BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2015 12:39 pm  #1281

Re: The Imitation Game

SusiGo wrote:

Only two weeks to go and there is next to nothing in German media as far as I can see. Today I read German news about award nominations by the Producers Guild of America and they did not mention the film at all, just "Boyhood" and "Birdman", although TIG is nominated as well. 

Maybe they don´t like him because he cracked Enigma..  only joking. But I thought the same when I searched the local cinemas for announcements of the film and there was still next to nothing. Really strange! On the other hand Benedict expecting a baby made it to the home page of Süddeutsche Zeitung.. priorities, people!! 

January 13, 2015 1:55 pm  #1282

Yes, I also get the impression that German media only report about him as long as he gets engaged, becomes a daddy, or does photobombs. Who wants to know about his work? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 13, 2015 2:04 pm  #1283

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, I also get the impression that German media only report about him as long as he gets engaged, becomes a daddy, or does photobombs. Who wants to know about his work? 

Odd, any idea why your media is like that Susi?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 13, 2015 2:07 pm  #1284

Not really. Maybe they are just very slow in recognising "new" talents. Over here is mainly known for Sherlock and STID because much of his work has never been shown on TV or screen. I am a bit at a loss, to be honest. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 13, 2015 6:45 pm  #1285

And finally a well-deserved nomination for Morten Tyldum and his team. 

http://www.dga.org/News/PressReleases/2015/150113-Awards-Feature-Film-Noms.aspx

January 13, 2015 6:55 pm  #1286

Yay, wonderful!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 13, 2015 7:45 pm  #1287

Morten Tyldum has been nominated for a Director's Guild Award for The Imitation Game.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2015/01/13/directors-guild-nominates-richard-linklater-wes-anderson-snubs-selma/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 14, 2015 8:22 am  #1288

I am SO glad, was furious about Tyldum being snobbed by GG and Bafta.

January 14, 2015 10:24 am  #1289

No idea how to move it , so i deleted it. 

Last edited by A lovely light (January 14, 2015 12:10 pm)

January 14, 2015 11:03 am  #1290

We should discuss this in the other thread, the one with the spoiler warning. I cannot move the post, so please do it yourself, a lovely light. 

January 15, 2015 4:52 pm  #1291

My local theater gave me a lovely surprise, on Monday they're showing it as a pre-premiere! 

Apparently it will be a fancy viewing, with 'a glass' included in the price. 
Yay! 

I have waited about a year for this film! It's so strange to know it's actually here!
And now with a load of Oscar nominations as well! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 15, 2015 4:56 pm  #1292

Yay, wonderful! Enjoy, it's a wonderful movie!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 18, 2015 10:04 pm  #1293

Sorry, just a little rant:
Sigh, no award for Benedict or the film at the London Critics' Circle Awards. Nothing at the Golden Globes. Nothing at the New York Film Critics Circle Awards. This is getting disappointing. Redmayne, Keaton, Spall - they seem to prefer everyone to him. I wish he himself or the film would get a least one major award so he could dedicate it to Alan Turing. 
Rant over.  

Last edited by SusiGo (January 18, 2015 10:09 pm)

January 18, 2015 10:37 pm  #1294

Maybe he'll have more luck with the Bafta's... 

I'd really love to see Benedict accept an award for this, both for himself and especially for Turing! (and I haven't even seen this yet)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 18, 2015 10:47 pm  #1295

At least we can congratulate Alec Lawther on his well-deserved Best Young Actor award. 

(But to think that Benedict was nominated as actor of the year and best British actor and lost out both times … sorry, I will stop now). 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 19, 2015 7:54 am)

January 19, 2015 7:35 am  #1296

Yes, but on the whole it is becoming very frustrating. All these nominations and no wins, neither for Benedict nor for the film itself.
It is a bit like Sherlock: while it is patently the best television show (and performancec) in years if not decades, last year Emmy was the first important award Benedict got for it.

January 19, 2015 8:28 am  #1297

I've said this yesterday to Susi, and I'll just repeat it here: Keep in mind that it's human beings who are sitting in all those jurys and who give their votes. Yes, some of them are 'experts', but still... even experts can be idiots. And subjective. And biased. And they also have a personal taste. And yes, none of this shouldn't influence their decisions too much, but hey... it's all this combined with the fact that we're talking about a huge business here. 
It is frustrating indeed, but I have more or less come to terms with the fact that awards are nice to have - but that in the end not winning them doesn't mean that your work is crap and others did better jobs. Because that's not the case. All I'm saying is "Titanic". Huge, expensive movie, lots of Oscars, but please... no real substance apart from some pretty amazing SFX.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 19, 2015 8:47 am  #1298

I know you are right. And that I am biased myself because of being a fan.
It is just that sometimes I get the impression that they are giving the prestigious looking but ultimately gratuitous consolation prizes to Benedict (Britannia Award, Variety Award) while others are honoured for their specific performances. It is a bit like getting a life achievement award at 38.

January 19, 2015 8:57 am  #1299

Well, it's not just an impression, because that's actually what has been going on so far. And we will probably never know why it seems to be so difficult for Benedict to walk away with an award for a specific role. Of course he's always up against actors who also did fantastic jobs, but I agree, he'd definitely deserve more than one award for his Alan (and yes, I'm biased, too). But not receiving one doesn't diminish his achievement in the least.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 19, 2015 9:06 am  #1300

This is true. And many, many people seem to appreciate the film and his work. 

But awards create attention as well. And therefore I am sad for the film itself, as you are. At the London Critics Circle Awards TIG was not even among the 10 best films while there were two that are going to be released only in 2015 in the UK. 

Board footera