BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2013 3:51 am  #1

Did anyone else notice the knife?

There is an inconsistency in the Reichenbach Fall episode, and I can't figure out if it's a mistake by the writers or deliberate.  Near the end of the episode, in St. Bartholemew's Hospital, when Sherlock and Watson are trying to figure out where Moriarty's key code is, Sherlock tells Watson that Moriarty didn't touch anything in 221B Baker Street except the apple.  But it struck me immediately that when he visited Sherlock (the tea scene) he also touched the knife with which he carved the apple.  In fact, it was still sticking in the apple and Sherlock used the knife to pick it up.  How could Sherlock miss that, when he catches the minutest details normally?  Did Sherlock (and the writers) mean that the knife wasn't important? Or was this the un-Sherlock-like moment, and it was really misdirection on Sherlock's part? Or just a mistake on the part of the writers?

I went back to see where the knife came from.  You never see where Moriarty got it; it just appears in his hand right before he sits down.  There isn't any point where he is shown picking it up, or taking it out of his coat; it just appears.  Not sure if we're supposed to infer that he picked it up or that he brought it with him, but I don't see any opportunity for him to pick it up.  At the same time, a knife very like it shows up near the beginning of episode 1, first season, where Sherlock sticks it in the mantelpiece, so maybe it's supposed to be the same one and it was in the apartment already.  Of course, Moriarty did touch it, so maybe he planted a key code in it??

That would mean in the final confrontation between Sherlock and Moriarty that Sherlock knew the key code existed and was playing ignorant so he could use the key code later, perhaps to help fake his death (although it wouldn't help him survive the Fall, obviously).  What's puzzling me the most is that the episode seems to go out of its way to deny the existence of Moriarty's key code.  When Moriarty denies its existence in their final confrontation, he could simply be doing it to keep Sherlock trapped into committing suicide, but as Moriarty explains how all his break-ins were accomplished, we see images of the break-ins that corroborate what he's saying.  Always before in the show, such scenes have been things that really happened, not fake.  And why would Moriarty use conventional means to make it look like he had a key code, if he really had one?  And a key code like that really is impossible.  There's nothing that all computer programs have in common that could be exploited like that.  On the other hand, upon re-re-re-rewatching the episode, I notice that Mycroft thinks the code is real, so maybe it is, or maybe he and the international spies have all been fooled.

In sum, I can't tell if we're supposed to think the key code's real or not.  On the one hand, it certainly makes a good un-Sherlock-like moment for Sherlock to have been fooled into thinking that the key code existed, but that doesn't help explain how he faked his death.  On the other hand, it's really un-Sherlock-like to miss the knife, so I think he's just pretending to be surprised to fool Moriarty into thinking he was convinced the key code didn't exist, so he can go back (after "death") to fetch it.  He probably didn't have it when he told John they needed to go back and find it, so he couldn't have used it to help fake his death before the Fall, and it certainly wouldn't have helped him during the Fall, but he could have used it to cover his tracks afterward.  And maybe it will provide the reason Sherlock stays undercover, until he could go back and get it.

(Another really good candidate for the un-Sherlock-like moment was when Sherlock begged Moriarty for (and got) a moment of privacy.  I suspect he took some drug then.)

So, who missed the knife - Sherlock or the writers?  And if Sherlock "missed" the knife, what might it mean?  Any deductions, anyone?

February 25, 2013 11:21 am  #2

Re: Did anyone else notice the knife?

sherlockdabbler1 wrote:

I notice that Mycroft thinks the code is real, so maybe it is, or maybe he and the international spies have all been fooled.

I think Mycroft also knows that the code is not real, and that he's just pretending too when he talks to John about it. It's my belief that Mycroft is in on the whole thing from the beginning. He and Sherlock both know the code isn't real and are both pretending because, in reality, you're right - a code like that would be impossible, and they're both intelligent enough to realise that.

sherlockdabbler1 wrote:

(Another really good candidate for the un-Sherlock-like moment was when Sherlock begged Moriarty for (and got) a moment of privacy.  I suspect he took some drug then.)

This is actually a canon moment. At the Reichenbach Falls just before their fight "to the death", Holmes asks Moriarty if he can have a moment in peace - during which he scribbles his little note to Watson.

The knife thing is kind of odd. Why didn't Sherlock say "he didn't touch anything, just an apple and a knife" for example? It certainly looks like one of Sherlock's jack knives that he uses to pin down the post or the Cluedo board, but on Sherlockology.com it's listed as one of Jim Moriarty's props, which suggests that it did actually belong to Jim and not to Sherlock, therefore, he brought it with him.

It's true that it seems to just appear out of nowhere. This would suggest he had it hidden in his hand already. Perhaps he used it to pick the lock on the front door of 221B. After all, he got in pretty easily and he doesn't have a key, so he must have had to pick it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

February 25, 2013 2:44 pm  #3

sherlockdabbler1 wrote:

Near the end of the episode, in St. Bartholemew's Hospital, when Sherlock and Watson are trying to figure out where Moriarty's key code is, Sherlock tells Watson that Moriarty didn't touch anything in 221B Baker Street except the apple.  But it struck me immediately that when he visited Sherlock (the tea scene) he also touched the knife with which he carved the apple. 

And he drank tea... So he touched much more things than just an apple.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

February 25, 2013 4:54 pm  #4

AndyO. wrote:

sherlockdabbler1 wrote:

Near the end of the episode, in St. Bartholemew's Hospital, when Sherlock and Watson are trying to figure out where Moriarty's key code is, Sherlock tells Watson that Moriarty didn't touch anything in 221B Baker Street except the apple.  But it struck me immediately that when he visited Sherlock (the tea scene) he also touched the knife with which he carved the apple. 

I think Sherlock simply meant: I had an eye on him all the time, he had no time to hide something. Expressed in: "An apple, nothing else". No time for adding all the unimportant items (like tea cups or anything else) at that moment. And absolutely Sherlock-like: He doesn´t like to explain much when he is thinking :D.

February 25, 2013 6:46 pm  #5

anjaH_alias wrote:

AndyO. wrote:

sherlockdabbler1 wrote:

I think Sherlock simply meant: I had an eye on him all the time, he had no time to hide something. Expressed in: "An apple, nothing else". No time for adding all the unimportant items (like tea cups or anything else) at that moment. And absolutely Sherlock-like: He doesn´t like to explain much when he is thinking :D.

That's exactly what I think. Other things were just unimportant.

ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ᴥส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้

March 8, 2013 8:02 am  #6

anjaH_alias wrote:

AndyO. wrote:

sherlockdabbler1 wrote:

I've been thinking about this particular segment of conversation: "good, you got that too" (which doesn't really make sense as Sherlock didn't get the key code", and then: "beats like digits blah blah blah". Since when does Sherlock bother explaining everything?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

Board footera