BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2013 5:44 pm  #1

Truck is leaving... TWICE! Hopefully the missing piece for a theory

Check the timestamps and the fact that the truck is seen leaving a scene twice, before and after John regains his senses.

I just noticed that.
Top two pictures showing truck leaving once,
Bottom two about 10 sec later showing it leaving from a standstill again.

Either that's an editorial mistake (obviusly not), or we've just been given a definite proof that the truck is involved (I'm guessing leaving, than coming back to take Moriarty's body.). I'm guessing a switch with a live Sherlock.... I think that location inconsistency theories can find this helpful.

I think that might help explain a few theories, hoping to hear your thoughts 

Last edited by OmerSt (March 12, 2013 5:51 pm)

March 12, 2013 6:08 pm  #2

Re: Truck is leaving... TWICE! Hopefully the missing piece for a theory

Just eleborating... I think John watched a NOT SHERLOCK fake of some kind (hence Sherlock saying he's a fake and that it's all a magic trick) falling down. Molly is probably involved. And either homeless network/Mycroft for logistics. It's pretty interchangable. Still don't know if Sherlock jumped or not and where to.

March 12, 2013 6:10 pm  #3

You forced me to rewatch this scene. Sobbing now. Bless you. 

No offense! Didn't mean to scare you. 

As far as I can see (through my wet eyes) you're right. It seems as the truck drove backwards at a time. I'm not sure about this but it's an interesting view. So sorry I can't tell you more but I'm not able to think logically at the moment. 

PS: You're new, right? Why not introduce yourself? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 12, 2013 6:56 pm  #4

Name is Omer, I'm a 23 year old student from Israel...
Loved the BBC adaptation.
Noticed the inconsistency in a rewatch today... already spent time after the first time I watched trying to solve the case. Today I saw this. Figured it's worth sharing.

March 12, 2013 7:00 pm  #5

Welcome! We haven't got many people from Israel here 

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

March 12, 2013 7:45 pm  #6

Hi, Omer! Nice to have you with us.
As to the truck: It may be involved but to me it's more like a red herring. After all, the truck doesn't behave "normal" as it drives away the moment someone has landed on the pavement after having jumped off the roof. This would amount to failing to help a person in danger and, of course, be criminal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 13, 2013 7:35 am  #7

Don't know.  It could just be an edit error as the scene is filmed from two different locations and almost certainly not simultaneously.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 27, 2013 4:17 pm  #8

Ha, I really really hope they avoided edit errors! I'm kind of assuming that they knew that this scene would be watched obsessively by fanboys and fangirls and hopefully didn't put in stuff like jumping trucks by accident I am assuming its very carefully crafted and I'll be really disapointed if it turns out he has unmentioned superpowers or something deus ex machina. I've noticed that he falls at the wrong speed-far too slow, as though he had some way of introducing air resistance/drag-and while I'm guessing that's dramatic license, I'm also aware that it might not be, that there IS something in this scene that we're probably missing.

So anyway, very interesting. And like another poster has said, the truck isn't normal. Trucks don't drive off to continue with their rounds when someone has committed suicide next to them. The drivers get out and offer to help. The truck, with its squishy contents, does have to be involved. I just don't see how he could have landed on it personally.

Last edited by beekeeper (March 27, 2013 4:19 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

April 4, 2013 7:40 am  #9

I think the question we should be asking is who is driving the truck? Is it Mycroft? Or a new character that will be introduced in the third series? 

April 4, 2013 5:31 pm  #10

looking-glass-girl wrote:

I think the question we should be asking is who is driving the truck? Is it Mycroft? Or a new character that will be introduced in the third series? 

Well, of course it wouldn't be Mycroft himself... but it's possible that he had to do something with the truck.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 4, 2013 7:56 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

Don't know. It could just be an edit error as the scene is filmed from two different locations and almost certainly not simultaneously.

Can you tell me, please, how we know the street scenes are filmed at different location?  Also, do we know, as the roof scenes are also filmed at different locations, if we are to consider it all as one location and therefore ignore the differences in terms of clues?

Because we also see Sherlock fall from two different locations.  If it was just a necessity of production, then it means nothing.  Otherwise, we have two "Sherlocks" falling within Shelrockian reality.

There are so many inconsistencies one has to attribute to errors, I don't seehow one can develop a coherent theory of the fall. Note:

April 4, 2013 9:08 pm  #12

Clarifying. Filming is done from two different points of view. You can see this by the shots which appear on screen.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 4, 2013 9:59 pm  #13

I saw this a while ago and assumed that it was just a continuity error. What purpose would it serve for the truck to reverse and 'take off' again?

I always assumed that the truck was either to block the view of the landing site more than being the landing site itself or a red herring. My husband is convinced that Sherlock jumped into the truck then roled out again though. You can imagine the debates in our house over this!

================================================================

April 5, 2013 12:44 am  #14

Davina wrote:

Clarifying. Filming is done from two different points of view. You can see this by the shots which appear on screen.

Actually, there are three seperately filmed sequences of Sherlock falling. 

This one is John's POV of Sherlock on the roof where he standing above the LOG in "Pathological Department"  just before he falls forward.   In every shot of him on the roof from John's POV, Sherlock is always in the same place.

We see him fall forward into space and then we see this, which is not the same place, as he is way past the LOG letters.  If you look at the frame before, it's not even the same roof. 

We follow him down three floors and then cut back to this shot below, which puts him back at the top:

While he would have been in the same position as the first shot, in front of the LOG, the first and second shots are in overcast.  You can actually see raindrops in some of the falling shots from the first sequence.  We all got teary at the rain starting with perfect timing just as he jumped.

Blue sky here means a different time, at least, and a different day, possibly.

I really don't care what they did, I do want to know what Moffat said about this. I'm all good with him showing the fall three times for dramatic effect, as we always go back to the top.  I just want to know if he has said, himself, so it can be considered Canonical, that all the shots are intended to be of the same person only falling once. Do you know if he ever said  that? 

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (April 5, 2013 12:45 am)

Board footera