BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2013 4:46 am  #1

What's your opinion on singers lipsynching for live performances?

Not all singers do this and they don't do it for all occasions but sometimes, for whatever reason or because the circumstances dictate this to be necessary, you can watch a "live" performance of somone who's actually performing mime rather than singing using pre-recorded vocals.

This isn't a "bad" practice and there are times when its use is needed, but depending on the trends & on "what's in", the use of lipsynching at live events can proliferate - that's when people start getting worried. It's like: really? none of our singers can sing live without a prerecording?

At the moment, there is a good balance between synchers & singers, depending on who the singer is and what occasion he/she is singing for.

What are you guys's opinions on this practice?

Last edited by saturnR (April 6, 2013 4:55 am)

April 6, 2013 5:36 am  #2

Re: What's your opinion on singers lipsynching for live performances?

Personally, if I go to see a concert or go to a festival I expect to see a live performance. Otherwise I may as well listen to a recording. Tickets are extremely expensive and if I were to go and be aware someone was not singing/performing live I would be outraged. There are very many highly talented people out there who never seem to be able to be get a break so I really object to people earning oodles of cash who do not have the ability to even perform in public.

Rant over!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 6, 2013 6:44 am  #3

It depends on the scene.

I come from a live music scene (used to be a local promoter and booker for metal bands in my city), and so in that instance, it's real or nothing.

BUT.

Since getting into k-pop, I've come to understand that there are circumstances where syncing is perfectly acceptable. Usually when a Korean pop group perform, they have lots of dance movements, with songs having full choreography and such. In this case, they might have a backing track playing, while also having the microphone - so they do their best to sing as much as they can, sometimes the singers in the background will fill in the lines while the front of the groups are dancing, and then they switch positions etc, but occasionally when the whole group is involved in particular dance moves (usually during the chorus) - they concentrate more on the dancing than the singing. And it's perfectly acceptable, many groups do this and many fans understand that it's virtually impossible to dance all the moves in the music videos that they love while also singing every single line perfectly. So they try to do a comprimise in order to deliver both as best they possibly can. Some Korean groups don't do this, or will only have an instrumental track in the background with no vocals, but many of them do.

So I think it's okay in that particular instance.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

April 6, 2013 2:28 pm  #4

Yeah I think in that case it would be ok but I'd still rather see/hear everything live.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 6, 2013 7:01 pm  #5

I understand it at something like the Superbowl, where there's a huge production number with lots of "dancing," etc., but why would I want to see/hear it? It's just a lot of hype.

I agree with D: I may as well listen to a recording as to lypsynching.

April 16, 2013 9:07 pm  #6

I think it takes the whole purpose of being a singer. It doesn't matter if you have talents as a vocalist or not because they can auto-tune anyone's voice to sound good in the studio and then they just playback that vocal track at shows and you just move your lips, move around and try to look good. I think it's cheating and I've never been a fan of singing (or playing for that matter) playback. I think the audience deserves to get a different show each time they go see the artist. They pay big bucks to see someone perform and they deserve to hear live performing each time. When artists don't sing or play live, they always get the same audio experience and that sucks. I could never perform playback myself. I'd rather sing sick with my voice gone than lipsync. Doing things playback takes out all the fun and uniqueness of shows and performances. It's less intimate. Human voice is a great tool and if you edit and mix it up with auto-tune and effects and stuff and then replay that on shows, the human voice is far from authentic from what you get to hear. This is just my opinion.

Last edited by Dramagod (April 16, 2013 9:10 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

March 27, 2014 11:31 pm  #7

I think miming or lip syncing once in a while (ie sore throat but not wanting to let fans down) is ok.

But to do it all the time is just plain rude and insulting to fans 

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

Board footera