BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2016 2:34 am  #181

Re: What are you listening to?

I don't know every Adele song (basically only the ones she sang on her Live in London show and then maybe one or two more in addition) but I do appreciate that she has a great voice.

I suppose to some extent her songs share similar themes, but I think those are just common themes in music generally.
Not all of them are about lost love, though, even if perhaps remembering the past is a more general theme. Like "Million Years Ago" and "When We Were Young" (which I like a lot).

And then of course, Skyfall is epic.

Last edited by Yitzock (January 24, 2016 2:35 am)

Clueing for looks.

January 26, 2016 5:07 pm  #182

Yeah, that's what I mean!  I mean, I know there's certain common themes, and more so depending on the artist or the image/message they tend to build.  And I think her voice is fantastic, I was just expressing mixed uncertainty of whether or not I enjoyed the songs themselves, considering only a few really grabbed at (which again, is a vague yet interesting musical quality of the right rhythm/notes/emotional pull), and that pretty much every single one had the same theme.  I guess I just thought her 'journey' of a new album would vary more… I practically almost said 'finally!' when I got to the last song and it was about being actually happy in love.  And yes, her 'Skyfall' was fantastic!  I think she does well when doing heartfelt/sultry songs like that… almost an old-school feel.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 27, 2016 10:50 pm  #183

Les Mots by Seal and Mylene Farmer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhO0EtNT4Q0

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 28, 2016 4:56 am  #184

nakahara wrote:

What… did I just listen to??      I have been a big fan of Seal ever since I discovered him as a teenager, and mostly kept up with his work over the years (even as it varied), although evidently didn't hear about everything he was doing.  That was beautiful.  Never heard of the woman, and was struck by how soprano her voice was!  Thanks!  Funny you should post that now, when I've been thinking of him lately, waiting to get his newest cd (another one of those cases with longtime-artist-finally-returns-from-a-long-break type thing, so I'm so much hoping he created some more great stuff like what I loved his voice all this time for!)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

January 28, 2016 6:38 am  #185

I confess I know relatively little of Seal's work.
But what I've heard I love.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 28, 2016 9:22 am  #186

Russell wrote:

nakahara wrote:

What… did I just listen to?? I have been a big fan of Seal ever since I discovered him as a teenager, and mostly kept up with his work over the years (even as it varied), although evidently didn't hear about everything he was doing. That was beautiful. Never heard of the woman, and was struck by how soprano her voice was! Thanks! Funny you should post that now, when I've been thinking of him lately, waiting to get his newest cd (another one of those cases with longtime-artist-finally-returns-from-a-long-break type thing, so I'm so much hoping he created some more great stuff like what I loved his voice all this time for!)

I love this song and I´m glad it was to your liking.
Seal is a great singer and Mylene Farmer is one of the most popular icons of French popular music (+ on top of a lovely voice, she writes very poetic lyrics to her songs and has interesting videoclips). She sometimes works together with "anglo-saxon" artists. For example, not that long ago she sang "Stolen Car" together with Sting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQkkmYIu95I

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 28, 2016 9:38 am  #187

For those, who are interested, I found a wonderful German translation of Les Mots lyrics. Incredibly poetic and almost better than the original lyrics, tbh.

http://www.songtexte.com/uebersetzung/mylene-farmer/les-mots-deutsch-5bd6bb78.html

January 31, 2016 5:42 pm  #188

I'm listening to Moonlight Sonata.
Because I can't find it in me to learn to play it, even if it's a simple one.

So, yes, been listening to Moonlight Sonata on a loop. Since yesterday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 31, 2016 5:43 pm  #189

Lilythiell wrote:

I'm listening to Moonlight Sonata.
Because I can't find it in me to learn to play it, even if it's a simple one.

So, yes, been listening to Moonlight Sonata on a loop. Since yesterday.

I learnt how to play it on the smule piano game on my ipad! Hahaha... I need a piano again but I can't fit one in my house!

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

January 31, 2016 5:46 pm  #190

We have an electric piano in our house.
It was originally my son's, until he lost interest.
My daughter's quite interested, but yes, can't fit it in where she lives.
She does have her violin with her, though she is a beginner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 31, 2016 6:04 pm  #191

I'm taking the flute up again after getting some advice from my friend who's a teacher about how to avoid skin contact with it as I'm allergic to nickel so had to stop playing at 16. Very exciting!

---------------

January 31, 2016 6:05 pm  #192

Gosh, that is a shame, but great if you can get it sorted.
I only play recorders.

January 31, 2016 6:09 pm  #193

I love my recorders! I think they're all at my sisters though as she kept them all as she was a music teacher and I moved a lot when I was in my early twenties.

---------------

February 1, 2016 8:35 pm  #194

I watched The Voice UK on Saturday and a girl sang "Life on Mars" and it's still in my head. So I'm back in the Bowie phase. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 3, 2016 10:24 pm  #195

My favourite series of the moment concluded season 2 (which I watched again today) with Elton John's Rocket Man. Now I have an ear worm.... It was just so apt and I hadn't heard it in a long, long time....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 4, 2016 6:41 am  #196

Ah Elton...the fave of one of my best old school friends.
Not heard him for years and have got out of touch with my old pal

February 4, 2016 9:12 am  #197

Oh I loooove Rocket Man

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 8, 2016 6:35 pm  #198

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcjWdHD6GQ

Talking Heads: People Like Us

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 13, 2016 4:44 pm  #199

Listening to Michael Price's Entanglement album? Rather fitting to the family circumstances.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 8, 2016 10:20 pm  #200

Ok, so my head got plunged a bit this week into two quite different song line-ups, but both fascinating (albeit annoying when they keep overlapping themselves, stuck in your head!)     First off, after getting curious enough of the buzz I kept hearing about the genius creativity with Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'Hamilton' Broadway hit, I checked out the soundtrack on youtube, and gotta say, it's really good!  Very interesting, taking a historical musical (which you think might be a bit boring), and punching it up with a diverse cast, hip hop music, and attitude!  And I'm not even a huge musical fan, but the clips look a lot of fun, if any of you have heard of it and want to check out a bit of it?  Most of them are kept off of youtube, but here's a great article with the opening number segment they got to perform as part of the Grammys:   http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/15/11010890/hamilton-lin-manuel-miranda-grammys-2016

Then by chance, I somehow came across a years-old viral video from Nick Pitera, who has this amazing vocal range that goes up to being able to do the female part in a duet!  From nearly a decade ago, here's the one that started getting him attention (including singing it on 'Ellen'!):   A Whole New World

If you like Disney/Broadway, please do check out his covers… they're wonderful!  Part of Your World, Kiss The Girl, Belle, I See The Light, self-medleys of a One Man Disney Movie, One Man Lion King, One Man Les Mis, One Man Phantom of the Opera (his high-voiced Christine is amazing!), then various other pop hits.

So many amazing singers you come across by chance because a good cover of theirs went viral on their channel, and they built up a following from there.  That's how I discovered Peter Hollens (who does vocal layers like Nick), The Piano Guys, and Lindsey Stirling.  Nick just seems like such a fun guy, a total theatre geek who apparently even works for Pixar now, and got to work with Disney's Aladdin and Lion King Broadway productions when making those musical video covers. 

Aaand...  that got a little long again, sorry.  Just really neat, and wanted to share it with! 

Board footera