BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2014 7:48 pm  #721

Re: The Imitation Game

After hearing her at the press conference, I am really not surprised. And after all he played Hawking already and brilliantly. This is not argument at all. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2014 7:57 pm  #722

Well. I'd say TIG is not responsible for the fact that Mrs. Hassan doesn't seem to be capable of watching "The Theory of Everything" on one day and "The Imitation Game" on the next day without drawing comparisons where there most likely aren't any. It's totally okay if she likes TToE/Redmayne better than TIG/Cumberbatch, but please, dear woman, since you seem to think that you're a very, very important journalist who should be first in line at the press red carpet - do your job the way it's supposed to be done! Goodness gracious me!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 10, 2014 7:59 pm  #723

SolarSystem wrote:

Okay, so it's not just journalists who are giving him a hard time in Toronto...
http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/toronto-woman-asks-to-taste-cumberbatch.html

I'm actually pretty glad he's already on his way back to London now to do "Richard III".

Seriously? Gosh, I sometimes forget how some people can be stupid. Why can't people think before they speak?

And generally about asking about Turing's orientation - I'm so damn sick to see that most people focus only on that aspect of his life like it was the most important thing. God damn it, he did so many things that changed our reality, he helped to win II World War, he was father of modern computers, he was pioneer in thinking about intelligence , he did some important researches in biology and most people still care only about him being a gay? I think that's absurd, I'll never understand this way of thinking. Why can't people focus on important stuff? (Sorry my hard words but that matter makes me really angry, I'm glad that at least on this forum there are people who understand this    )

Last edited by MartaSt (September 10, 2014 8:01 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

September 10, 2014 8:06 pm  #724

MartaSt wrote:

I'm so damn sick to see that most people focus only on that aspect of his life like it was the most important thing. God damn it, he did so many things that changed our reality, he helped to win II World War, he was father of modern computers, he was pioneer in thinking about intelligence , he did some important researches in biology and most people still care only about him being a gay? I think that's absurd, I'll never understand this way of thinking. Why can't people focus on important stuff?

I came to think the other day that it is perhaps just a matter of different levels of awareness, depending on one's age, one's culture etc. I can remember very well times where people used to say the same you said now but unlike you in order to avoid a discussion about homosexuality since they considered it inappropriate.
So then gay and lesbian people insisted on naming the facts instead of being silenced.
Nowadays the situation seems split - while only few people want to neglect the issue, some (perhaps still) want to focus on it and then there are those who take the achievements for granted and want to move on.
My 2 cents 

Last edited by Harriet (September 10, 2014 8:28 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 10, 2014 8:15 pm  #725

I tend to agree with you, Harriet.
Alan was a genius and won the war...yes.
But how he was treated afterwards was just vile.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 10, 2014 8:16 pm  #726

Well, I think it is a subject worth talking about but it depends on the way in which you do this. It is one thing to discuss Turing's terrible situation, his being made a security risk after having done so much for his country, his being forced to live a closeted life and not being able to be open about his sexuality. 
But one should not reduce him to his sexuality by asking why we do not see him having sex on screen or why he is not played by a gay actor. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2014 8:20 pm  #727

Oh I agree, both ridiculous questions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 10, 2014 8:32 pm  #728

SusiGo wrote:

But one should not reduce him to his sexuality by asking why we do not see him having sex on screen or why he is not played by a gay actor. 

Exactly my thoughts.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

September 10, 2014 8:32 pm  #729

And I still can't decide which of those two questions I find more ridiculous. Really, they're both so stupid. The second one shows that the questioner hasn't got the slightest clue about acting. And the first one... hell, I can't begin to put into words what I'm thinking about that one.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 10, 2014 9:00 pm  #730

SolarSystem wrote:

And I still can't decide which of those two questions I find more ridiculous. Really, they're both so stupid. The second one shows that the questioner hasn't got the slightest clue about acting. And the first one... hell, I can't begin to put into words what I'm thinking about that one.

Well, to ask intelligent questions you have to have some class yourself, you have to be literate, to have a huge knowledge about culture and in the case of Alan Turing, to be well up in the fields of history and the sciences Alan was involved in. It takes a lot of brainwork and some time to achieve that level.

While concentrating on sex and similar cheap sensationalism doesn´t cost you such effort. And it wins you some points with general public which is also mostly ignorant about all that scientific stuff, but which undestands bed affairs just marvelously - since every stupid Billyboy can have sex.

And so the journalists will continue to fall to the levels of such imbecilic Billyboys instead of striving for the higher goals and will continue to ask stupid questions about sexual orientations, Cumberbitches and similar unoriginal inanities instead of broadening the horizonts of their readers and bringing the new, thoughtful and interesting information to them. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 10, 2014 9:13 pm  #731

nakahara wrote:

Well, to ask intelligent questions you have to have some class yourself, you have to be literate, to have a huge knowledge about culture and in the case of Alan Turing, to be well up in the fields of history and the sciences Alan was involved in. It takes a lot of brainwork and some time to achieve that level. 

Well, one doesn't have to be literate or educated to be intelligent and esteeming 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 10, 2014 9:18 pm  #732

Harriet wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Well, one doesn't have to be literate or educated to be intelligent and esteeming

Of course, but it helps when you are a reporter. You have less problems to formulate questions and to come up with interesting themes if you read on the regular basis, study and educate yourself.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 11, 2014 2:25 am  #733

Liberty wrote:

One of her criticisms is that Benedict found the accent easy?

(In relation to him not transforming himself as Eddie Redmayne did, in her opinion). 

WHAT?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 11, 2014 2:43 am  #734

MartaSt wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

Very true.

The main reason we need to know about Turning's sexuality is because of what was done to him after the war.  If he had been able to go on and lead a quiet normal life it would not have been as relevant to the story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 11, 2014 5:46 am  #735

tonnaree wrote:

Liberty wrote:

(In relation to him not transforming himself as Eddie Redmayne did, in her opinion). 

WHAT?!

Yes, she said something about it not being a big leap for him to use Received Pronunciation.  Maybe because he went to Harrow?

It's an odd comment, because I'd say Benedict is noted for "transforming" himself for every role. 

September 11, 2014 5:48 am  #736

Comment from those who know nothing about him or indeeed anything about acting.

September 11, 2014 6:48 am  #737

And he worked with a speech coach to get Alan's speech impediment right. 

You know, I get the impression that she wanted to find fault with the fillm at any price and therefore came up with such ludicrous arguments. 

September 11, 2014 7:01 am  #738

Yes, her complaints sound pretty nonsensical.

It seems to me she has some issues with Benedict - because when the reporter starts to pick on such inconsequential things as accents and an actors eductation (!), it´s pretty obvious she is pulling at straws and that she has nothing really important to say about the movie itself, she is just finding some way how to diss the main star of it.

September 11, 2014 7:04 am  #739

Liberty wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Liberty wrote:

WHAT?!

Yes, she said something about it not being a big leap for him to use Received Pronunciation.  Maybe because he went to Harrow?

It's an odd comment, because I'd say Benedict is noted for "transforming" himself for every role. 

What the ...
I wonder how many performances of Benedict she'd already seen . Doubt she has the "qualification" or "right" to judge that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

September 11, 2014 7:11 am  #740

nakahara wrote:

Yes, her complaints sound pretty nonsensical.

It seems to me she has some issues with Benedict - because when the reporter starts to pick on such inconsequential things as accents and an actors eductation (!), it´s pretty obvious she is pulling at straws and that she has nothing really important to say about the movie itself, she is just finding some way how to diss the main star of it.

As I said, it may be the same BBC reporter who asked the gay actor question and got a dismissive answer by Morten Tyldum. This might explain her evaluation of the film. 

Board footera