BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2013 12:33 pm  #1

Letters to Sherlock Holmes

I love weird stuff so I had to get this book. Most of my reading is ebooks nowadays but once in a while something I really want to read is paper only...

This one is a selection of some of the letters sent to Sherlock by the public. For years, a bank had the official Baker Street address and employed a secretary to read and answer the letters (now the bank moved and  the letters are going to the museum). It's a bit like writing to Santa Claus. I'd have loved to have been able to do that and get a reply!

Strangely, the editor of the book, a prominent Sherlockian,  died a mysterious death in 2004. He had been strongly opposing the auctioning off of important ACD papers at Christie's, and had told friends he was followed by an American and was fearing for his life. Shortly after, he was found garroted by a shoelace tightened with a wooden spoon. Some said it was a suicide staged as a murder. Too bad Sherlock was not there so solve the case!

March 9, 2013 12:38 pm  #2

Re: Letters to Sherlock Holmes

This is bizarre. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 9, 2013 12:45 pm  #3

Re: Letters to Sherlock Holmes

This story alone, i.e. the one involving Richard Lancelyn Green, would make a good book itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera