BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2013 1:57 am  #1

Britpic: Stood vs Standing

Ok you Brits out there. Do you really use phrases like "He was stood" rather than "He was standing"? Because I've read a lot of fics that use the word 'stood' where I would have used 'standing' and it boggles my mind and I want to know if the British really do speak like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

February 10, 2013 2:05 am  #2

Re: Britpic: Stood vs Standing

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=964813

Personally, I don't get it either - but stood seems to be placement and standing seems to be an actual action; not sure.

Last edited by saturnR (February 10, 2013 2:06 am)

February 10, 2013 2:55 am  #3

Wow ok. So sounds like it's a regional dialect thing that has become more widespread. I find it difficult when reading though as it immediately thrusts me out of the story world while I convert it in my head so I can continue reading lol

Last edited by Wholocked (February 10, 2013 2:56 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 22, 2013 8:33 am  #4

A character might say "He was stood.". TBH as a Londoner I'd place it as kind of cockney. The cabbie in SiP would have said it. So its perfectly appropriate in dialogue.

In not-dialogue, no, I'd  personally say, "he was standing" or "he stood.".

But its not an enormous thing. I think "He was stood" errs very slightly on the side of over-colloquial and confessional, and I prefer plain writing for myself though I'm not saying such a style can't work in skilled hands. It wouldn't leap out at me as wrong though and I can think of sentances in which it would be fine. It kind of elevates the action, it implies something statuesque about the person by using the passive voice to describe their actions. When Sherlock is standing on the rooftops in the unaired pilot "He was stood on the rooftops =>insert purple adjectives" could be acceptable. Its not how I'd write but it creates an effect. "He was stood talking to Lestrade, trying to decide whether to order chips or sausages, eggs and beans, when  => insert event,", could also be right. Its about context.

Like I say I would not use it except for bathotic effect but that's stylistic. I wouldn't see it as wrong per se.

I think its probably a colloquialised form of the pluperfect, if that helps.

hth. 

Last edited by beekeeper (April 22, 2013 8:37 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

Board footera