BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 19, 2014 9:43 pm  #361

Re: The Imitation Game

Maybe he just used a not so accurate word for what he was trying to say?
What makes me a bit sceptical (but really only a bit) is what Tinks already mentioned, that it might be a movie which consists of two parts that feel a little disjointed. I've seen such movies in the past and it's always been a bit annoying and chastening.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 19, 2014 9:46 pm  #362

Not enough data yet - we will soon see for ouselves. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 19, 2014 9:53 pm  #363

I wonder if this film will mention Turing's work after World War II. According to this review it won't which surprise me because it was very important part of Alan's life. But agree with Nakahara - we will see soon.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 19, 2014 10:00 pm  #364

It's always good to hear people's opinions and they make me even more excited about the film. As you have already said, we have to watch it ourselves to see whether critical remarks were justified (because I've got a feeling that all good words about Benedict's acting were 100% deserved ).

I don't even consider a possibility that the film won't be shown in Poland. I just worry we'll have to wait until next year because "The Oscar nominee" (fingers crossed!) looks good on posters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

June 19, 2014 10:03 pm  #365

I will try to form my own opinion about this film without being influenced by the reviews too much.
And I hope that he has a chance at the Oscars with this role

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 19, 2014 10:12 pm  #366

Marta wrote:

I don't even consider a possibility that the film won't be shown in Poland.

I really want to have your optimism Marta... But well most of Oscar nominees films are shown in our country so fingers crossed!

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 23, 2014 8:22 am  #367

Today is the 102nd birthday of Alan Turing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2014 8:33 am  #368

Happy birthday, Alan! I wish you'd had the chance to celebrate far more birthdays than you did... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 23, 2014 8:42 am  #369

Isn't it strange? We are thinking of a man, of whom we wouldn't have a clue about without Benedict's work.
What a shame how your life has turned ... happy birthday, Alan.

Last edited by gently69 (June 23, 2014 8:43 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

June 23, 2014 8:58 am  #370

It's strange and beautiful at the same time, don't you think? And I don't even know all that much about him yet, after all I only watched two documentaries about him. But that already was enough to make it obvious what a brilliant mind he was, and what an unbelievable tragedy befell him.
I guess if you made up his story and tried to sell it to a film producer, he would just look at you and tell you that it's too unbelievable to be true. 

June 23, 2014 9:00 am  #371

Yes. His story is really fascinating. And when I read Hodges' book, the story about the unexpected death of his first love nearly broke my heart. I suppose this experience must have influenced him strongly. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2014 9:18 am  #372

That's right, Susi. This loss is mentioned in the book again and again. It's astonishing how a love at this young age certainly influenced his entire, far too short, life.

(Tony Hadley)

June 23, 2014 1:05 pm  #373

Happy Birthday, Alan! An old-fashioned port to your well-being wherever you may be! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 23, 2014 1:22 pm  #374

Short text about The Imitation Game.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=41360

Last edited by MartaSt (June 23, 2014 1:23 pm)

"

June 23, 2014 1:25 pm  #375

Thank you, Marta. And two new pics as well. 

June 23, 2014 1:27 pm  #376

Actually three - they are on Ben's pictures thread

"

June 23, 2014 1:28 pm  #377

Have a look at the picture thread, Susi.
I thought, I had to die.

(Tony Hadley)

June 23, 2014 4:05 pm  #378

Thanks for all articles and pix, but can I just say I knew about Alan way before I knew about Benedict!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 23, 2014 5:23 pm  #379

Well, I didn't. ^^

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 23, 2014 5:26 pm  #380

I think many people did not know about him, maybe even some in the UK. After all the government tried keep him and work (and those of all the others at BP) forgotten for quite a long time. 

Board footera