BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2013 6:57 pm  #1

Mycroft & Sherlock: Family resemblance

I was wondering if Mycroft's statement toward Sherlock

was true. So I did a little research:

And finally, I could easily imagine those two heads being eternalized on a stamp or a coin.

Any additions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 24, 2013 7:00 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft & Sherlock: Family resemblance

You' ve been thorough as always. There is so much unsaid history between them. And the idea with the stamp is really good, this profile shot is brilliant. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 5, 2013 1:54 am  #3

The two actors don't look much alike, but have taken great pains to cultivate similar poses, expressions, behaviors and habits. Well spotted.

You forget, I was a soldier. I killed people! You were a doctor. I had bad days!

March 5, 2013 10:58 am  #4

That is the genius of thorough formation of character. I love it when you hear similar speech patterns too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 6, 2013 8:30 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

That is the genius of thorough formation of character. I love it when you hear similar speech patterns too.

Just found one:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 8, 2013 8:16 pm  #6

Today I was sitting in a car for hours with a boooring driver who didn't want to talk with me.  So I had time to THINK...(I always have stuff to think about!)
And another similar Mycroft/Sherlock speech pattern came to my mind:

"Goodbye, John. See you very soon."  - "Goodbye, John. (Laterz)"

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 12, 2013 8:06 pm  #7

Here is another attutude the two brothers have in common - according to the view of John and Irene:

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 12, 2013 8:21 pm  #8

You're right. That's probably the reason why they fight all the time - they both want to be the highest power.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

May 25, 2013 3:45 pm  #9

One more thing Mycroft and Sherlock have in common: Both do pour the tea.
In fact, they are the only ones to be seen doing so in the whole series (apart from Soo Lin's demonstration for the tourists and her working on the ancient tea pots).

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

June 24, 2013 10:16 pm  #10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

June 25, 2013 6:03 am  #11

Well observed, QE. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 25, 2013 6:25 am  #12

Some of it is just good cinematography, too.
Russell Toevy notes on the commentary that his fave shot is where the camera goes from Henry steepling hi hands that way, to Sherlock doing the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 25, 2013 8:20 am  #13

Brillant!

I love those two and the complicated and very interesting relationship they have.

One of my favourite Holmes bros moment is in the Great Game, when Mycroft pays a visit to his brother to ask him to investigate on the death of Andrew West.

Look at them sitting in front of each other in a similar position, like they were each other's reflection in the mirror...

Both playing with their fetish objects and focusing on them...

Sherlock's violin...

Mycroft's umbrella...

And I just LOVE that moment Sherlock asks John "How's Sarah, John? How was the lie-low" and Mycroft corrects him and says "Sofa, Sherlock. It was the sofa." (John's face as his reactions to these deductions is just priceless) : this is a subtile way to show Mycroft's power of deduction even surpasses Sherlock's, as stated in the canon.

Just like old times...

Board footera