BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 30, 2014 5:51 pm  #1161

Re: The Imitation Game

New information for our American members. I am afraid most of you will have to wait until Christmas to watch the film. 

"Following a route similar to The King’s Speech, TWC will expand The Imitation Game to six additional markets and about 25 theaters by Dec. 12. The film is going into wide release on Christmas Day."

http://deadline.com/2014/11/the-imitation-game-box-office-debut-per-theater-average-1201302952/

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 30, 2014 8:38 pm  #1162

But good to hear it had such a successful opening! 

December 1, 2014 10:01 am  #1163

Eight nominations for TIG at the Satellite Awards!  The awards ceremony will take place on 19 February 2015. 

The film has been nominated as best film, for best actor, best supporting actress, best director, best score,   best editing, best adapted screenplay, and best art direction & production design. 

Keeping fingers crossed. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 1, 2014 11:00 am  #1164

Here's hoping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 2, 2014 8:25 pm  #1165

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

December 4, 2014 6:52 pm  #1166

Another Imitation Game interview, this one from the San Francisco Chronicle: No 'Imitation’: Benedict Cumberbatch portrays code-breaker Turing

December 7, 2014 10:55 pm  #1167

Hollywood Take (a publication with which I am unfamiliar) analyzes Benedict's (and The Imitation Game's) Oscar chances.

Last edited by REReader (December 7, 2014 10:55 pm)

December 8, 2014 10:50 am  #1168

Another interview talking about Oscar chances: http://filmclassjunkies.com/2014/12/02/imitation-game-review/

It describes it as a "safe" (in terms of awards) film, but I liked the other "safe" flims which he criticises (Chariots of Fire, The King's Speech, Slumdog Millionaire).   He also feels that the film should have stuck with the main, code-breaking story.  Maybe that would have worked better as a film - I don't know.  But I think people underestimate how famous Turing is and that we are aware of how he was treated - I think it would be very difficult, at this time, to make a film which didn't address that. 

Last edited by Liberty (December 8, 2014 10:50 am)

December 8, 2014 11:16 am  #1169

Liberty wrote:

He also feels that the film should have stuck with the main, code-breaking story.  Maybe that would have worked better as a film - I don't know.

Well, if the code-breaking is the main story for him, then he certainly watched the wrong movie. It would be a completely different film if you concentrated on the code-breaking, it would be a thriller set in WWII and we would have seen completely different things. It might have given more room for the other characters in the film, and it certainlx would have been dramatic, too. But I think you can't do this story justice by not concentrating on Turing. It gives a lot of heart and emotion to the film, which probably some people don't like very much. But I personally think it's paramount.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 8, 2014 1:02 pm  #1170

Is it not about code breaking?  

December 8, 2014 1:20 pm  #1171

Yes, it is the main part of the film (and Turing is still central during that part).  There are flashbacks and flash forwards.   So there is a central part that is more like a thriller (in fact, it's almost framed as a detective story, with Turing telling the detective about his past), with detours to Turing's relationship with Christopher and to his arrest and "treatment".   I honestly think it would be very difficult to leave that last part out, particularly so soon after Turing's pardon.   It's part of what people see as his story.  Perhaps Christopher could have been left out, but that would mean leaving out one of my favourite scenes!   And also Christopher is very much written into the story - we probably do need that backstory. 

Solar, I think people DO like the heart and emotion in the film.  Why wouldn't they?

December 8, 2014 1:34 pm  #1172

Liberty wrote:

Solar, I think people DO like the heart and emotion in the film.  Why wouldn't they?

Depends on the people, but I'm sure that there are viewers out there who'd prefer to have a full-fledged thriller about code-breaking and WWII, without any of that emotional stuff. And maybe even without Turing talking about his homosexuality.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 8, 2014 1:37 pm  #1173

From the very beginning it was planned as a film about Turing, not about the history of Bletchley Park. This is at least how I understood it. It is a film which centres on him as human being, his achievements, his personal development and his tragedy. If people want a pure WWII thriller about BP, they can watch the fictional (and heterosexually oriented) "Enigma" if you ask me. 

December 8, 2014 2:01 pm  #1174

Totally agree, for me the film is perfect the way it is, I wouldn't want it any other way.
I was just reacting to Liberty's link, and let's face it, there will always be people who don't like the direction a movie is taking and would prefer something else. Like I said, for me TIG is perfect the way it is. But some people (probably mostly men, although I don't want to start a gender discussion here) might prefer less emotion and more thriller elements. 

December 8, 2014 3:40 pm  #1175

Thanks, Solar, for your explanation.  I haven't come across that view yet.  In the article the "safe" Oscar nominations mentioned were emotional films with a heart too - I suppose that means that audiences, or at least the Oscar panel, do like that. 

Personally, I'd have been happy to see less of the thriller aspect in the film too, but I can see that it works in the film.   And I do like the "lighter" feel of some of it - Turing was so much more than just a tragic hero.   There were always going to be vast bits of Turing's life that would have to be left out, but I don't think it's possible to miss out the events  leading up to his death.   And I suppose I went into it already knowing "the story" so some of the thriller/mystery aspect was lost on me. 

I think some of Morten Tyldem's quotes from here (helpfully linked to in the article REReader posted above), help to show that the thriller/mystery/detective feel was deliberate:

There’s a spy thriller in the middle of this war drama

None of us wanted to make sort of a dusty history lesson. This movie could easily become dark and very serious but we wanted something that would celebrate him, that was engaging, that was thrilling and that was fun. I mean, I wanted there to be a lot of humor in it, because he was so full of life in a way. His life was so rich. He deserves a movie that is engaging that’s not so stuffed down and boring.

We wanted it to be told as a mystery because Alan Turing is a mystery to us, and it’s told through a puzzle. I mean, he was obsessed with puzzles, so the whole ideas was that he had to piece him together to understand him a little bit, to understand that he’s gay. That’s why he’s hiding the break in. You’re piecing the whole character together as the movie goes along and that was the big structural idea of the whole movie. It’s created as a mystery. Like the detective says in the opening, “There’s something about Alan Turing. What is he hiding? What is behind this man?”

I wonder if that's why some of the reviews are a litlle more negative?  If you see it knowing the story, it's going to be a different experience.  If you saw it not knowing anything about Turing, the thriller aspect would work brilliantly and it would be incredible!  And I think the film is aimed at an audience who don't know Turing. 

December 8, 2014 7:03 pm  #1176

Well he wasn't that negative. And it wasn't so much the emotional parts that bothered him but the fact that it had crammed in so much information. 

December 8, 2014 7:16 pm  #1177

I don't mean this review, but the others that have been a little negative - they're usually seeing it from the point of view of knowing the story already.   This reviewer seems to expect the film to be seen by somebody who doesn't know the story (which may be most of the audience), which seems to be the angle Morten Tyldum was going for.  Just about every review seems to be positive overall, though. 

I don't want to give any spoilers, but I thought the parts with the teenage and older Alan tied in very well to the main story - the film connected them up. 

December 8, 2014 9:37 pm  #1178

We in the US won't see this film until Christmas day or after. Can we be careful about spoilers on this thread?  Thanks.

December 8, 2014 9:41 pm  #1179

Mod's note:
Please use the other thread I opened for this reason if you are discussing the contents of the film. Many of us have not had the chance to see it yet. 

December 8, 2014 9:54 pm  #1180

Some of the reviews do sort of have spoilers (like the one I didn't spoil, above!). Depending on what you mean by "spoilers", of course (given that it's a story that we know) - the above ones do mention what parts of Turing's life are included, for instance.  I suppose we could post and discuss them on the other thread if that's better? 

Board footera