BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2014 5:29 pm  #701

Re: The Imitation Game

SusiGo wrote:

Well said, tonnaree. I had really hoped that with this film it might be different but it seems - also regarding some of the "serious" press questions - worse than ever. Why do people not respect him as an actor? He is no cheap pin-up. 

I do think most of us respect him as an actor and a person.  Sadly though it's the idiots that get the most attention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 10, 2014 5:33 pm  #702

True.
Although I am even more angry at the journalists who instead of asking intelligent questions about the film and the issues it raises go for the silly and old Cumberbitch thing. Or basically ask the director why he cast the actor who is sitting next to him and not someone with a different sexual orientation. Oh, my. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2014 5:40 pm  #703

For pity's sake...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 10, 2014 5:42 pm  #704

Indeed. I wonder what people work for the BBC nowadays. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 10, 2014 5:46 pm  #705

Yes, the journalists should know better.   The fan - I was thinking, why on earth did she go to all that bother to embarass herself?  But maybe she just thought it was a compliment, and funny.  (I agree that it was out of order, but it was possibly meant affectionately).  I imagine it might have been different with a different actor.  Ben Whishaw, for instance.  Benedict seems to attract a particular sort of adoration. 

September 10, 2014 5:46 pm  #706

Oh. were these BBC people?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 10, 2014 5:52 pm  #707

Maybe that stupid fangirl was looking for her two minutes of fame.

I agree with everything you've just said, ladies, and let me just add: Benedict wasn't there alone, his colleagues were with him, the director was with him. They all wanted to talk about the movie and not about stupid things that have nothing to do with the film. Even that question from the BBC journalist has nothing to do with the film, it's just stupid. It seems that at the Q&A most questions were directed at Benedict anyway, and I would have loved it if people had asked questions not just for Benedict to answer, but for all of them. Yes, he is the star of the film, but still... But then having fans going out of their way to embarrass themselves and Benedict... thank you very much.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 10, 2014 5:54 pm  #708

Yes. That's..... ah, I don't know. 
Now I don't feel proud anymore.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 10, 2014 6:12 pm  #709

Mattlocked wrote:

Yes. That's..... ah, I don't know.
Now I don't feel proud anymore.

I believe with all my heart that he understand we're not all like that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 10, 2014 6:33 pm  #710

Go and watch the press conference again. It's not just Benedict who gets asked stupid questions, believe me. Keira Knightley got asked questions that had absolutely nothing to do with the movie... for example, what name she thinks her fans should give themselves - and of course as an example the Cumberbitches were mentioned. Gosh, that has nothing to do with serious film journalism, that's just bullsh** I'd expect to hear from a Daily Fail reporter...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 10, 2014 6:36 pm  #711

besleybean wrote:

The woman who asked the gay actor question was from BBC News. 

September 10, 2014 6:37 pm  #712

Heck

September 10, 2014 7:10 pm  #713

Watching the press conference again I just became aware that the design for TIG was made by the same designer as in TTSS...! Wow, that makes total sense, although the movies aren't set in the same decade, but still... one more piece of the puzzle that sounds immensely promising.

September 10, 2014 7:13 pm  #714

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Genevieve "The Brain" Hassan 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29013884

Last edited by Harriet (September 10, 2014 7:13 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 10, 2014 7:14 pm  #715

(Rolls eyes).

September 10, 2014 7:14 pm  #716

Very much so. TTSS has a very definite 70s style, it almost looks like a film made in the decade. 

September 10, 2014 7:17 pm  #717

Harriet wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Genevieve "The Brain" Hassan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29013884

Bit of a payback? Or just her honest opinion?

September 10, 2014 7:33 pm  #718

I have no idea... after all, her brilliant question didn't make it to her website as well 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 10, 2014 7:38 pm  #719

Maybe because Morten Tyldum called it "ludicrous"? 

September 10, 2014 7:44 pm  #720

One of her criticisms is that Benedict found the accent easy?

(In relation to him not transforming himself as Eddie Redmayne did, in her opinion). 

Last edited by Liberty (September 10, 2014 7:45 pm)

Board footera