman probably knows nothing about Sherlock or Star Trek.  He asked a bunch of boring questions to Martin last December.  Stephen Colbert would probably go off topic with some Smaug stuff, but he's a Sherlock and Star Trek fan so it would be a fun interview to watch.  If Letterman's the only US talk show that gets the awesomeness that is Benedict, I'll be very sad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

May 5, 2013 9:48 am  #10

Watched it on you tube.... and loved it, of course, even if on the whole it is kind of silly show, as a general formula, I mean, all jokes and laughs. I would love to see Benedict in a more serious show, indeed.
But.... some thoughts to share?
I think it was interesting to compare Chris Pine "americanishness" and Benedict's "britishness", for example. It was very evident from the very beginnig: Pine going for a hug with Kim Cattrall, even if he didn't know her (I presume) and Benedict more formal handshake, and than the way they were sitting: Pine all relaxed american-style and Benedict erect and elegant. Also Pine announcing with glee that his fans are called Pine-nuts and Benedict going with Cumber-collective (I won't say it, it's BBC1)
Kim Cattrall was charming and classy and I think it was a good idea to invite her too. I've got an impression (which of course may be wrong) that there is not so much friendship between CP and BC. Benedict did remember to say that "Kirk is a fantastic captain" and get some applause for CP from the public, but I haven't heard one word of praise about Benedict's performance from Pine in the whole show. 
Neutron creme was a hilarious anegdote and delivered in a charming way (but I didn't like the way Pine interrupted Benedict adding his two cents about it). Nevertheless, yet again I got an impression (only an impression, mind you!) that there might have been some "man's man" pranks during the filming which Benedict didn't enjoy too much.

May 5, 2013 5:08 pm  #11

Chris Pine hugged Kim because Graham actually told him to hug her. Benedict shook hands with her because she extended her hand first to shake hands. He did hug Graham exactly as Chris did. I did not get even an inkling that there was no friendship between Benedict and Chris. There were a lot of smiles, nods and winks interchanged between them both. It was also easier for Chris to sit a more relaxed manner as he was at the end of the couch which has the arm. Kim also sat in an upright posture. The neutron cream episode was hilarious and is a fairly typical initiation-type prank to play on a newbie. Obviously it is a bit cringeworthy now but the fact that the whole crew joined in, including the Grip, was just brilliant.

I though it was lovely that Benedict went up to hug those who had travelled a long way but Kent? Really? Hilarious!

Didn't bother listening/watching Bonnie Tyler as I can't stand Eurovision and wasn't a great fan of her back in the 80s- the advantage of watching on I-player.

I thought the dynamic between Graham and the three main guests worked really well. Kim came over as a thoroughly nice lady who is clearly an amazing talent. The fact that they all have a theatrical (as in theatre) background was good common ground. I saw no points scoring going on. One of the better Graham Norton Shows I have watched.

May 5, 2013 5:16 pm  #12

That was so great. A great sofa this time. He was too embarrassed to say "cumberbitches" how sweet is that.
Was someone from the forum in the audience? When that one girl said she's from Nebraska I thought "isn't someone in the forum from Nebraska?" 

I wished it had been Martin instead of Chris Pine (not my cup of tea), they both need to come when season 3 is out.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 5, 2013 5:45 pm  #13

Oh! Meant to say and forgot. Graham went to the Central School for Speech and Drama. Amongst many, many other alumni is...Martin Freeman.

May 6, 2013 5:09 am  #14

Ivy wrote:

Was someone from the forum in the audience? When that one girl said she's from Nebraska I thought "isn't someone in the forum from Nebraska?" 

I don't know,  but here is a bubbly story from the Nebraska girl's adventure at the Graham Norton show taping:

http://ohmysaintedpyjamas.tumblr.com/post/49466523750/my-graham-norton-story-with-benedict-cumberbatch

May 6, 2013 8:35 am  #15

Ivy wrote:

That was so great. A great sofa this time. He was too embarrassed to say "cumberbitches" how sweet is that.

I think it is embarrassing indeed, derogatory language doesn't suit him.
He can't stop fans from doing this, but my appreciation of him will drop tremendously if he would join it 

Last edited by Harriet (May 6, 2013 8:35 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 6, 2013 8:38 am  #16

He won't. Just watched another interview where it was mentioned. He refused to say the word himself and repeated that he'd prefer other terms. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 6, 2013 8:42 am  #17

Harriet wrote:

Ivy wrote:

I think it is embarrassing indeed, derogatory language doesn't suit him.
He can't stop fans from doing this, but my appreciation of him will drop tremendously if he would join it

Let's just think of "He kissed one of my bitches!" 
I found that part terribly funny, because after he was like: "Oh f**k, did I just speak out loud?"

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 6, 2013 8:43 am  #18

SusiGo wrote:

He won't. Just watched another interview where it was mentioned. He refused to say the word himself and repeated that he'd prefer other terms. 

The Cumbercollective! 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 6, 2013 8:49 am  #19

Edit: Reply to the one above:

Well, Mary, and this is what I don't find funny. Many 14 year old boys have a better attitude towards girls than calling them bitch, in whatever context.

Cumbercollective is great 

Last edited by Harriet (May 6, 2013 8:50 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 6, 2013 8:56 am  #20

Harriet wrote:

Many 14 year old boys have a better attitude towards girls than calling them bitch, in whatever context.

Hm, I don't know any of them 

However, they're calling themselves that, so I don't think it's fatal. We know how Benedict feels about it, actually it doesn't matter how he says it. He's human after all and everyone says things sometimes, which should be better unmentioned. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera