BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2013 2:44 pm  #1

Sherlock was never on the building that he 'jumped off'

kazza474 wrote:

Tantalus wrote:

But...here's what has been bothering me. In the canon, Holmes survives the Reichenbach Falls how? BECAUSE HE WAS NEVER IN THE FALLS... He made people believe he had gone over with Moriarty, but he actually scampers up a cliff face and disappears over the hills into Switzerland (oh, wait, that was "Sound of Music").

Would Moftiss make this great of a departure from the original story? Guess so, 'cause I do still believe Sherlock jumped. It does bother me though.

I think so; the fact that he was 'never in the falls' can be countered with the fact that he WAS AT THE FALLS. The area is called 'The Reichenbach Falls'.
Geez, I hope he doesn't marry an ex-nun ........

While reading through the theories, this stuck out to me, and an absurd thought popped into my head. What if Sherlock wasn't actually on top of that building when he supposedly jumped? How was he able to get down to quickly to watch people attend to his 'body'? What if he was able to make it appear that he fell (a dummy, or a cadaver that Molley gave him with the same build as him), and in the moments that John is distracted, he lays down in the cadavers place on the pavement? Of course, he was standing on the building when he phoned John, but maybe, in John's disorientation, he missed seeing Sherlock do something. For example, someone in a car, someone that he knew, drove past, and he momentarily looked at it, taking his eyes off 'Sherlock', thereby not noticing 'Sherlock' grab the cadaver and hold it in his place. What if  Sherlock and Moriaty were actually on top of another building, and the footage of him falling was of someone else pushing the cadaver off the building that John believes Sherlock is standing on? This would give Sherlock (who is actually in another building) enough time to leave and be able to watch people attend to his 'body'. 
Now, you might think: 'but that was Sherlock's body on the pavement!'. Well, yes, it was. Somebody who was in on the plan gave Sherlock a drug like Tetrodotoxin to make him appear as though he was dead. That's why there were doctors on the scene immediately. One of them administed the drug earlier. This theory would work with the original story, as Sherlock wasn't actually at the Reichenbach Falls. 

So: *Sherlock is standing on another building, not the one that John believes he was standing on
* Someobody used a cadaver to make it appear he jumped.
* A doctor have Sherlock Tetrodotoxin to make it appear as though he was dead. 

Last edited by looking-glass-girl (April 11, 2013 2:44 pm)

April 11, 2013 3:03 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock was never on the building that he 'jumped off'

I had this thought recently, too. But then I went to St Barts and after having seen it I can't believe he wasn't. You see him clearly standing up there on this very building, you see the immediate vicinity during the scene with Moriarty and the conversation with John.
If they had used a trick like the one with the corpse you mention it would mean that we see it with John's eyes and are deceived by Moftiss. In all the episodes they've never such a trick. Of course there's Sherlock talking about the magic trick but this may actually apply to his deductions and have nothing to do with faking hid death. It may but it doesn't have to. 
And remember, the moment Sherlock jumps (alone) we see his back and only then the camera changes to John's POV. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 11, 2013 9:11 pm  #3

And a corpse would look differently during the fall - this one is still moving, in tension.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 11, 2013 10:02 pm  #4

Harriet yk I've never thought of that but its a great point, he's certainly alive during the long shots upwards.

What about that shot though when he just falls to what we don't-quite-see of the pavement? Everything else aside, I don't think he moves there. He falls too fast really to see...

Really sorry but ingenious as the solution is I'm pretty sure its the same building. I know the area reasonably well and the pavement he falls to is certainly unneath that roof.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 11, 2013 11:28 pm  #5

You can match up the buildings we see behind and beside Sherlock while he's talking to John as the same ones you'd see if he was standing on the roof. I'm sure it's him standing there talking. And it's definately him that jumped.

================================================================

April 12, 2013 10:45 am  #6

Remember, he throws his phone away. And then he jumps, so I'm pretty sure it's Sherlock who jumps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

Board footera