BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2013 8:54 am  #1

The "Client" [very mild spoiler (short story)]

Who is the "Client"?

Now, I know that they describe the Client as a "young female," and Irene confirms this by telling Sherlock that she might want to see "her again."

So, the very simple answer is that the Client is merely young female royalty whose identity is not relevant or otherwise interesting for such intents or purposes with respect to Sherlock (the TV show).

But that's just so boring 

***SHORT STORY SPOILER BELOW***

Here are my reasons why I believe we actually see the Client in the episode (and also why I love the idea):

1.  Sherlock meets the Client face-to-face in the source material/short story

I can't be the only one who read the A Scandal in Bohemia (the story on which A Scandal in Belgravia is based) AND assumed that the Client's Representative (who walks in saying "...illustrious") was actually the Client when watching the episode. 

Am I?

In the short story, during the initial consultation, the meeting was conducted between Holmes/Watson and some purported representative of the Client (whom I remember to be some sort of duke or baron or something.  Forgive me, it's been a while since I've read it). 

The Representative has covered his face with I believe a handkerchief, masking his identity.  However, Holmes quickly deduces (and reveals to the parties) that the representative is actually the Client himself, rather than just mere proxy for the duke, at which point the duke removes his mask.

So, if Sherlock (the TV show) followed suit, they would have had Sherlock not only actually meeting the Client face-to-face, but exposing the Client's wasted attempt to disguise himself as a mere representative of the Client.  Here, the "mask" would be the "the Client's a young female" mis-direct.

I know that Moffat/Gatiss aren't going to adapt and borrow everything, but this particular plot point would've been easily filmable, and more importantly, it would've been charming and hilarious, and totally within the TV show's tone.  Which brings us to the next point....

2.  It would have been a hilarious scene, in line with the TV series' wit and humor

Mycroft and the Client's Representative try to throw Sherlock and John off the scent by saying it's a "young female," even though it's the complete opposite (an old man). 

It would have been hilarious to see Cumberbatch's Sherlock deduce that the two men are not only lying, but that the Client is actually one of them.  (And it'd be even funnier than in the story, since the short story didn't paint Irene as a dominatrix, nor did the story try to describe the Client as a young female)

Sherlock's quick deduction would show the Client that he is the real deal, but it would also simultaneously embarrass the Client since he'd be revealed to be the one fooling around with S&M Irene. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think it would have been a funny, if charming, scene to watch, and definitely within the range of Cumberbatch's Sherlock. 

3. WHO. IS. MY. CLIENT?!

There's a rhyme and/or reason to everything and anything that the Sherlock team writes, whether as a clue or as a red herring. 

I think Sherlock's clear (and impatient) display of interest into the identity of the Client demonstrates that the identity of the Client is someone we, the audience, should be interested in.  I don't think it'd be a throwaway scene or red herring -- the "who is my client" sequence was meant to direct us into deducing who the Client really is.

Otherwise, it'd be a slightly awful tasting red herring, not to mention a waste of time. 

4.  The Representative lights up cigs for the Client

We know that the Representative is some sort of subordinate who lights the cigarettes for the Client, as deduced by Sherlock.

Unless the Rep was trying to elaborately trick Sherlock into believing that he was some sort of subservient cigarette lighter to the Client, despite actually being the Client (which would be a Moriarty-level of dedication) -- then we can safely assume that the Representative is NOT the Client....which means that....

5....Mycroft would be the Client.

We know that Mycroft "practically is the British government," (echoed from the books), so while he may not be royalty, he's certainly very, very high up on the power ladder, where other "Clients" would be, i.e., the type who gets his cigs lit by someone else most of the time. 

It'd be quite reasonable to assume that Mycroft is the one whose cigarettes are lit by the Representative, proving him to be the Client. 

Most importantly, we see Mycroft smoking in the end of the episode!

It's a borderline Chekov's Gun -- why show Mycroft smoking at all? 

No where else in the entire series do we see Mycroft smoking, or even mention smoking as his own habit.  Yet, he smokes in this episode?   Not only have Mycroft smoke at the end of the episode, they have John point out that Mycroft is smoking -- doubly confirming him as one who smokes.

IN SUM (I know, way too long)

In the short story, Holmes' deduction that he was actually speaking to the Client -- and NOT the Client's rep -- was one of my favorite moments in the story, and I think it was, or should have been, portrayed in A Scandal in Belgravia.  I truly believe that the writing team did do as much.

We know that Mycroft and Sherlock (in the TV series) have "too much history" for Mycroft to ask Sherlock for help on his own matters.  So, instead, Mycroft has that Representative ask Sherlock and John for help.

We're clearly directed to focus on the facts that:
1) Sherlock really, really wants to ID the Client
2) the Client's Representative lights up the Client's cigarettes
3) the Client's Representative does not smoke at all
4) Mycroft is seen smoking later in the episode, but nowhere else in the entire show
5) John points out the fact that Mycroft is smoking

When you take these actual plot points, you add in the writing team's affinity for adding in "easter eggs" and/or homages to the source material, and you top it off with the hilariousness of it all (Mycroft is the Client whom Irene Adler photo'd) -- I think you have a winner of a plot thread.

P.S. -- Want some food for thought that might blow your mind?

What if Mycroft was not only the Client, but the M.o.D. man whose e-mail was photo'd by Irene while he was "tied up"?  If we can get as far as accepting that Mycroft was/is a Client of Irene, certainly we can accept the likelihood that Mycroft had the Jumbo Jet e-mail. 

Also, at one point in the episode, Mycroft did mention, "our hands our tied!"....

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which one of the following statements does not belong with the rest?  Deduce away!

Luke, I am your father. -  Do you feel lucky, punk? -  Elementary, my dear Watson. - I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto. - Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

February 26, 2013 2:12 pm  #2

Re: The "Client" [very mild spoiler (short story)]

Really, your analysis are very interesting and well-thought-out, but there's a reason which makes me pretty sure that we're really dealing with a young, female client.
The voice in the opening scene belongs definitely to a woman, I'm sure of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 26, 2013 3:14 pm  #3

Brilliant analysis! Really, I love how you put all that together! 
But still... while it really is an amusing idea (Irene calling Mycroft a 'sweet little posh thing'), I just don't think it would fit Mycroft's character (Irene saying 'I might want to see her again would suggest that Mycroft is doing some intersting things in his free time... ), especially not your idea of him being the MOD man. He would never be so stupid to let Irene have access to such important and privat information.
And would he really set up this whole thing in the palace? He surely loves to be dramatic but wouldn't that be a bit over the top?

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

February 27, 2013 12:07 pm  #4

BlinkULDHC wrote:

We know that Mycroft "practically is the British government," (echoed from the books), so while he may not be royalty, he's certainly very, very high up on the power ladder, where other "Clients" would be, i.e., the type who gets his cigs lit by someone else most of the time. 

It'd be quite reasonable to assume that Mycroft is the one whose cigarettes are lit by the Representative, proving him to be the Client.  

However, the representative says, 'We have kept a lot of people successfully in the dark about this little fact, Mr. Holmes.'  No one would care if it was revealed that Mycroft smokes - the ordinary person doesn't even know he exists.  It wouldn't be front page news in The Sun.  I'm fairly sure the implication is that HRM herself is the client, acting on behalf of a younger member of the royal family who has been, erm, indiscreet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: OK...That was ridiculous. That was the most ridiculous thing...I've ever done.
Sherlock: And you invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't *just* me.

February 27, 2013 12:33 pm  #5

Mycroft smokes in the end, because he is caring, concerned about Sherlock again. What happens if he gets aware of the death of Irene Adler?
And, also on the formal stage: It means, that that incredible "woman" made both brothers smoking, I think this is a funny punchline .

February 27, 2013 12:51 pm  #6

When I saw this episode, I also assumed Sherlock's client was the queen, as soon as the 3 little dogs were mentioned, and that Irene's client was a young female member of the royal family. The allusion to smoking I took as a joke to make us imagine the queen smoking on the sly in the nooks and crannies of Buckingham Palace. To me that was quite funny and is one of the humorous elements which make this my favorite episode.

March 5, 2013 8:37 pm  #7

Doesn't it pretty much HAVE to be Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara, or Kate? Please correct/redirect me if I'm wrong. Also, feel free to comment EXTENSIVELY on how the British audience might have been expected to react to such an insinuation. Seems a little bold ('pushing the envelope') to me.

Last edited by MNRebecca (March 5, 2013 8:38 pm)

-------------------
Are you local?

March 5, 2013 10:50 pm  #8

I always (ok, since I first watched the episode about two months ago ) assumed that "the client" is obviously the Queen, worried about royal family's good name. Unfortunately it is so obvious that it makes Sherlock's despondent behaviour "who is my client" quite silly: since we (the audience) can easily deduce it, he should have known immediately.

March 6, 2013 5:31 am  #9

I'm sure Sherlock DID know it immediately, he just wanted them to say it loud, mostly because both of them were reluctant to do so. One more game of power, just like comming to the palace in a sheet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 6, 2013 4:36 pm  #10

Schmiezi wrote:

like comming to the palace in a sheet.

So much anger in this sequence!  Sherlock comes to the palace in a sheet and calls his brother a queen.  Mycroft publicly reveals and sneers at his virginity.  Mercy!

-------------------
Are you local?

March 25, 2013 10:47 pm  #11

Is he really a virgin, though? I can't really imagine Sherlock having a romantic (let alone physical) relationship with anybody, but still...

A severed head...
Just tea, thanks.

March 27, 2013 4:49 pm  #12

YouRepelMe wrote:

Is he really a virgin, though?

I'm going with yes, he is.  It's a powerful choice as a distinguishing characteristic because so few unmarried people remain virgins after...what...20?

-------------------
Are you local?

March 27, 2013 5:52 pm  #13

25 for some of us!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 5, 2013 11:07 pm  #14

The only young female smoker in the royal family atm would be Princess Eugenie , a notorious photo of her in a blue hoodie smoking appeared in the daily mail .
Also ....just google Eugenie scandal images . ahemmmmmmm 
She seems to fit the bill.

Your Mycroft theory is soooo funny tho.

July 7, 2013 4:20 pm  #15

Excuse me?
'The smoker' clearly refers to The Queen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2013 9:50 pm  #16

The Queen doesn't smoke . Likely the servant is acting as a go between , and the palace aides are the ones left cleaning up the " young female royal 's " mess , admitedly on the Q's behalf.

So i suppose we have 2 clients , the Q cleaning up the mess , and the younger one being the one tied up and compromised .

July 7, 2013 9:51 pm  #17

How do you know she doesn't?

July 7, 2013 10:45 pm  #18

When she was younger & it was fasionable she was known to have smoked occasionally. I think it was publicly announced decades ago she gave up , it was mentioned recently and a few other times in documentaries that she doesn't but still allows guests to.

July 8, 2013 7:28 am  #19

So I'm out of touch.
Hardly suprising.  I loathe the monarchy.

July 8, 2013 9:34 am  #20

lil wrote:

When she was younger & it was fasionable she was known to have smoked occasionally. I think it was publicly announced decades ago she gave up , it was mentioned recently and a few other times in documentaries that she doesn't but still allows guests to.

But they kept the public successfully in the dark about that fact - so the "Half-Welsh" (forgot his name) mentions during the scene. I think he is referring to the Queen - she´s the "client" in my eyes, whether she smokes in reality or not plays no role. It´s a peace fiction .

Last edited by anjaH_alias (July 8, 2013 9:35 am)

Board footera