BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2013 5:22 pm  #21

Re: Sebastian/Seb

I don't think they are particularly friends at all, nor do I think that Sherlock cares what Sebastion thinks of him.  He gets upset because Sebastion tells him not to get sidetracked (he hired him to find the security breach, not find out who killed whom).  Sherlock takes the case for two reasons: it's interesting to him, and to prove a point about his skills (he tells Sebastion he doesn't want the money, but John takes it when Sherlock's not looking).  I think the only thing that gets to Sherlock is when John corrects him when he calls him his "friend".

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

June 28, 2013 6:49 pm  #22

When Sherlock introduced John as his friend to Sebastian, and John interjects colleague (as Sherlock introduced him to Sally in SiP), Sherlock looks disappointed.  He was so proud to introduce a friend - since Seb made a point later of how "we all hated him" that John downgrading himself to colleague was a bit of a blow,  No idea of how much time between SiP and tBB has passed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of dragons for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup

Dr. Horribles sing along blog
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn
Burn
(yeah, it’s two r’s. H, O, R, R, yeah right.)
Burn

July 18, 2013 11:37 am  #23

I was really annoyed when i bought the box set and i sat down all ready to watch one of my favourite scenes and the subtitles say "so ?" instead of "Seb" 

July 27, 2013 12:46 pm  #24

Sherlock may be recalling some painful memory, he seems very indecisive about whether or not to take the case in the beginning.  It's interesting to me that at the moment when John is struggling to ask him to borrow money, he suddenly decides to take the case.  I wonder if he was trying to save John some dignity, as I have no doubt he split the money with him at the end (even though he told Seb he didn't do it for money.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

July 28, 2013 9:12 am  #25

He prob would have been to Oxford and Cambridge as he mentions, iirc, formal hall.Afaik of British  universities only Oxford and Cambridge have Formal Hall.  Bit of incongruity here too because afaik formal hall is a very formal occasion, usually dinner, with gowns and speakers-not breakfast! Its not a place but an event.In canon Sherlock goes to Oxbridge but doesn't graduate so I'd assume that's the deal here. Oxford isn't far from London! Other places have it but I don't think they call it formal hall. 

"Seb" is a weird thing to call someone because its one of those abbreviations that isn't automatic. Its not like Benjamin=> Ben or Tobias => Toby that basically everyone assumes someone uses when they see the long names written down. Its perfectly normal to get people who go by "Sebastian" so it would feel like evidence of a close friendship thing to abbreviate. It would be almost like calling Sherlock "Sher". With James=> Jim he chooses that abbreviation. One obvious possibility is that Sebastian did go by Seb when he was younger but its still kind of an close friend thing I think. You'd be introduced as Sebastian.

Last edited by beekeeper (July 28, 2013 9:13 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

July 28, 2013 2:18 pm  #26

Except maybe Lord Coe, he was usually referred to as Seb Coe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 28, 2013 4:33 pm  #27

I don't think the nickname means anything...

I know a lot of Sébastien (french equivalent of that name) and they all go by "seb" except in very formal situations.

My boss is called Sébastien and I call him "Seb": yes, I'm quite familiar with him (I mean I don't use a very polite language with him, more an informal one) but he's not my buddy and I'm not his friend either.

And no, I really don't think Sherlock & Seb were friends. Mycroft made it quite clear to John that Sherlock never had any friends. (in SIP "how many friends do you think he has?" and in RBF when John suggests that Richard Brook may be a school friend, Mycroft chuckles and says "of sherlock's?", I guess same goes with University. Also, everyone seems surprised to see how Sherlock's relationship develops with John, i.e Lestrade and Donovan, they've known him for a couple of years and never seen him making friends with anyone)

BUt there is definetely something with this scene. THe way Sherlock says "friend" (he really emphasizes it and looks a bit disdainful when saying this)

I think Seb was probably among the ones that made fun of Sherlock while at uni, but seeing as hypocrite he looks like, I can perfectly picture him making fun of Sherlock behind his back and then pretends they were friends, but I'm sure Sherlock wasn't interested at all.

And now Seb really seems to look down on Sherlock and don't take him seriously.

I think Sherlock was somehow proud to show he finally made a friend, maybe it was some kind of revenge on the past, that would explain why he emphasizes the word "friend". And then he looks disappointed when John corrected him and said "colleague".

I think he's way more affected by this rather than by Seb's behaviour (which he had probably expected anyway)

The only thing I'm sure of is that I want to hug Sherlock so bad during this scene!! I mean, look at his face! You just want to comfort him!!

Just like old times...

May 13, 2016 5:21 pm  #28

josabby wrote:

Sherlock may be recalling some painful memory, he seems very indecisive about whether or not to take the case in the beginning.  It's interesting to me that at the moment when John is struggling to ask him to borrow money, he suddenly decides to take the case.  I wonder if he was trying to save John some dignity, as I have no doubt he split the money with him at the end (even though he told Seb he didn't do it for money.)

I'd like to think that's why he took the case, and I also like to think that he did split the money with John.  At any rate, this would make a great idea for a fanfiction story (hint, hint, fanfic writers! =)).

What do the rest of you think?

Board footera