BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2013 10:44 pm  #1

An Analysis of Captain John Watson's (fictitious) Military Service

I thought due to my enlisted status that I might be able to contribute to this subject. As I am US, not UK, deductions may not cross over completely.

An Analysis of Captain John Watson: Healer/Killer in His Majesty’s Service

When discussing the military service of BBC's John Watson, we will find ourselves sometimes unable to stick with just BBC source material, because the show's Show don't Tell nature leave us limited in concrete facts about his time abroad.

Here is what we know about John Watson's military service taken at his word, with himself as a primary source:

>He attained the rank of Captain
>He served with the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers
>He carries a military ID
>He stands at parade rest
>He properly salutes
>He is a crack shot
>He fires an (illegal) British Army L9A1 Browning unmodified.
>He was deployed to Afghanistan
>He was shot in the shoulder
>He was medically discharged

Here are some things we can infer from context of the BBC series:

>He has PTSD
>Due to age and time line of education and military promotion, he most likely joined the Army after finishing his medical training, which rules out commissioning paths that allow joint university-military schooling
>He was a surgeon

Here are some things we can infer from RAMC traditions and Army Customs and Courtesies

>He was not allowed to use his weapon in anything other than self-defense.
>He saluted with his hand rather than his Sword, when in his Service Uniform
>He was referred to as Sir, or CPT Watson, not Dr.
>As an officer, he carried both a rifle and a pistol

Here are just a few of the things that we don't know about John's service

>Which commissioning path he chose. We can make one of several guesses however.
-He could have enlisted as a regular soldier, served time as a medic, and then petitioned his Commanding Officer for the right to go before an Army Officer Selection Board, and then once being selected, gone through training modules and leadership courses until his commissioning.
-He could have enlisted as a regular officer, petitioning his Army Careers Adviser to send him before an Army Officer Selection Board, and then gone through training modules and leadership courses until his commissioning
-He could have joined as a Territorial regular soldier or officer, and done the above while serving in a part-time capacity while working as a Doctor or finishing his civilian medical training, completing modules in short bursts and on the weekends, or
-MOST LIKELY he could have direct commissioned as a Professionally Qualified Officer by submitting his CV to the Army Careers Information Office, attending a two day ASOB Briefing, a 2.5 day ASOB Board, and gone on to attend a Professionally Qualified Officer's Commissioning Course at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst for ten weeks.
-IF KEEPING WITH ACD CANON that he was an Assistant Surgeon, he commissioned as a Warrant Officer, though if he had, he would not be a CPT, but a WO, addressed as Sir or Chief
>How long he served, and at which FOB. ACD indicates that he didn't serve very long before being injured.
>Whether he served in joint service operations, though common sense points to yes
>Whether he was attached to a unit, or served under a Medical Regiment. Both are possible. If he did serve with a Medical Regiment, the most likely is 2 Medical Regiment, as it served in the Helmand Province with attachments to Kandahar and Kabul during a time that aligns with Watson's timeline
>At what level his medical expertise was utilized, though Surgeon or Assistant Surgeon seems likely
>What kind of discharge he was given, though Honorable is likely
>Under what circumstances he was shot, and YMMV on this
>Whether he engaged and/or killed the enemy, or was just very good at firing a weapon
>If he spent his time FOB side until being medivac'd out to the casualties, or if he went on patrols with squad attachments, or both or neither.
>How bad his PTSD is, and under what circumstances he acquired it.

What the BBC series got correct about his service:

>Where he served. Fridge horror and brilliance all in one, that ACD Canon had him serving in Afghanistan, and with a modern update, he is able to again, because we're still freaking there! Seriously, even though we are supposed to be withdrawing, my unit, my friends' units, and Watson's supposed Regiment are all preparing for 2014 deployments (yay us!)
>The uniforms, insofar as I can tell
>HoB depicted the process of entering a restricted military base as consistent with installation access SOPs
>The salute. An improperly depicted salute drives a service member crazy.
>TAMP-type mental heath services for soldiers involuntarily separated from the service. May not have been mandatory, but certainly would have been offered.

What the BBC series got wrong about his service.

>The Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers. He could not have served with this Regiment because it was dismantled in 1968. In the US Army, once a decorated unit is dismantled, it can sometimes evolve into a unit with a different name, but still claim the customs and victories of the parent unit. This may be the case with Watson's unit. Most likely it's a nod to ACD Canon, which also lends credibility to the theory that Watson was attached to the unit, because the FNF was an infantry unit, not a medical unit. An attachment like this would have put Watson down range and in danger much more often than being assigned only to a medical unit.
>Watson's weapon. While a Glock looks like a Browning, and is similar in parts, they are not the same weapon and anyone with a knowledge of weaponry can spot this almost immediately.
>Watson's military ID looks more like an American CAC card (it's vertical!) than a British Army Mod 90 (a horizontal card!)
>His level of poverty. Unless this Watson also had a gambling problem, he would have come home with a fat bank account. Tax free combat and hazard pay, allowances and other bonuses means an Army Officer comes home with a good chunk of money.
>Army Pension. Watson wouldn't get an Army Pension until reaching retirement age. Instead, he'd be getting disability.

I will add more as I think of more. You are welcome to add Wild Mass Guessing, ask questions that I will try to answer, offer corrections or additional deductions, or simply spam the thread with pics.

Last edited by just_tea_thanks (March 4, 2013 10:46 pm)

You forget, I was a soldier. I killed people! You were a doctor. I had bad days!

March 4, 2013 11:55 pm  #2

Re: An Analysis of Captain John Watson's (fictitious) Military Service

I seem to remember this has been analysed in great detail before; still, indeed, it is interesting..

March 5, 2013 12:02 am  #3

March 5, 2013 1:30 am  #4

Yes, but it's interesting to note that this is an analysis of his medical career from the perspective of someone in the medical profession, and my analysis is of his military career from the perspective of someone in the military. Yes, she does go into some depth about one particular commissioning path he could have taken, but her analysis of his military service is based upon a faulty assumption that he took a university-military dual program, which is the most unlikely commissioning route. It's much more likely that he direct commissioned, and resolves many of the timeline issues she takes affront to.
It looks as though she corrects herself several times in Part two, cosigning some of the theories I have laid out here. 

You forget, I was a soldier. I killed people! You were a doctor. I had bad days!

March 5, 2013 1:46 am  #5

It's also worth noting that abundantlyqueer took great pains to research a unit that John could slot into that fits into ACD canon. Yes, it's fiction, and yes, in her fic she had him enlisting as a private and making rank that way (which has its own errors in that) but her research on his unit has its roots in history and could feasibly be one that he could attach to. And she made him a Green Beret to boot. 

"ACD's Watson was attached to the 66th Berkshire Foot, which (after a tortuous lineage of amalgamations) ended up in The Rifles regiment. However, in TGG John wears the regimental tie of 1st The Queens Dragoon Guards. There is a point of intersection between the two regiments: in 2009, the Guards’ mission in Afghanistan included supplying reconnaissance and other support to 3 Commando Brigade, which also draws support staff from The Rifles. If John initially served with the Guards and later transferred to 3 Brigade, that would explain the regimental tie and place him equidistant between the ACD and Moffit-Gatiss canons. Yes, I did just construct an academic argument for making John a Green Beret; you're welcome."

From the wiki for the 66th Berkshire Foot page:

"The regiment was raised by the redesignation of the 2nd Battalion, 19th Regiment of Foot in April 1758, ranked as the 66th Regiment of Foot. In 1782 they took a county title as the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot. In fiction Dr. John Watson, narrator of the Sherlock Holmes stories, was wounded while attached to the regiment at the Battle of Maiwand. He was on attachment from his own regiment, the 5th Northumberland Fusiliers."

Last edited by just_tea_thanks (March 5, 2013 1:47 am)

March 5, 2013 10:56 am  #6

Great military analysis there! I guess the attachment to a disbanded regiment was just to keep with canon. I had wondered about the tie, so thanks for clearing that one up.

I agree about the salutes, when they are incorrect it drives ex-military folk crazy. My big bug-bear is when they don't get Royal Naval salute correct.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 5, 2013 3:19 pm  #7

Davina wrote:

Great military analysis there! I guess the attachment to a disbanded regiment was just to keep with canon. I had wondered about the tie, so thanks for clearing that one up.

I agree about the salutes, when they are incorrect it drives ex-military folk crazy. My big bug-bear is when they don't get Royal Naval salute correct.

When I started at my last new job, my civilian coworkers would salute me when I asked them to do something. I finally sat them all down one morning before the open of business day and taught them the proper way. If they were going to insist on saluting in the wrong place at the wrong time, they might as well learn the correct way! LOL

March 6, 2013 5:02 am  #8

just_tea_thanks wrote:

When I started at my last new job, my civilian coworkers would salute me when I asked them to do something. I finally sat them all down one morning before the open of business day and taught them the proper way. If they were going to insist on saluting in the wrong place at the wrong time, they might as well learn the correct way! 

I thought salutes are only appropriate towards an uniform/person in uniform?

March 7, 2013 1:50 am  #9

The Doctor wrote:

just_tea_thanks wrote:

When I started at my last new job, my civilian coworkers would salute me when I asked them to do something. I finally sat them all down one morning before the open of business day and taught them the proper way. If they were going to insist on saluting in the wrong place at the wrong time, they might as well learn the correct way! 

I thought salutes are only appropriate towards an uniform/person in uniform?

Correct. Technically they are, and only outside and only if both individuals are in uniform. However, civilians for the most part don't know that and don't care. That was why I said I insisted on teaching them the proper way to salute, if they were going to do it at the wrong place at the wrong time. (See above). 

On a note, soldiers will jokingly salute each other out of uniform to make a point. One of my OC buddies and I used to intentionally salute with the wrong hand and mangle the greeting of the day when we were feeling particularly stressed out by training. And some soldiers will salute a plain-clothes officer simply to offer respect, which is why John got a salute from the corporal in HoB

September 23, 2014 4:32 pm  #10

Can anyone tell me (for a fanfic) what type of discharge John would have been given? Medical discharge? General discharge (which is U.S.)?

Also, what slang phrase would adequate describe it? Something along the lines of 'mustered out with a XX discharge'? What would one military person say to another?

Thanks for the help!

December 15, 2015 3:59 am  #11

Snootiegirl99 wrote:

Can anyone tell me (for a fanfic) what type of discharge John would have been given? Medical discharge? General discharge (which is U.S.)?

Also, what slang phrase would adequate describe it? Something along the lines of 'mustered out with a XX discharge'? What would one military person say to another?

Thanks for the help!

I'm thinking that since he was invalided out, it was most likely a medical discharge.  Anyone here with more knowledge who could answer that?

Board footera