BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2014 8:56 am  #641

Re: The Imitation Game

Critics will always find something to complain about, and in this case it might very well be how the film deals with Alan's sexuality. For some it'll not be enough, I'm sure. But let's face it, a film like this one that is based on true events and true people can't deal with everything without leaving any gaps. You could probably complain about Benedict's "Hakwing", too. In films like "Hawking" or TIG there is always much more to tell and show and you just have to make a selection. 
Also, the film has to work purely as a film as well. It's not a documentary, it's a movie that, let's face it, has to make money. And I'm not saying here that a film that deals with homosexuality can't make any money at the box office, please don't get me wrong! But even if the film deals with Alan's homosexuality only in the second half of the movie, that might still make a lot of sense in terms of storytelling, suspense, character development and how the story flows. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 8, 2014 9:01 am  #642

If there had been an longer, important relationship with a man, they surely would have included it. But there was nothing to show in that regard. The only "official" relationship he had during the war was his short engagement to Joan Clarke. This is a fact. 
And, sadly, you cannot really call the Arnold Murray affair a relationship. It was short-lived and on Murray's mainly dictated by his need for money. He probably even stole from Turing. Which makes it even sadder that is was this that decided Turing's fate. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2014 9:57 am  #643

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2014 10:13 am  #644

September 8, 2014 10:32 am  #645

Now I'm loving him more than before - if that's possible.

September 8, 2014 10:33 am  #646

That interview is brilliant - and he's obviously not afraid to speak his mind. This here could get him into trouble with all sorts of people:

Q: The petition to pardon Turing was actually shot down in 2012 by Lord McNally, then Justice Minister.
A: Who's Lord McNally? Well, he's probably gay. They're always the biggest homophobes.

And oh my god, he's quoting from a Morrissey song... now I'm completely deaded. 

Last edited by SolarSystem (September 8, 2014 10:39 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

September 8, 2014 10:49 am  #647

Yes, he is a very thoughtful man and can voice his ideas well. Brainy is the new sexy and all that ...

September 8, 2014 12:21 pm  #648

As a mother with a gay daughter, yes this certanly makes me love him more than ever.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 8, 2014 4:43 pm  #649

More detailed information - the production notes (please note that there may be spoilers in there):

http://twcpublicity.com/downloads/production/theimitationgame_productionnotes.pdf

September 8, 2014 5:39 pm  #650

September 8, 2014 6:17 pm  #651

All the critics are so favorable! I might watch after all the Oscars next year  . 

September 8, 2014 8:09 pm  #652

I LOVE his views and the way he thinks. He's blunt and he's right!

Thank you Ben! I'm always so proud of being a fan when I read things like that

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 9, 2014 11:11 am  #653

Unfortunately, not all the reviews are so brilliant. I have read a couple of really snidy ones, especially from U.K. press - you can see the critics are trying hard to find something to be critical about, sometimes plainly ridiculous, like B. "almost too subtle" performance.

September 9, 2014 11:17 am  #654

Like the Guardian criticising "historical spoilers" - what did they expect? The Nazis winning the war? Turing not decoding Enigma? Him living to old age and being happily married? 

September 9, 2014 11:23 am  #655

Sometimes I get the impression that a German proverb fits perfectly when it comes to Benedict and how he is perceived in his home country: "Der Prophet gilt nichts im eigenen Land." (The prophet has no honour in his own country.)
It's pretty sad and I really hope he doesn't give a sh** about it.

September 9, 2014 11:33 am  #656

miriel68 wrote:

Unfortunately, not all the reviews are so brilliant. I have read a couple of really snidy ones, especially from U.K. press - you can see the critics are trying hard to find something to be critical about, sometimes plainly ridiculous, like B. "almost too subtle" performance.

"Almost too subtle"??  What the hell kind of complaint is that?

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 9, 2014 11:35 am  #657

Yes, you may be right there. Very sad. And always bringing up the class thing and Harrow and all that. 

September 9, 2014 11:44 am  #658

tonnaree wrote:

miriel68 wrote:

"Almost too subtle"??  What the hell kind of complaint is that?

Maybe too subtle for the critic to get what's going on on screen...?

September 9, 2014 11:47 am  #659

Well, if they are as dumb as the interviewer in this video, I am not surprised. My favourite Benedict quote from that one:

“If you need to see that to understand that he’s gay then all is lost for any kind of subtle storytelling.”
—     
Benedict on the interviewer’s question why we do not see Alan Turing having sex in the film. 

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHaTt83tcz4

September 9, 2014 11:50 am  #660

Oh dear lord what a stupid question!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

Board footera