BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2014 9:18 pm  #301

Re: The Imitation Game

The book is already lying on my sofa, waiting to be read. I guess I need to go on holiday, just like you and gently...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 7, 2014 9:29 pm  #302

Well, it is hard stuff. I had to skip some of the very mathematical parts but it gives you a very overview of his work. And Hodges knows probably more about Turing's personal life than any other author. And he as a very informative if slightly confusing website with lots of photos and original texts. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 7, 2014 11:57 pm  #303

*raises glass*   Thank you Mr. Turing.  For your hard work and dedication and the lives you saved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 8, 2014 2:07 am  #304

SolarSystem wrote:

The book is already lying on my sofa, waiting to be read. I guess I need to go on holiday, just like you and gently...?

The best for a beach holiday. 
And I have to admit that I still need to read another 60 pages or so. Also skipped a lot of the mathematical stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 8, 2014 9:58 pm  #305

June 10, 2014 4:55 am  #306

I saw that!  Wondered if anyone else had, and then I see your post here when looking for a spot to put it.

Interesting.  And here's a really good counter-argument I found:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140609/07284327524/no-computer-did-not-pass-turing-test-first-time-everyone-should-know-better.shtml
I think you'd find it fascinating, really!

The best points it makes, in a nutshell, is that everyone is running with the buzz of it, when it's not even accurate.  It's not a 'supercomputer', it's a chatbot program, and similar programs have 'passed' before with better scores.  Also not very scientific to run a single test with non-expert judges you picked.  The event was also apparently organized by a guy infamous in the tech world for making ridiculous/exaggerated claims to the press, and there's even long-running interesting debate about the Turing Test itself I've never really read up on.  Nice article, even more interesting subject… admit I never got familiar enough with the details of his work except knowing the historical highlights (and playing with some of those chatbots myself), but even the original test is quite different:  http://psych.utoronto.ca/users/reingold/courses/ai/turing.html

I wonder what Turing would think of all this?   Interesting how the movie, people still trying to achieve success with all of that, and all of your recent banter here (and about Turing in the news) has stirred up so much sentimental thought about technology and oppression alike.  Belatedly really appreciated the posts above and echo the frustration about so many places staying intolerant… you guys are great to listen to.  *lifts own glass*

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 12, 2014 10:09 am  #307

Just put what I believe is the first published piece of TiG fan art on the thread here. Hope you like!

I'm clueing for looks

June 18, 2014 9:07 am  #308

Just found this. I have no idea how to get there or who was invited: 

https://twitter.com/RealCumberbum/status/479170911908933632/photo/1

This seems to be organised by this company:

https://secure.mymovieview.com/Home.aspx

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 18, 2014 12:12 pm  #309

This first link says that this page doesn't exist (at least on my computer). Can you write what was in it?

Last edited by MartaSt (June 18, 2014 12:13 pm)

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

June 18, 2014 12:21 pm  #310

Strange, it seems to have disappeared. I have no idea if it was illegally posted or photoshopped but looke quite genuine. Just the name of the holder was blackened. 

It was an invitation for a private screening of the film.
Date: 18 June, 7.30 pm.
Place: AMC Loews Theater, Lincoln Square, NYC. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 18, 2014 12:22 pm)

June 18, 2014 2:04 pm  #311

June 18, 2014 2:22 pm  #312

*chants*

TRAILER
TRAILER
TRAILER

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 18, 2014 2:25 pm  #313

tonnaree wrote:

*chants*

TRAILER
TRAILER
TRAILER

YES!

June 18, 2014 2:33 pm  #314

Double yes!
Can't be long now!
I'd seen that there's supposedly a screening in New York today? Don't know if that's true or not... I never know what to believe on social media; there can be some quite alarming behaviour out there sometimes, imo!!

Last edited by Tinks (June 18, 2014 2:34 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 18, 2014 2:34 pm  #315

I posted the link this morning but it seems it was taken down. It said:

Place: AMC Loews Theater, Lincoln Square, NYC

June 18, 2014 2:36 pm  #316

Interesting...if it's authentic then I guess we might hear some reaction in the next few days..like I say, though, I've seen some quite odd behaviour around Twitter etc., so I never know what to believe!!

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

June 18, 2014 2:37 pm  #317

It's DEFINiTELY time for a trailer. Come on, guys!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 18, 2014 2:38 pm  #318

It came with a pic of the invitation which looked quite convincing. Only the name was blackened. But of course you never know ...

June 18, 2014 2:39 pm  #319

SusiGo wrote:

I posted the link this morning but it seems it was taken down. It said:

Place: AMC Loews Theater, Lincoln Square, NYC

That's exciting!   I'm sure there will be an embargo on actual reviews but we could get some new tidbits.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 18, 2014 4:31 pm  #320

I guess trailer will be within a month. Fingers crossed for that, God knows how I'm badly waiting for it 

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

Board footera