BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2013 11:17 pm  #1

The Last Enemy

I looked for a thread for this mini-series and could not find one so I figured I would start one.

This is a five episode movie essentially. It is filled with intrigue, action, conflicting emotions, and sex. Benedict plays the lead role of a famous mathematician who returns from China to attend his brother's funeral only to get drawn into a political game of cat and mouse with some very dangerous people and all of it tied to his brother's death.

I enjoyed the series and thought that BC did an admirable job with the role he played. I have to admit that seeing him shirtless a couple of times was not hard on the eyes. I wasn't crazy about the love scenes, but that has more to do with me than the scenes themselves. I have always abhorred love scenes wanting to get back to the action. Yeah I basically like "guy" films. 

The premise of the story is a bit scary because it is not so unbelievable. It honestly is not much different than an adaptation of George Orwell's 1984. Big brother is watching in the form of a computer database called T.I.A. (Total Information Awareness) all accessed by tracking chips and national identification cards.

My question to my British friends is this. At the beginning of each episode a narrator would come on and talk about what the episode would be about and he spoke of Orwell's work as being a book and only fiction but then he mentioned that National Identification Cards were due to be passed into law in the UK within a years time. The series came out in 2008, so I am assuming that the narrator was saying that for effect. I find it hard to believe that any UK citizens are required to carry identification cards. How would that work with out of towners and tourists? So yeah the question is - not true right?

It is a good series and has a lot of excellent talent in the cast of characters. I recognized many of the actors, although I am still not great at putting names to faces yet. It is worth a look and I think that most will find it worthwhile and entertaining.

So maybe SusiGo is wondering why I have not given BC the same glowing review as the other works I have seen him do recently.
(I like that you seem to be following my reviews )

The reason I am not gushing over this role is because he was quite good in it, but not nearly as much as in the other things I have seen him do. I didn't really buy him as the genius mathematician. He started out the series as a compulsive germaphobe, but by the middle of it he didn't even seem bothered by contact with potential pathogens or homeless and dirty people. My daughter truly is a germaphobe and suffers some OCD behaviors and I can tell you that she would not be able to just turn it off like that no matter how crazy things got around her.

The only time we see the character showing his mathematical genius was during a presentation at a large corp. who was considering funding his work for three years. I didn't buy his dialogue about the math, I did however completely buy his indignation when he found out what the price was for this grant. The company wanted him to back the T.I.A. program sight unseen. He refused and they considered him an arrogant ass. This part of his performance was completely genuine. 

I think that with some aspects of the role being perfect and others being disingenuous - that is what gave me the overall impression that it wasn't his best work. Again do not misunderstand me. It is still a very good role, and an entertaining series. There are aspects of it that are very thought provoking, it just wasn't stunning.

Last edited by AliceI (February 27, 2013 11:02 am)

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

February 27, 2013 7:21 am  #2

Re: The Last Enemy

The plans for National ID cards were quite far advanced here when they were abandoned. So in this case it was true.

I will try and watch this series but, if as you say, his OCD behaviours disappeared I too would find that a weakness in the role portrayal - or at least certainly in the scriptwriting/ direction. You would think that an actor would point out something like that...perhaps Benedict did? If anything, when times got more stressful you might well expect to see an increase in such behaviours, not a decrease or disappearance of them.

Directors have a powerful influence on  the quality of work actors produce. As a favourite actor of mine once said 'a bad director can get a poor performance from a talented actor whereas a good director can get a brilliant performance from a mediocre actor.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 27, 2013 8:31 am  #3

No problem at all, Alice. I like the series but it didn't fascinate me as much as most of his other performances. This may be in part due to the script and the story itself which for me was quite difficult to follow. I had no subtitles, not even English ones, and I found it extremely hard to understand Robert Carlyle's Scottish accent. I don't know how it was for you as an American. 

And it's true, his character seems a bit inconsistent. He starts as a sort of lonely genius who separated himself from his friends and family to concentrate on his work. And then he's drawn into this world of secret politics, murder and intrigue which seems to change his personality. It is an interesting idea to confront someone like him with this Orwellian threat but here the script seems to show some weaknesses. 

There are some excellent scenes and I like the way he seems to awaken to world around him but in my opinion the story is too overloaded.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 27, 2013 11:01 am  #4

Nextflix for us had subtitles that were quite distracting mainly because they were in some other language. I've no idea what language though.

I am thinking that the writing must be a big part of the disconnect. I used to love the TV show Numb3rs. That was also about a mathematical genius. Now when Charlie (from Numb3rs) talked about mathematical concepts it was incredibly genuine. It made me believe that the actor, who apparently can't add 2+2, sound and look absolutely credible. Where as the scene with higher mathematics in this series fell flat. That is in the writing.

Once again the bit that I bought about that particular scene in this show was Lesard's reaction to one of the execs trying to help explain his mathematical theory to the other exec by comparing ti to music. Stephan Lesard objected to that defense of his theory because it wasn't at all like music. When the defending exec tried to explain to Lessard why he was using that anaology, Lesard stubbornly insisted that it isn't like music. Now that bit was quite genuine.

The fact that the national identification cards nearly happened in the UK is a bit frightening. I wonder if mini-series like this one had anything to do with its failure.

Last edited by AliceI (February 27, 2013 11:04 am)

"I may be on the side of the angels,
but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

March 31, 2013 10:36 pm  #5

Just finished TLE and found the story really fascinating - and frightening.
Had problems to understand everything, too. In fact, most of it I probably did NOT understand.
But I got the main story. And was also wondering about the disappearing OCD behaviours. (So I didn't even understand why he showed them at the beginning.)

I think I will download the subtitles and watch it all over again some day.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 5, 2015 12:19 am  #6

Resurrecting an old thread because I just finished watching this on DVD (more of my Sherlock Xmas).

I thought it was a very interesting series that dealt with some surprisingly topical subjects (even though it was made a few years back in 2007-8).  It wasn't as good by any means as Parade's End or To The Ends of the Earth but still it held my interest throughout. 

I do think the story was a bit too convoluted for its own good and I agree some of the character behaviour of Stephen Ezard became forgotten near the end.  But I don't really have a big problem with that (it is a weakness in a story-telling sense but it didn't ruin my overall interest in what was happening plot-wise to the characters and it didn't weaken my interest in Stephen). 

I thought Cumberbatch did a great job.  I wish they had kept the one romantic scene they cut with Stephen and Yasim after they had sex and Stephen is blowing bubbles and explaining the mathematical beauty in a bubble to her.  I saw it in the deleted scenes on the DVD and thought it really explained a lot about the mind of Stephen.  And besides BC did an incredible job in that scene. 

I was greatly saddened by the ending but felt that it couldn't end any other way really so I was kind of glad they stuck to what was right for the story - anything else other than a dystopic ending would have felt too "merry sunshine" and that wouldn't have been right at all.  Poor Stephen.  I was left with this distinct impression that he might even commit suicide.  I just couldn't see him living in such a controlled world barren of everything he had discovered that mattered to him. 

Has anyone else seen the DVD outtakes?  They are hilarious and Cumberbatch is so funny in some of them!! 

The spider on his face in one scene really cracked me (and him) up.  He almost was able to continue but then broke into laughter after he swept it away from one of his now famous cheek bones.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 7, 2015 8:07 am  #7

The thpider..

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 7, 2015 1:06 pm  #8

Lucky "thpider"!

Until it got swept away, that is.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

January 8, 2015 8:36 am  #9

You mean thwept away. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 8, 2015 2:01 pm  #10

Hah!   That's a good one!

Thwept away indeed.

Still, lucky, lucky, little spider to be so close to those eyes and those cheekbones.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera