BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2014 1:02 am  #1201

Re: The Imitation Game

I'm not sure I like that one - it seems to be overplaying how similar they are (the men, the films and the actors). 

December 13, 2014 1:57 am  #1202

Gonna watch this during Christmas, really looking forward to it!

And the director is Norwegian. 

Also: Did any of you see the horrible interview where the female journalist asks Benedict "If the main character in this movie is supposed to be gay, how come there are no sex scenes?"

The most cringe-worthy and stupid question I've heard so far. And Benedict's reply is as awesome and posh as he is:

"If you need a sex scene to show that a character is gay, all hope is lost for subtle storytelling." 

Last edited by Vhanja (December 13, 2014 1:59 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 13, 2014 11:10 am  #1203

Aw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2014 12:50 pm  #1204

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Not sure if this video has been posted anywhere yet but it's worth seeing more than once.    BC is interviewed by "The Carpetbagger," a reporter from The New York Times who does features about the Oscar race.  He's discussing Alan Turing and the video alternates between talking about The Imitation Game and the new Steven Hawking biopic.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/movies/100000003298134/battle-of-the-british-geniuses.html?playlistId=1194811668553

There's no doubt that Eddie is brilliant as Stephen Hawking, and he for sure deserves every award for it, but it also makes me a bit sad that Benedict didn't get these international attention when he played Stephen Hawking equally brilliant 10 years ago.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 13, 2014 12:58 pm  #1205

Benedict was fantastic in Hawking!  I wasn't aware of him then (he wasn't nearly so famous) so he just WAS Stephen Hawking for me.  But it was a TV film, so I don't think it was competing in the same arena at TTOE.  

December 13, 2014 1:17 pm  #1206

I know and not taking anything from Eddie's achievements...but it just bugs me that in mentioning Redmayne, nobody is talking abouit Benedict as Hawking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2014 1:45 pm  #1207

I agree. He did it before him and he was brilliant. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 13, 2014 1:46 pm  #1208

Liberty wrote:

Benedict was fantastic in Hawking!  I wasn't aware of him then (he wasn't nearly so famous) so he just WAS Stephen Hawking for me.  But it was a TV film, so I don't think it was competing in the same arena at TTOE.  

That's not what I meant and there are/were award shows for TV films, too. Just the recognition in general. It's a matter of principle for me because no one seem to mention it in articles and interviews.

But otherwise social media does a lot for people and films to get known around the world and 2004 was too early for that.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 13, 2014 1:49 pm  #1209

Nor too early for award shows!

December 13, 2014 1:52 pm  #1210

At least got a BAFTA nomination and a Golden Nymph award. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 13, 2014 2:58 pm  #1211

Yep.

December 13, 2014 3:48 pm  #1212

Vhanja wrote:

Also: Did any of you see the horrible interview where the female journalist asks Benedict "If the main character in this movie is supposed to be gay, how come there are no sex scenes?"

The most cringe-worthy and stupid question I've heard so far. And Benedict's reply is as awesome and posh as he is:

"If you need a sex scene to show that a character is gay, all hope is lost for subtle storytelling." 

Yes, we were talking about that further up in this thread somewhere. My take: I think she just wanted to see Benedict in certain positions. I don't think he concerns were for the story. 

December 13, 2014 4:56 pm  #1213

What do some women do for our reputation?

December 13, 2014 5:01 pm  #1214

For my reputation? Not much I hope.  Or did you mean women in general?

December 13, 2014 5:19 pm  #1215

Tee Hee.

December 13, 2014 6:07 pm  #1216

silverblaze wrote:

Yes, we were talking about that further up in this thread somewhere. My take: I think she just wanted to see Benedict in certain positions. I don't think he concerns were for the story. 

Well, I don't blame her for that. 

But I DO blame her for actually asking such a question. And they say Sherlock is the one lacking social skills...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 13, 2014 10:57 pm  #1217

Maybe someone should have told her that she was thinking out loud. 

December 13, 2014 11:40 pm  #1218

silverblaze wrote:

Maybe someone should have told her that she was thinking out loud. 

Should we invite her to join us here so she can get that stuff out of her system before future interviews?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 13, 2014 11:44 pm  #1219

Ha.

December 14, 2014 12:05 am  #1220

I think that'd just make it worse. 

Board footera