BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2012 10:39 am  #21

Re: Any Holmes stories you'd like to see them tackle?

Oh, it also made me think of the scene in Hawking where he successfully chats up a young lady in a pub through sheer force of intellect; cosmology is the new sexy too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 26, 2012 10:51 am  #22

But you know, then on the other hand the simple wooing etc he did in the original was deemed to be 'the wrong thing to do' in that day & age.
In this day & age sleeping with her may be closer to the equivalent amount of 'wrong' so he may have to go that far. As in the original, there would be no emotional attraction at all, it'd just be necessary detective work. Someone sleeping with a woman just for necessary detective work is pretty low, let's face it.

So yes, he will have to sleep with her and we shall be forced to watch those scenes in order to gain the necessary shock value intended in the original. We can justify these scenes by the simple phrase that has served us well thus far in this forum : " It's canon".

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 26, 2012 12:59 pm  #23

Really hope they don't take that route, methinks it would be unwise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 30, 2012 7:50 pm  #24

I don't know about any specific story, but of what I'm certain I would like to see on the coming season are the slow motion, sequenced movements and punches while he  relates the damages and trauma that will cause when he gets realy furious on a fight. 

I know it happens on the american version, but come on, can be done...  think would be really Sherlock, because even though he is kind of thin guy he's a great fighter.   

by,
Nütek

May 31, 2012 2:47 am  #25

Nutek wrote:

I don't know about any specific story, but of what I'm certain I would like to see on the coming season are the slow motion, sequenced movements and punches while he  relates the damages and trauma that will cause when he gets realy furious on a fight. 

I know it happens on the american version, but come on, can be done...  think would be really Sherlock, because even though he is kind of thin guy he's a great fighter.   

How many of the original stories have you read? You won't find many 'action scenes' among them. Sherlock for the main part uses brains not brawn to solve cases.
We've had a scene where he assesses the possible 'kill points' on the CIA agent, honestly that is about as 'bloodied' as the fights are ever going to get.

For myself personally, if you have not gathered already, I will state it here clearly: I don't care how the Americans have butchered the Holmes & Watson stories, I wouldn't expect Moftiss to take up that mantle in any way shape or form in the future.

There are not action stories. If that's what you're looking for, you've watched the wrong shows.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 31, 2012 2:57 am  #26

I apologize my friend. I'm just a humble Sherlock fan looking for some action. And 'NOT', I've not been watching the wrong show, I know exactly what I want to watch. 

by,
Nütek

May 31, 2012 3:05 am  #27

But there never has been 'action' in the stories, why would they put that in now? There is no place for it.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 31, 2012 5:39 am  #28

You're talking about the movies right? I do like the movies but they are very un-canon....Sherlock Holmes is more about mystery, intrigue and intelligently working things out than blowing things up and fighting. It's not an action show...it's not James Bond

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 31, 2012 6:38 pm  #29

Just occasionally Sherlock Holmes will use his fists, Dr. Watson describes him as being a fine boxer. However he uses guile, deduction and intelligence to solve the mysteries not brawn.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 1, 2012 7:19 pm  #30

I think some of the most adaptable are Silver Blaze, Charles Augustus Milverton, The Musgrave Ritual, and The Cardboard Box. Obviously, each would need to expand beyond its original scope, just as was done with A Study in Scarlet, but I can see the settings of each of these being brought to "re-life".

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 8, 2012 8:12 pm  #31

Davina wrote:

The Red-headed League. For no other reason than Ben and Mark really being red-heads, that and being surrounded by them at home.

I'm a redhead too (sultry vixen that I am) so I am all for that!  Perhaps Holmes and Watson can investigate the disappearance of red headed women being used to procreate red headed children for a neo nazi terrorist a cult who worship the redheaded Greek rmythological demon Lamia.

M&G I am available for a walk on part.

I like it

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 8, 2012 8:29 pm  #32

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

Davina wrote:

The Red-headed League. For no other reason than Ben and Mark really being red-heads, that and being surrounded by them at home.

I'm a redhead too (sultry vixen that I am) so I am all for that!  Perhaps Holmes and Watson can investigate the disappearance of red headed women being used to procreate red headed children for a neo nazi terrorist a cult who worship the redheaded Greek rmythological demon Lamia.

M&G I am available for a walk on part.

I like it

Shameless self-promotion and sacrifice of your body, err, hair, for fame and recognition...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 8, 2012 8:30 pm  #33

I can supply many extras for red-headed scenes.

June 8, 2012 9:23 pm  #34

Tantalus wrote:

Shameless self-promotion and sacrifice of your body, err, hair, for fame and recognition...

Guilty as charged. Fortunately Sherlock, and not the lady representing the Crown, is my barrister. As a backup I have Moriarty's room service video hooked up.

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 9, 2012 3:49 pm  #35

I opt for "The case of the dying detective". I would like to see Sherlock have a go at pretending to suffer from a rare and highly contagious Asian disease.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 30, 2012 12:21 am  #36

I think clearly the writing possibilities are endless for my favorite ACD story, "The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton". In this, Sherlock actually gets engaged to a housemaid to get information. Can you imagine? In the Victorian Era, this would have involved lots of talk, walks,  "Good heavens, those talks..." with someone of Holmes level in society. But can you imagine Sherlock in this situation in the era of sex on a first date? The comedic and dramatic possibilities, oh my. Plus we really get a very touching moment of  Watson's loyalty to Holmes, and seeing that loyalty returned.  If Gatiss and Moffatt are true Holmes geeks, they won't pass this one up or <in begging tone> "Please, don't pass this one up!"

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I killed people"   "You're a Doctor!"    "I had bad days..."

July 30, 2012 12:40 am  #37

An adaptation of The Sign of the Four or The Adventure of the Dancing Men or The Adventure of the Copper Beeches would be most appreciated. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

July 30, 2012 12:44 am  #38

I saw the Jeremy Brett version of The Musgrave Ritual a few days ago and really enjoyed it, I'm sure they could put parts of that to good use. Interestingly, Holmes seemed to be wearing a grey shock blanket through almost the entire episode.

Last edited by JaneCo (July 30, 2012 12:46 am)

July 30, 2012 10:09 am  #39

I was thinking Musgrave Ritual driving this morning. Has real potential.

July 31, 2012 7:01 am  #40

It'd be interesting to see if they'd bring in the rival detective that first appears in The Retired Colourman as a rival to replace Moriarty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the foil of a detective a thief or a magician?

My Theory on the Fall: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=21539#p21539

Board footera