BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2014 11:09 am  #141

Re: The Imitation Game

What do you mean with arrogance, Solar?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 8, 2014 11:18 am  #142

This, for example:

ALAN TURING
Gentlemen, I don’t think you could
figure out who broke into my house
if he walked up to you right now
and spit in your bloated face. What
I could really use at the moment is
not a bobby but a good cleaning
lady. So unless one of you has an
apron in your car that you’d like
to put on and lend me a hand, I’d
suggest that you file your reports
and leave me alone.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 8, 2014 11:29 am  #143

SolarSystem wrote:

I think when it comes to the arrogance, there could also be a bit of Assange... but I'm sure Benedict will only give us one person, and that's Alan.

I don't think Alan was arrogant or rather to him his behaviour wasn't arrogant. According to his biography he was truthful, very shy, he was always saying what he thinks and he didn't like talking about not important (to him) things. He always had his point of view and usually didn't care about what other people will think or will say. He was also very independent and had his own way of doing everything he touched. That's probably why some people thought he was arrogant.

I really like that this film would show his years of youth in Sherborne school for boys because it was very important part of his life and it had affected him in many ways.

I also hope that in this film won't be many mathematics stuff because his biography was full of that and it makes hard to read and understand.

Last edited by MartaSt (May 8, 2014 11:35 am)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 8, 2014 11:34 am  #144

Hmh, I think one can read it as arrogance, I don't. Anger, yes, but I think arrogance implies that one expresses he/she feels superior to others.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 8, 2014 11:42 am  #145

Marta, I'm only going by those excerpts from the screenplay here now.

Harriet, it certainly remains to be seen if this will truly turn out to be arrogance or something else. As for expressing that he/she feels superior to others... when it comes to the screenplay, we really don't have all that much to go on right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if he at one point or another does indeed express exactly that. It seems that in his voice-over he does it right at the very start of the movie.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 8, 2014 12:04 pm  #146

As for the above quote - we do not know at which point he will say it. Maybe after he went to the police because someone broke into his house and then they turned against him and started to investigate him instead of the criminal. 

Marta: I agree with you.This is how I understood his character , too. But maybe I will have a look at Hodges again where I took a lot of notes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 8, 2014 12:53 pm  #147

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he may have been slightly autistic? Hence him needing to be asked directly a question ("do you want lunch?" and not understanding that he was being invited otherwise - he was said to be quite isolated because of this.
Also, at a guess, I'd say his manner with the Police was bordering on rude because he didn't want them prying too much in his home - maybe there were things there he didn't want them to see? We'll know better when we see the whole scene, of course.
I'm really looking forward to it, but I think it might be a bit of a heartbreaker.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 8, 2014 12:56 pm  #148

In the end, we'll also have to keep in mind that this film is a work of fiction, at least to some extent. I'm pretty sure Benedict wouldn't have agreed to be part of it if the Alan we see in the film will be a lot different to what the real Alan was. But still... there always is a bit of creativity involved, as well.

May 8, 2014 1:03 pm  #149

I agree with you both, Tinks and Solar. There are theories that he might have been at least on the autistic spectrum. And they will take some liberties, i.e. creative decisions, but as long as they stay true to his character and life I am fine with that. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 8, 2014 1:07 pm  #150

Here is another interesting piece of information (warning: short extract from script) together with a pic of the actor playing young Alan:

http://bloggingthebatch.tumblr.com/post/85054686024/from-the-script-christopher-cryptography-is-the

May 8, 2014 1:28 pm  #151

After reading that review I think this film just might kill me.  

The whole "lunch" scene already broke my heart.  My son is autistic and this reminded me so much of him.  If you ask him if he's hungry he'll say "why"?  It use to bother me but now I just respond with something like "oh, I just thought I might feed you."

It would not surprise me at all if Turning was on the Spectrum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 8, 2014 1:36 pm  #152

But he was able to enter into a partnership, wasn't he? I didn't read his biography because I'm afraid to understand little. Because of my English skills.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 8, 2014 1:37 pm  #153

Wow, Susi, that excerpt from the screenplay is heartbreakingly moving... 

May 8, 2014 1:38 pm  #154

Gently, I will send you a PM. Maybe some people would regard this is as a spoiler. 

Solar, yes, this is wonderful. Really brilliant writing. 

May 8, 2014 1:40 pm  #155

SusiGo wrote:

Here is another interesting piece of information (warning: short extract from script) together with a pic of the actor playing young Alan:

http://bloggingthebatch.tumblr.com/post/85054686024/from-the-script-christopher-cryptography-is-the

Brilliant, Susi. Thanks for posting it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 8, 2014 5:23 pm  #156

SusiGo wrote:

Marta: I agree with you.This is how I understood his character , too. But maybe I will have a look at Hodges again where I took a lot of notes. 

Susi, do you know any other books about Turning which are more like biography and less like mathematics manual?   I can't say that Hodges book is bad, I like it very much, but sometimes it was hard to break thorugh all this science stuff.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 8, 2014 5:27 pm  #157

I read only this and Jack Copeland's book which is easier to understand but also concentrates on his scientific work. I do not know if there is a more personal biography. 

However, there is a very good documentary on Youtube where many of his friends and contemporaries are interviewed. It is called "The Strange Life and Death of Dr Turing". I can really recommend it. 

Last edited by SusiGo (May 8, 2014 5:29 pm)

May 8, 2014 5:34 pm  #158

Thank you very much, I will definitely watch and read this

"

May 8, 2014 5:53 pm  #159

I study mathematics. When I watch a film and there are some equations, matrices, integrals and other strange and scary symbols, I stop the film and try to understand them. However, I think "The Imitation Game" will be the first film I won't be doing this Or at least not when I'll be watching the film for a first time. I've read the article and I can't wait to see this film!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

May 8, 2014 6:07 pm  #160

Marta wrote:

I study mathematics.

Wow, I admire you I have some maths when I was studying chemistry and for me it was the hardest subject (even physics was easier).

I strongly recommend you Hodges book about Turning. There's a lot of mathemathics stuff, I think you will like it

"

Board footera