BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2014 7:35 am  #121

Re: Parade's End - film and novel

We have many non-Brits here who may not understand all the cultural and historical allusions. And the books are famously challenging to read, after all Ford was a friend of James Joyce and used some of his writing techniques. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 14, 2014 11:45 am  #122

Books?  Is it one novel or a series?  How many books are there?

I always prefer to read the books first too.  I read and loved Atonement when it first came out.  But that's one of the reasons I didn't go see the movie at the theater.  The book just devestated me and I was scared the film would be worse!

.........................and, back to topic!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 14, 2014 11:52 am  #123

Four books but the last one has not been included in the film. I recommend the e-book if you have a reader. There are quite a lot of obsolete words and military terms which I found in the dictionary. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 14, 2014 12:21 pm  #124

*taking notes*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 14, 2014 8:36 pm  #125

I read the book after having seen the film, first in e-book format, but then I just had to buy a paper copy, because it is easier to go back to my favourite bits. I loved it, especially the first volume, which is an absolute masterpiece. The second and the third volumes are also good, but the fourth one is far worse and it was a right decision to leave it out for the adaptation, IMO.
In any case, knowing that B. fell for the book and for his character, to read the books and then go back to the film is an utter delight. And he does love it and brings it up all the time.

March 23, 2014 10:37 pm  #126

I just watched the first episode - and decided I´ll have to read the books first. I can´t add subtitles and didn´t catch much of the dialogue.. wow, and I thought my English wasn´t so bad, being able to follow Sherlock´s deductions and all. But after reading this thread completely I´m sure it´s worth the effort.. 

March 23, 2014 10:59 pm  #127

Yeah they seem to mumble at lot, and Benedict is wearing things in his mouth to make him look fatter which unfortunately I think was a bad call. He already has to work around his lisp, working around those just made half his lines incomprehensible

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 24, 2014 6:33 am  #128

Interesting, my parents never complained abiout this series.
They often struggle with poor innunciation.
There are just a few times in Sherlock i really do not hear what Benedict says(even if I know the line!)
The only time I've really noticed his lisp, is in HOUND, where I'm always certain he says 'M' instead of 'N'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera