BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2014 10:58 pm  #81

Re: The Imitation Game

Me too Susi.  That kind of high maths make my brain hurt!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 9, 2014 6:31 pm  #82

Here's some excellent news!

Tribeca Film Institute Taps ‘Imitation Game’ Among Winners Of TFI Sloan Science Grant

By PATRICK HIPES, Managing Editor | Wednesday April 9, 2014 @ 10:36am PDT
Tags: Imitation Game, Tribeca Film Festival, Tribeca Film Institute

TribecaInstituteThe Tribeca Film Institute has unveiled its grant winners for this year’s TFI Sloan Filmmaker Fund, which supports filmmakers with cash and guidance on their films that focus on science, math and technology. It’s always a cool bunch of projects in a genre that is surely underserved, and with this year’s batch of winners getting $150,000 the fund has now awarded more than $1 million in its 12-year history. This year’s three winners include Imitation Game, based on the life of cumbBritish mathematician and logician Alan Turing, played by Benedict Cumberbatch; the Weinstein Company acquired it for $7M at EFM this year, the highest price ever for a U.S. rights deal there. (With that kind of cash in the mix I guess the Sloan grant is more of a tip-of-the-hat kind of thing.) Recent TFI Sloan projects include 2030, the climate change pic from Vietnam that opened the Panorama section this year in Berlin; the Sundance pic and Indie Spirit Award nominee Computer Chess; and Focus’ A Birder’s Guide To Everything starring Ben Kingsley and Kodi Smit-McPhee. This year’s recipients, chosen by a jury that included John Slattery, Meg Ryan, Dark Knight scribe Jonathan Nolan, will be honored at the Tribeca fest that kicks off April 17. Part of the Alfred P Sloan Foundation-sponsored events this year include a 10-year retrospective screening and panel for Michel Gondry’s Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind on April 21. Here are this year’s winners:

· Imitation Game – The life of British mathematician and logician, Alan Turing, who cracked the German “Enigma” Code to change the direction of WWII and is heralded as the pioneer of modern day computing. Benedict Cumberbatch stars with Keira Knightley, Mark Strong, and Matthew Goode. Director Morten Tyldum was nominated for a 2013 BAFTA award for Norway’s all-time top grossing film, Headhunters, based on Jo Nesbø’s novel. His first full-length feature, in 2003, was Buddy, winner of Best Film at Norway’s Amanda Awards. Screenwriter Graham Moore is the New York Times bestselling author of The Sherlockian, a mystery novel, which has been published in 16 countries and translated into 13 languages. His script for The Imitation Game topped the 2012 Black List, Hollywood’s list of best unproduced screenplays of the year and was the highest scoring script in the Black List’s decade-long history.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/tribeca-film-institute-taps-imitation- game-among-winners-of-tfi-sloan-filmmaker-grant/

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2014 9:58 am  #83

Here is some information about the an exciting new musical project about Alan Turing. Benedict attended the premiere on 26 April. 

https://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?ID=15497
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRMNi4_th-0&feature=youtu.be

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2014 10:00 am  #84

On Twitter there are some nice pics of Benedict and Louise at the event, but you know I'm a technophobe!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 27, 2014 10:01 am  #85

I saw one of two of them on tumblr. He was wearing glasses again and joined the standing ovation after the performance. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2014 10:04 am  #86

Fabulous

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 27, 2014 10:06 am  #87

Here it is:

https://twitter.com/nicky_barkz/status/460199170113298432/photo/1

And another musical honour for Alan:

http://www.outinperth.com/pet-shop-boys-honour-alan-turing/

Last edited by SusiGo (April 27, 2014 10:07 am)

April 27, 2014 10:17 am  #88

How fascinating is this man's story.  Cannot wait for the movie and not just because of Benedict.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2014 10:26 am  #89

Likewise.
I would have wanted this film whoever was in it.
Merely a bonus that it's Benedict.

April 27, 2014 10:28 am  #90

I hope they will release a trailer soon. 

April 27, 2014 12:09 pm  #91

I NEED A TRAILER

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 27, 2014 5:49 pm  #92

As do I!!

I'm clueing for looks

April 27, 2014 8:15 pm  #93

There is not even a release date yet, is there?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 27, 2014 8:17 pm  #94

No. Nothing so far. 

April 28, 2014 6:52 am  #95

I thought January had been mentioned! Where on earth did I get that from?! Seems like I'm creating my own schedule for him in my head now!
I would so love to see a trailer!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 28, 2014 6:57 am  #96

The websites I saw are saying release in 2014. And January would be too late for the Oscars. 

April 28, 2014 7:02 am  #97

Of course! Well, let's hope for Autumn then - can't wait to see this (actually I can't wait to see anything with Benedict in it! It's been too long, but this, especially).

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 28, 2014 7:18 am  #98

A trailer and a release date would be rather nice... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

April 28, 2014 11:50 am  #99

I feel certain that TIG will get released in time to qualify for the next Oscars.  Even if it's not till December.  However, they can start teasing us anytime they want!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 2, 2014 3:29 am  #100

From Twitter:

@tigmovie: Mark the calendar: The Imitation Game will be released in the US on November 21, 2014!

We finally have a date!

“Because I’m desperate, that’s why. Because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one.”

Board footera