BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2014 5:46 am  #101

Re: The Imitation Game

Well the U.S does!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 2, 2014 6:49 am  #102

Now we can just hope that the rest of the world does not have to wait for too long. 

Last edited by SusiGo (May 2, 2014 6:49 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 2, 2014 6:53 am  #103

Hopefully not too long after the US for the rest of us!
I'm wondering what audience figures will be like for this Film - it's something I'd have wanted to see anyway, even if Benedict wasn't in it, because I'm intrigued by Turing's story - but do you guys think it's a subject that will appeal to a large audience?
I really hope it's well received.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 2, 2014 7:02 am  #104

I cannot imagine it to become a real blockbuster. The subject might be too special for that. And it is not cut out for a children/young teenage audience who make up a considerable part of the film-going public.
Which does not mean that it is not going to be successful. Weinstein paid a record sum for the US rights and he is a business man after all. I am quite hopeful that this time it will be a success for Benedict as an actor and the film as a whole (other than TFE). 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 2, 2014 7:58 am  #105

Yes, I hope it's a real turning point for him; well, to be honest I think it will be, as far as his Movie career goes - for good, or bad. Hopefully very much for the good
I agree with you Susi on the audience likely to attend this film. It will be quite a specific audience I think, which is why I'm slightly nervous about its box office figures, but as you say, Weinstein is a business man, so....

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

May 2, 2014 8:33 am  #106

I would assume that it will not be shown in the huge multiplexes but rather in art-house cinemas. It's a very special topic after all, and I don't really believe that it will appeal to such a huge audience. Which doesn't say anything about the quality of the film or Ben's acting, I just don't think there's a lot of blockbuster potential there. Although let's not forget that Kira Knightley is in it, and I think that quite a few people will go and watch it specifically because of her.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 2, 2014 8:47 am  #107

The Fifth Estate wasn't screened in my country so I'm having doubts about having The Imitation Game released here. Fingers crossed!

May 2, 2014 9:03 am  #108

So no chance for an Oscar? Yeah .. also doubt s blockbuster potential. The topic isn't mainstream.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 2, 2014 9:08 am  #109

Why no chance for an Oscar? They often go to smaller, more arty films. In this case it could even be an advantage. 
His performance in STID was brilliant but there was not the slightest chance of a nomination just because it was a blockbuster. 

May 2, 2014 9:30 am  #110

I agree, smaller movies very often have good chances to get nominations at least, real blockbusters... nah. There were lots of nominations for small, more independent movies this year...

Last edited by SolarSystem (May 2, 2014 9:31 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

May 2, 2014 10:22 am  #111

Sherlockology wrote that Imitation Game will be realise in France on January 28 2015 and Germany on February 5 2015. Can't wait, but probably waiting would kill me

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 2, 2014 10:23 am  #112

What??? No! Why so late? 

May 2, 2014 10:24 am  #113

To help us with the hiatus, I suppose 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 2, 2014 10:26 am  #114

And the UK? Maybe we could charter Gerti. 

May 2, 2014 10:32 am  #115

No imformation about UK (which is strange for me, but anyway) or other countries in Europe. But I suppose that it will be realised about the same time (of course in Poland it will probably be in May or later but that's our luck xD )

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

May 2, 2014 10:36 am  #116

This idea is paramount, Susi. 
An Oscar for Best Actor would be possible then? To be honest in my "Pre-Benedict-Time" I didn't follow the academy stuff that much. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

May 2, 2014 10:38 am  #117

Well, I have no idea who the competitors might be. But the fact that it is a smaller film is in no way a disadvantage. So he be in for a nomination. As are the film itself, the director, etc. 

May 2, 2014 10:53 am  #118

Please, no, that's almost a year until February 2015..!!!

And gently, this year Matthew McConaughey won Best Actor for a movie that was only shown in small movie theatres and which I would call very, very independent. I think Benedict's chances couldn't be much better than with TIG.

May 2, 2014 11:03 am  #119

Oh, yes, I watched Dallas Buyers Club on the plane. That was really very independent.

May 2, 2014 11:43 am  #120

This makes me so happy!  And as far as the Oscars go a November release date is excellent.  It will be very fresh in voters minds when the time comes.

Now, bring on the trailers!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera