BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2013 4:31 am  #1

POLL: Don't Drink The Water!

Hello guys!   So… I know this is a bit of an odd(er) poll… eh, you know what they say about curiosity.  ;P

Can't help but wonder, though, after getting into a light debate with a coworker.  Sure, I try to eat and drink healthy… not a super-nutritionist-informed health buff, but also not gung-ho over too much soda/junk.  Just a healthy balance.  She was apparently shocked though, that I wasn't too concerned about grabbing a glass of water from the tap, if I didn't have a bottle of it around, or at a place with a filtered pitcher or something.  'You shouldn't drink the water!!'   And thus gave me flashbacks to every tv episode I've seen where there was 'something in the water', being a favorite human thing to be creeped out by.      Ha.

I don't know… I do understand filtered is safer (and I think in a large part, depends on your area!), but I guess part of me wondered how much of a difference it all really made, seeing as locally, I've never heard of our water being that bad, other than annoyingly on the 'hard' side, and so simply never bothered to get a Brita or the like (and most the water I drink is at work, and filtered).  But… does she have a point?   Tell me, what's your attitude?  Curious to ask you guys rather than, say, on my facebook, because that would be too limited to just a few geographic areas of the US, wondering if attitudes/safety of water vary widely by country.  Hmm... and maybe I'll grab myself a filter tomorrow just in case, anyway.  All those users, and tv episodes, can't be wrong  ;)   Thanks!

Do you drink the water?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 10, 2013 5:06 am  #2

Re: POLL: Don't Drink The Water!

I do care very much about my tap water, seeing that we collect it ourselves on our roof in rural Australia

April 10, 2013 5:33 am  #3

Hrm....  sigh, I guess trying to simplify it to those answers doesn't quite incorporate the bigger picture, but I thought the various situations might boil down to those options, anyway, just curious of the range of views towards it.  I.e., know some people in the country who get water from a well definitely don't drink it right from the tap, simply because it's not a good idea to, rather than any more-health-conscious attitude.  Sorry.... interesting to think about the far differing range of supply....  thanks for that, Doctor!  ;)

...and maybe should have asked how much of the person's view on it was correlated to/based on their city/country/place in the world as far as availability and safety of it went, or general attitude in those places.  But it's hardly a scientific study... just curious, with all the stuff we're bombarded with these days of watching out what's in our food...  ;P

Last edited by Russell (April 10, 2013 5:41 am)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

April 10, 2013 6:51 am  #4

Over here tap water is controlled very strictly. I don't have a water filter and use tap water mainly for cooking but I don't mind drinking it occasionally. However, I usually drink bottled water as I prefer it carbonated. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2013 8:02 am  #5

I drink a lot of tap water at home, we hardly ever buy bottled.
Better for environment (rubbish! transport!), maybe health (in case of plastic bottles: traces of chemicals) and less to carry 
From NYC I even got a drinking bottle for tap water, from the City's tap water campain in benefit of the environment.
So I have original NYC water now, whereever I go 

For tea I use a brita filter, as our tap water is a bit too hard for good tea.
I love visiting my aunt as their tap water is very soft and tasty.
When I start finding tap water a little boring, I just add a slice of lemon.

Last edited by Harriet (April 10, 2013 8:04 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 10, 2013 10:21 am  #6

I drink the tap-water, it´s no problem here and there were some researches that it is maybe better than the bottled one /concerning it´s in transparent bottles, so it may be changed by light, time and conditions of storage etc../. I drink mostly tea then, made of tap water. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

April 10, 2013 10:25 am  #7

I always use tap water here in Berlin, because it´s said to be very good. I use it for everything, cooking, the cats, my son and myself, also because I don´t like to carry huge amounts of water bottles into the fourth floor .

April 10, 2013 12:20 pm  #8

anjaH_alias wrote:

I always use tap water here in Berlin, because it´s said to be very good. I use it for everything, cooking, the cats, my son and myself, also because I don´t like to carry huge amounts of water bottles into the fourth floor .

Ditto, the water in Berlin is very good. Now I don't want to start any conspiracy theories but I could imagine that the industry wants the people to believe that the water is bad so they can sell bottled water and filters. On the other hand, have you seen the movie "Gasland" ? Never mind, just, I guess there are definetly some areas where you should not drink tap water.
I don't have any evidenc for my theory but after (by coincident) I learned that the dairy industry had uploaded fake videos on youtube which show maggots comming out of pork after coke had been pourred over it, just to prevent peaple from buying pork and eat dairy or beef or I don't know anymor waht instead, I got a bit suspicios. (Actually I had been suspicios befor, but this is just a good ecample)
I really trust the industry to do pretty much everything to sell their products and making people believe that water is bad by speading rumors could well be a method.

My recommendation to you Russel is to try and find out about the water in your area. Maybe you can call a waterworks, they would know.

April 10, 2013 2:14 pm  #9

Agree with you, Myraya. There is a lot of money making about water.
Some companies even sell tap water in bottles, just enhanced with stuff.
(Like the one with the red and white caffeine lemonade logo.)

However, in certain areas with intensive crop cultivation (even places in Germany) the nitrate content is rather high and tap water is not suitable for babies and infants. It can be helpful to have this checked.

Btw, swiss studies show that tap water causes in best case only 1 of 1000 the pollution compared to bottled water, depending on cooling and on transport distance.
So, if your tap water is ok, it is a big relief for nature to use it.

Last edited by Harriet (April 10, 2013 2:18 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 10, 2013 2:26 pm  #10

I drink tap water at home, but I still don't know if it's really okay. I know that it is controlled very strictly, but I'm not sure which way it goes (e.g. if everything is okay with the pipes in our own house as it is quite old).
I always wanted to let it test somewhere, but I didn't manage in 8 years. 
In my job I use 2 liter plastic bottles with slightly flavoured water although I know that it is not really the best solution. But I can't drink so much of carbonated - and tap water is so boooooring after a while.

Edit: Regarding those filters I once saw a report that they can become a dangerous nest of bacteria if not regularly changed, so the water can become even worse. So I don't have one. But our water is hard, so maybe tea and coffee would be better when using a filter.

Last edited by Mattlocked (April 10, 2013 2:34 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 10, 2013 2:43 pm  #11

On the other hand, bottled water may contain unwanted stuff as well. Such as germs in uncarbonated bottled water (Germany in 2012 in 30% of the so called "silent waters"), even if not in a risky amount - for healthy persons. Don't know if it is much different in other countries. (I'd doubt it.)

EDIT:
About the filters, yes, it'is very important to have them changed regularly.
And they don't really make the water healthier, only more suitable for delicate tea.
Which is enough for me to use them 

Coffee doesn't mind that much 

Last edited by Harriet (April 10, 2013 2:48 pm)

April 10, 2013 2:56 pm  #12

Harriet wrote:

On the other hand, bottled water may contain unwanted stuff as well. Such as germs in uncarbonated bottled water (Germany in 2012 in 30% of the so called "silent waters"), even if not in a risky amount - for healthy persons. Don't know if it is much different in other countries. (I'd doubt it.)

I know. Germs in silent water, plastic / chemicals from the plastic bottles - and remaning parts from the cleaning agent in glass / deposit bottles. 

Maybe better not drink at all? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 10, 2013 3:06 pm  #13

The best, probably 

April 10, 2013 3:10 pm  #14

Drinking is boring. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 10, 2013 3:15 pm  #15

Well, as long as there is no proof that bottled water is actually better for me than tap water, I'd take the environmental friendly and cheap option, though 

In many places, tap water is nothing but fine spring water.

Last edited by Harriet (April 10, 2013 3:20 pm)

April 10, 2013 6:06 pm  #16

My understanding (partly as a chemist) is that tap water is actually the safest option, provided you are somewhere with a reasonably safe water supply like Europe or America or Australia.

Two main reasons. First, there are serious potential issues with bacteria breeding in filters and filter systems not being easy to clean out properly. And second, and tbh this is the clincher for me, I don't want my water sitting around in plastic really, that stuff does leach chemicals and some of them aren't too nice. And the little plastic non-resuable bottles tend to be a lot worse than the BPA and PVC free bottles most of us use to carry tap water.

Tap water is free (ish) , eco friendly and blind taste tests never show people notice a difference.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 10, 2013 6:43 pm  #17

Just wanted to quickly reply a 'Definitely!' to everything you guys are saying!  Sheesh, I know....   Thanks.
For some people, it's simply a little thing to do, to try to keep too many impurities out of us (but surely the body can handle some of it?).  For others (such as my coworker mentioned), probably strongly against it simply due to more rural area and/or well water not being as safe.  Or depending on the country you're in, obviously.  But a small town in Ohio?  Frankly, despite knowing our water tends to be awfully 'hard', I didn't think I was supposed to be -too- worried.... not to mention share a similar attitude with some of being more eco-friendly, or not sure how dramatic a difference using a pitcher filter would make (what with the pros and cons with that, too).
Ehn...  so, yeah... now thoughtfully uncertain how much actually care about, and whether to stay indifferent, or tell the relative I also happened to discuss it with yesterday that, no, she's very sweet, but doesn't need to take it as a cue that I want a filter for my birthday next week...       

April 10, 2013 7:04 pm  #18

I am SOOOO glad this came up!  I've been wanting to ask.  Is it 'safe' for a Yank to drink tap water in England (anywhere from London to Dover to Cornwall)?  Sometimes, when you go to a new location, there are different (but perfectly acceptable) bacteria in the water that can cause stomach distress.  If you're MOVING to the location, you just go through the process of acclimating your body to it, but if you're just visiting, it might not be worth the trouble.  I'm under the impression this is true of some places...but not all?  Thoughts/experiences?  I drink a LOT of water (or try to) and I prefer to just fill a portable container from a tap or drinking fountain.

Last edited by MNRebecca (April 10, 2013 7:04 pm)

-------------------
Are you local?

April 10, 2013 7:14 pm  #19

errrr....well our water should be pretty free of bacteria because it is treated to be. I've never heard of a vistor from another country having a problem with it.

(saying this very politely and gently. by "England" I'm assuming you actually mean "Britain". Ok the thing is to use England for Britain REALLY bugs Welsh, Scottish and Irish people. I'm saying that as a Londoner btw, just a friendly note to you to stop you getting flamed somewhere along the line)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 10, 2013 7:32 pm  #20

beekeeper wrote:

errrr....well our water should be pretty free of bacteria because it is treated to be. I've never heard of a vistor from another country having a problem with it.

Thanks!

beekeeper wrote:

(saying this very politely and gently. by "England" I'm assuming you actually mean "Britain".

Actually, I think I'm staying completely in England.  London, Dover, and Cornwall.  That's all England, right?  But should I say Britain anyway?

-------------------
Are you local?

Board footera