BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2012 9:34 am  #1

Words of wisdom from a Tweet

Just saw this, it was retweeted by Ian Hallard, originally from David Suchet, here's the small conversation just to put it into perspective.

David_Suchet  @David_Suchet 
Good opening night at Milton Keynes. Love audience. Good responses to the play. This is v serious theatre only done rarely. Come and see us

Linda Nathaniel   @panache36   
@David_Suchet Great Expectations v good reviews here in Sydney. Is acting all about reacting?

David_Suchet   @David_Suchet
@panache36 A great deal of acting is reacting TRUTHFULLY as the character within the given circumstances laid down by the playwight
Retweeted by Ian Hallard

I really like that description.
I wonder if that's original or inspired by something else?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 14, 2012 9:42 am  #2

Re: Words of wisdom from a Tweet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-features/7720378/David-Suchet-interview-The-clue-to-Poirots-long-life.html

“My earliest definition of acting was that you should react as truthfully as possible within the circumstances laid down by the playwright – with the help of the director. That’s it: I want to 'get’ the character. One of the highlights of my career was when Tom Sharpe rang me up after Blott on the Landscape was broadcast and said, 'I’m not going to talk to you for long, but I’ve seen what I’ve written – thank you’ and then he put the phone down. I have carried that with me for years.â€

ahhhh

Still, I wonder if it has earlier origins?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 14, 2012 9:46 am  #3

Ah ha!!

Konstantin Stanislavski
(1863 - 1938)
Like all pioneering thinkers however, Stanislavski stood on the shoulders of giants. Much of the thought and philosophy Stanislavsky applied to the theatre derives from his predecessors. Pushkin, Russia's original literary hero and the father of the native realist tradition, wrote that the goal of the artist is to supply truthful feelings under given circumstances, which Stanislavski adopted as his lifelong artistic motto.

http://www.kryingsky.com/Stan/Biography/bot.html

Last edited by kazza474 (March 14, 2012 9:52 am)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 14, 2012 3:37 pm  #4

Yes...we studied Stanislavski at school, I took Drama A-level. Very interesting stuff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 14, 2012 9:13 pm  #5

Ah! The Actor's Studio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera